Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 10th April 2012, 10:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Diesel hatch in exchange for 2 sedans!

Hi BHPians,

I am in a strange dilemma ( Yes once again ) and hence thought its best to put it to vote here. My garage currently consists of:
1. Toyota Altis, 2011
2. Nissan Sunny, 2012
3. Toyota Innova, 2006
4. Honda City, 2005
5. Mitsubishi Lancer, 2003

I am planning to sell off both the Honda City and the Mitsubishi Lancer. The City should fetch me around 2.5-3L and the Lancer around 1.3-1.5L ( prices are just approximate ideas). That leaves me with a purse of around 4L. Now I am moving to Vadodra, Gujarat for 3 years for my higher studies and need a car there. So I have 2 options:

1. Sell only the Lancer and take the city with me to Vadodra. In this case I will have to bear with higher fuel bills. The city would be a little cumbersome to drive around in Baroda where traffic is dominated by bikes. At the end of 3 years the city will sell only for around 1L I guess so I will lose around 1.5L there. It has already done 60K kms and might prove a little costly to maintain from here on.

2. Same as above but I hold on to both the cars since the Lancer has anyway hit rock-bottom price and is in otherwise good shape. We also love the car even today and moreover it doesn't make sense to me to sell it for 1L only without any necessary use for that money.

3. Sell the City and take the Lancer with me. In this case all the points mentioned in option 1 apply here too with the added burden of Petrol costs since the Lancer does not return me FE of more than 8-9 kmpl. Also its a 10 year old car and I do not intend to waste anytime in garages incase it develops a problem. Also the car has obviously aged although is still in good overall condition.

4. Sell of both the cars and go for a hatchback. This can be a diesel or a petrol although I prefer diesel. Petrol hatch can also be considered since all other cars in my garage are diesel and secondly FE for hatches would be better so the break-even period would be more than 5 years probably with a running of 1000kms. This option also gives me a new car, add a hatch to my garage which can be later used for city runs and would also prove easier to drive in Vadodra. The hatches I was considering were the Ritz, Figo, Brio etc.

So what do you guys suggest? Which of the above makes most sense?
Old 10th April 2012, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Diesel hatch in exchange for 2 sedans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi BHPians,
Now I am moving to Vadodra, Gujarat for 3 years for my higher studies and need a car there. So I have 2 options:
My suggestion, if the move to GJ is only for 3 years and then back to Delhi then its not wise to buy a new car there. As when you move back there would be hassle to shift the registration NOC and the likes, which is an unnecessary expense. In case you decide to sell the hatchback when leaving GJ then also it does not make sense as 3 years is quiet a short time to sell a car in my opinion.

My suggestion would be sell one car, and take the other one to GJ. Sell the one which is in bad shape and keep the one which is in good shape and can last another 3+ years.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:12   #3
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2012 at 18:52.
DjNik is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th April 2012, 10:22   #4
BHPian

Option 4 seems most practical to me!

1. You will be driving the hatch on a daily basis and in the city, so a diesel hatch makes practical sense.

2. Shelling out a lot of money on the maintenance of an old car and selling it for a lower price after 3 years doesn't make sense either!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sell the City, take the Lancer to GJ, and use the money from the City to fund whatever extra fuel/maintenance expenses the Lancer incurs.

I'm suggesting this based on the fact that you seem more attached to the Lancer than the rest. Decisions based on fuel prices, depreciation and resale values are fine to a point. But owning a car should be more than that, specially one like the Lancer.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:24   #6
BHPian

If I were to be you, I would sell only the Lancer and hang on to Honda City. I guess your estimation is wrong and the City Lovers wont let the prices go down as low as you are estimating them to go, so if the City is in good condition (it should be IMO since its a 2005 model) , retain it, sell the Lancer if the money that it fetches you is going to help in any way, and go for a hatchback of your choice.

My pick would be the Figo, which is still the best diesel hatchback.

Last edited by HorsPwr : 10th April 2012 at 10:30.
HorsPwr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Diesel hatch in exchange for 2 sedans!

My suggestion - Go for option 4. Choose a diesel hatch assuming you would put in some additonal cash apart from the resale. This will save you on your fuel bills and get a good resale value if you intend to sell it at the end of 3 years. So after 3 years you are again in the market for a new car.
A Toyota Liva or Maruti Swift would suffice.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

I think you should sell both and get yourself a Brio, if it fits into that budget. Its a nice fun to drive hatch and should give good enough fuel economy too. It seems to be doing well, and going by that you should have no problem selling it off in case you choose to after 3 years.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 11:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
My suggestion, if the move to GJ is only for 3 years and then back to Delhi then its not wise to buy a new car there. As when you move back there would be hassle to shift the registration NOC and the likes, which is an unnecessary expense. In case you decide to sell the hatchback when leaving GJ then also it does not make sense as 3 years is quiet a short time to sell a car in my opinion.
No I would be buying the car in Delhi itself and getting it back with me. Infact thats why I am thinking of a new hatch since I intend to keep it for 5-7 years. There is apparently not much problem in Gujarat w.r.t outstation vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
A Toyota Liva or Maruti Swift would suffice.
I was thinking about the segment below the Swift ( B segment I guess). I am looking at Ritz , Figo, Brio, I10 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think you should sell both and get yourself a Brio, if it fits into that budget. Its a nice fun to drive hatch and should give good enough fuel economy too.
In the hatches I am confused about Petrol Vs Diesel.

Diesel hatches I am considering are: 1. Ritz , 2. Figo
Petrol hatches : 1. Ritz, 2. I10, 3. Honda Brio

The top contenders would be the Ritz and the Brio depending on the type of fuel.

@vb-san: Jazz is a great car but I am not sure if I need all that extra space since the main purpose of this car would be quick city drives. So the smaller size of Brio/Ritz would help in the traffic. Also which one would be more fun to drive among the Brio and the Jazz?

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2012 at 18:54. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 10th April 2012, 11:12   #10
BHPian

I think you should sell the City, hang on to the Lancer, and buy yourself a diesel hatch, preferably a used one in good condition here in Delhi and take it along for the higher studies in GJ. This way, you will not have to bear the higher financial burden for buying a new car, transfer, NOC hassles, etc, and would save on the depreciation also.

The key here is BUY A GOOD CONDITION DIESEL HATCH.

All the best.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Diesel hatch in exchange for 2 sedans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
There is apparently not much problem in Gujarat w.r.t outstation vehicles.

Is that an assumption or for real? You can be picked up by the GJ traffic guys and asked for proof.

The top contenders would be the Ritz and the Brio depending on the type of fuel.

Also which one would be more fun to drive among the Brio and the Jazz?
Both Brio and Jazz are fun to drive as they come from Honda stable. I would still vouch for a diesel hatch keeping in view of fact that petrol price can go any direction in the next 3 years (read northwards). Ritz is a good city car if you are comfortable with the looks otherwise then Brio it is for you.

Another option to be thought of is buy an used car in GJ itself and sell it after 3 years, will also be well within your budget.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
The key here is BUY A GOOD CONDITION DIESEL HATCH.

All the best.
Thats a big issue na. One can never be sure of the car's history. Also a new car can run trouble free for as long as we keep it so if I choose to go for the hatch then it would be new only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Both Brio and Jazz are fun to drive as they come from Honda stable. I would still vouch for a diesel hatch keeping in view of fact that petrol price can go any direction in the next 3 years (read northwards). Ritz is a good city car if you are comfortable with the looks otherwise then Brio it is for you.
Well my friends in Gujarat have been driving outstation cars and have never faced any problem. Also I asked a senior member from Vadodara and he also told me not to worry about the cops at all.

A diesel surely makes more sense but there is hardly any diesel car in that 5L bracket. The Ritz does look ugly, the Figo looks kind of oldish ( just my views). I have to check out the Beat diesel.

The other more premium hatches would cost me close to 7L rupees or more.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am sure your 2nd gen City will fetch much more than just 1L after a couple of years. Even 1998 City still fetches about a lakh plus. I think you have made up your mind to get rid of the old warhorses and get a new hatch. If that is what you want, go ahead but if you are still considering keeping one of them, I would suggest keep the city, easy to maintain, good FE and good resale value. Like someone suggested, buying a car in another state and moving it back will cost you a small fortune and a lot of hardwork.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2012 at 18:55. Reason: STRICTLY no acronyms when referring to cars please
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 11:45   #14
BHPian

Completely agree here. Also, since you are confused between the choices. Here is what I would go for:

1. If it is a petrol hatch, go for Honda Brio.
2. If it is a diesel hatch, go for Ford Figo, be sure here, it is regarded as the best diesel hatchback. My fellow petrolheads will second me on this ! I personally have a very strong inclination towards Figo.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2012 at 18:55. Reason: Quoted post deleted
HorsPwr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 11:46   #15
BHPian

I wonder, at the outset, about how much driving you could possibly do when you ate pursuing higher studies. May the regular commute to college but even that seems unlikely since you will stay on or close to the campus.

I think the best option would be to sell one out of the two cars, depending on their condition, the worse one, and then taking the other car to Gujarat. Cops arent so interested in old cars from other stations and I dare say there are easy ways of convincing them of your 'just arrived in Guj' status. There is no point in pumping money into new cars and the worrying about scratches, bumps and the like when you should be working on your PG. Old cars can be parked in any place, can be left unwashed, can be driven with freedom in crowded conditions, can be even 'neglected' if I may say something as blasphemous in this forum. The pressures on a PG or PPG student can be enpormous and even someone as distinguished as Dr Mohit would be better off with an older car with sound mechanicals.

I say, spend 5 - 10 thousand Rupees on a thorough service and take the old City to Gujarat.
Closed Thread