Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 27th March 2006, 10:18   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
On top it feels stable at 150kmph which even the NHC cant, the Indica cant beat Swift
Aseem bhai... do you really run your swift at 150? How often? Lol... frankly speaking, i won't be able to say anything on that as I have never tried taking the Indica to those marks! Just as devarshi said.... even I have doubts whether Indica ever reaches that 150 kmph mark. But then I find that figure to be of academic merit only. If swift owners had been really doing such speeds on a regular basis you would have heard of Mumbai-Pune runs taking hardly 1.5 hrs or max 2hrs.

But yes, the fact is if you are the zip-zoom kind of driver Swift is definitely a car you should look for, and Indica should not even figure anywhere in your list.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 10:32   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2) It is maybe more stable than the Indica at 150 kmph but I wont comment on this as I have not driven swift or Indica at high speeds. On top of that I dont think Indica even reaches 150kmph. but then how many actually take their hatches at 150kmph? Lets not bring NHC into the pic.
Indica turbo reaches 150kmph on the speedo. (Well indigo(62bhp one) does, and so I guess indica will. As for stability the normally aspirated indica is pretty stable with the speedo needle going beyond max(160kmph). Been there done that, and that too with the stock MRF ZVTS tyres on a downhill section of the Bangalore krishnagiri track. Same for the indigo stability. dont know about the swift, but looking at the stars at NCAP rating, I think it would be atleast as safe as the indica and safer than the older generation cars like Esteem/Zen etc.,
As for travel companies buying indica for long trips, the reason is mileage. It gives 18+ on diesel on highways and thats a huge saving for commercial opertators compared to petrol cars. The dont care two hoots about stablity etc., And you dont see them buying the Indica Petrol, right
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 11:27   #33
BHPian

Default Safety?

I've read much about the safety of the Swift, 4 star NCAP ratings etc. Does the Indica have similar ratings?

The reason I bring this up is because it's mentioned in the earlier posts that the Indica is a sturdy car. It might be sturdy all right, but I'd prefer a car in which I can walk away from a crash <Ok, we're not talking Merc level safety here, a crash in which I can live>

Also being planted on the road on the highways is more a feature of the design of the car rather than the weight. I've driven a few tall boys, and travelled in the odd SUV <read Scorpio, Sumo etc> which are much heavier, but these cars do wallow!

The Indica is heavier all right, but is it the safer car?

I'd urge the initiator of this thread to buy the safer car!

Superavi

Last edited by superavi : 27th March 2006 at 11:29.
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 11:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Arrow 150 Kmph !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Aseem bhai... do you really run your swift at 150? How often? Lol... frankly speaking, ..................
But then I find that figure to be of academic merit only. If swift owners had been really doing such speeds on a regular basis you would have heard of Mumbai-Pune runs taking hardly 1.5 hrs or max 2hrs.

But yes, the fact is if you are the zip-zoom ki.nd of driver Swift is definitely a car you should look for, and Indica should not even figure anywhere in your list.
Zappo, You're spot on.. all this stuff about 150 KM is of acedamic interest.... I do long distance on my Fusion on and off.... anything above 120 on the best of roads is asking for it... how many roads are designed for 150 kmph average speeds here? Yes, you may hold your car for 10/15 mts and all the average time you gained is lost by some stupid bus/car trudging slowly on the speed lane....... need I say more.

What zip-zoom driving in cities is possible !!!!! Traffic is thick as triacle and how much time do you gain by zipping and zooming? I wonder what real difference in time a swift will make compared to an Indica D, in a 10/15 km thick traffic like ring road in Delhi, any city road in Bangalore, Annai Salai in Chennai or any busy roads in an A class city. From real utility point of view, these marketable features mean little............

--Ramky
=======================
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 11:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi
It might be sturdy all right, but I'd prefer a car in which I can walk away from a crash <Ok, we're not talking Merc level safety here, a crash in which I can live>
While at the Tata Motors service centre this time around, I saw a crashed Indica brought in on a truck. Climbed onto the truck with the service centre manager because the car looked badly damaged, and we found it had been smashed on ALL sides - left, right, front, rear AND the roof. There was no part of the car that hadnt been dented or smashed beyond recognition.

This car had allegedly crashed in Munnar - the driver apparently fell asleep at the wheel, the car hit one of the milestones on the left side of the highway at pretty high speed, flipped over twice on the road and THEN fell into a 30 metre gorge at the end of it all.

The two occupants crawled out of the windows relatively unscathed, except for a damaged shoulder resulting from being bounced around. Again, the occupants WERE NOT WEARING SEAT BELTS

The lorry driver gave us a graphic description of what happened - he was coming from the opposite direction and all this happened in front of his eyes.

The passenger cabin was in pretty good condition, except for a part of the roof which had caved partially.

Either they were lucky, or that is one tough car.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 12:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

Agree steeroid, indica is one tough car.
I had a hit with the santro coming pretty fast. while the santro flipped on its roof, my car had little damage. Total cost still came to 65K due to radiator, plastics lights etc, gone, but nothing happened inside the passenger cabin or to the engine, except for the fuel pump which was slightly damaged.
Also another of our indicas hit a huge rock on the highway at 80kmph, hit the bridge guard rail(not some flimsy railing but the thick guard rale), twisted it, spun around in oncoming traffic path and got hit by a huge military truck at the rear end, which does not enjoy as much protection as front. The rear passenger had minor injuries due to bouncing around(that model does not have rear seat belts). The driver was unhurt but very very shaken, the seatbelt ensured not a scratch on the guy.
Among the small cars that is Wagon R Santro Zen etc., Indica is the safest. Also Tata is the only manufacturer in India with a huge in house crash testing facility
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 12:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

A few things seem to have been overlooked in this discussion:

1. Indica CRDI is expected in August, 2006. This will probably make the Turbo-Diesel Indica obsolete soon.
  2. The "all new" Indica (meaning actually all new, not a cosmetic update) is expected in 2007, resulting in the same problem of quick obsolescence.
  3. Indica suffers from the "Taxi-Image" problem.
  4. Swift is as heavy (if not heavier) than the Indica, if weight and safety are supposed to be synonymous. The car meets the latest European safety specifications, having been designed keeping the European market in mind, rather than the Japanese or the Indian market.
  5. Swift Diesel CRDI is expected to be launched towards the end of 2006.
  6. Swift is a fresh, all-new car whereas Indica now looks dated. (Those sub-standard plastic wheel arches which come off in a jiffy and the weirdly designed tail-light cluster in the so-called "refreshingly-new" Indica have actually spoilt the good looks of the original IDEA styling.)
All the above points seem to tilt the scales heavily in favour of the Swift. However, if the daily running is sizable and running cost is very important, Indica would win hands down.

Actually, the right comparison would be between Swift CRDI Diesel and the "all-new" Indica 2007 CRDI, when the two are launched. So, in a way, it is indeed like comparing apples with oranges.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 13:18   #38
BHPian

The only thing which tilts the scales in Swift's favour is the Driving Pleasure, because of the zippiness and the petrol engine (diesel engines, non crdi, will always be rougher than the petrol). In rest of the parameter, SWIFT is either equal or way behind than the Indica, and the most important one is the running cost. So if you can afford that extra Inital cost(assuming SWIFT is a bit costlier) and the running cost(but who doest not like to save money) and not going to seat five people or old people in back then SWIFT is the way to go else it is V2 Turbo.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 19:51   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Swift and daily go to my office in an Indica/Innova cab. Trust me, to compare the two in terms of comfort is like comparing apples with oranges. Swift is miles apart in comfort, driving pleasure, ride quality, zippiness than Indica. The front seats are also way way better than Indicas seats.
I have driven Indica many a times, though not the turbo Indica, but as far as normal Indica is concerned, its very slugish.
Swift definitely has rattle problem, but its a manufacturing defect of the rear seat, which has been fixed in the newer lot, and fixed in my car as well. So rattle free now
Tell me more about this rattle. I have done about 3,500 Kms on my Swift and have not experienced any rattles yet. But then, I have music on all the time. I think I'll turn off the music and listen carefully next time.

What specifically was the manufacturing problem and what do I tell the guys at the service center to do?
parijnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 10:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Indicas (including the much maligned 'v1's) are extremely safe structurally, extremely FE, well mannered at high speeds (and the body roll etc are a pain mostly going over potholes and speed breakers at sub 40kmph). I drive a city, and my bro's V1 and dad's V2 never missed a beat out on the highway. Inside the city, well, if the Swift (have not driven one) is anything like the 1st version Zen (owned one for 2 years), its the obvious choice apart from ownership costs.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 12:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranc
I am a little worried on the mileage aspect of the Swift.
I would take the Swift as its a well powered car.
But, how much mileage is everybody getting on the Swift ?

As for Indica... If Cab drivers are using it, the vehicle must be damn good for the abuse they put it through.
The Indicas interiors arent so bad either.
if u travel less than 40 kms go for swift, more than 70 kms per day Indica
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 17:44   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Aseem bhai... do you really run your swift at 150? How often? Lol... frankly speaking, i won't be able to say anything on that as I have never tried taking the Indica to those marks! Just as devarshi said.... even I have doubts whether Indica ever reaches that 150 kmph mark. But then I find that figure to be of academic merit only. If swift owners had been really doing such speeds on a regular basis you would have heard of Mumbai-Pune runs taking hardly 1.5 hrs or max 2hrs.

But yes, the fact is if you are the zip-zoom kind of driver Swift is definitely a car you should look for, and Indica should not even figure anywhere in your list.
Zappo, I too have felt swift quite stable at high speeds when compared to getz or indica.
I drove all the way from Vijayawada to Chennai in 5 1/2 constantly clocking 140 to 155+ in the speedo. After 140KMPH Swift really feels underpowered and does not have the grut to pull up fast. It takes time and clean road to go anywhere beyond 140.
I had tried driving my friend's getz and indica on the same road before and found then no where near swift in stability. Getz crossed 150 Mark but the non turbo indica never went beyond 135.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 18:20   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
Zappo, I too have felt swift quite stable at high speeds when compared to getz or indica.
I drove all the way from Vijayawada to Chennai in 5 1/2 constantly clocking 140 to 155+ in the speedo. After 140KMPH Swift really feels underpowered and does not have the grut to pull up fast. It takes time and clean road to go anywhere beyond 140.
I had tried driving my friend's getz and indica on the same road before and found then no where near swift in stability. Getz crossed 150 Mark but the non turbo indica never went beyond 135.
Hmmm... so you actually managed to test an Indica upto 135! Good for you. I myself won't ever need anything beyond the occasional 120 (very rare)... Thats it. And till there Indica holds very well. I do not have faith on the roads in this country to drive at anything beyond 100 on a sustainable basis. I have driven through various states and seen roads and accidents to know that the most unlikeliest of things happen here. So I would rather spend an hour extra on the highway and cover that 6 hours distance in 7 rather than ending by the roadside or somewhere even worse.

Just this last wednesday my Indica had a bent front left rim. I was driving on a newly carpeted road that has been widened to 3 lanes each side just a month back. I was travelling on 70-80kmph when all of a sudden I saw an open round hole (a huge one of the size of a manhole) in the middle of the road. It was not there on tuesday when I passed by that road. It looked like some utility company dug that and left... It was too late, I tried to swerve but the wheels fell in and then came out. My Indica's suspension almost howled in pain and gave a bone jarring shock to the occupants. The small terracotta Ganesh who happily smiles from my mirror (stuck with FeviQuick) came flying out of the mirror. However the Indica immediately gained composure and kept flying. Its only when I reached home I discovered the rim has been badly bent! :(

So much for speeds on these roads! :P
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 18:41   #44
BHPian

Zappo,Thanks for your advice. I am slow in cities, but in highways try to have a speed run now and then. Nowadays slowly decreasing the driving speeds in highways too.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 18:53   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Zappo, I cant comment about the rear seat as I drive my Swift and go to office in front seat of Indica. Therefore as far as front seats are concerned, Swift has much more comfortable front seats.
Most people on team-bhp will disagree for this..
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote