Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 14th May 2008, 09:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Out of the 3 I would suggest UVA. Also, as karanraheja mentioned, it has not got good response from crowd. But I do see it improving.
The other choice if you wanna add is i10. That should suit your bill with great interiors. but for looks, i will leave it to you since it depends on person to person.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 10:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Stile 1.6 all the way. Its one helluva hatch to drive. UVA has a terrible terrible gear shift and isn't that comfy either.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 10:38   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks, ride quality & space are on your list, while power / FE aren't. The UVA and Getz fit your requirements to the T. Don't consider anything else. Test-drive both before signing on the dotted line.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 10:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

UVA any day, kinda no brainer. With 3 years maintanence free bundle its perfect for you.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 10:44   #35
Team-BHP Support

A very under rated car that is slowly creeping up my list of proables.
The Logan at 5.56 lakhs OTR as per a very well documented post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ls-petrol.html (Why I bought Logan 1.6 GLS (Petrol))

Last edited by bblost : 14th May 2008 at 10:45. Reason: ed
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 11:08   #36
BHPian

Dude, I would go in the other direction from the crowd and suggest the Palio 1.6. It is the ultimate driver's car in your budget range. I had similar requirements as you, apart from the power part (I don't race either, but still like to feel all those 100 horses under the hood once in a while). It is "built like a tank" as some say in this forum, has great driveability and superb space for a hatch. Interiors are tad dated though, so is the console. If you can live with that, go for it. The car can stand a lot of abuse, and is a dream to drive. Test drive one, you will fall in love.
Getz is also a very competent car, but overpriced. Cannot comment on the UVA or the diesel variants, having never driven either. All the best in your search.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 11:36   #37
BHPian

I do mind:
  1. Driver legspace: (i am a tall guy and i need to get in & out the car without much effort even the back seats are occupied.) - UVA if you opting for height adjustable steering
  2. Reliability - lesser service center visit. - Palio 1.6 /UVA
  3. Driving pleasure: under 50-60KM/hr on highways (Can you understand me??) - Palio 1.6
  4. Comfort inside - (seating, AC, suspension etc.) - Palio 1.6
  5. Driving comfort - gear shift, breaking, steering response etc. to drive in a city with no dividers - I need a car built for the driver - Palio 1.6
  6. Looks - love at first sight - exteriors & interiors. (not everyone is going to look into the spec) - UVA

Last edited by ravikn : 14th May 2008 at 11:37. Reason: spelling correction
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 13:28   #38

Palio all the way.
UVAs gear box is terrible + wiper,indicator are reverse( they hav not migrated from LHD fully)
san_pandey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 16:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san_pandey View Post
Palio all the way.
UVAs gear box is terrible + wiper,indicator are reverse( they hav not migrated from LHD fully)
Just curious.
I have driven UVA and never found the gear shifts terrible. But i see some posts indicating it as terrible. The one I drove is 2008 model. Does it mean its rectified now?

About the wiper+indicator, i think its just a few times try. And then it will be used to. Also, he said its his first car. So, should not have much problem.

What I was trying is, these are not good reason to avoid the vehicle.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:11   #40

As some you buddies advised, i think i should add GETZ too to the list. (More confusion now )

I love the exterior looks of UVA over GETZ and a lot more than Stile. Still this depends on person to person, am i right from the perspective of common men?
About interior, GETZ wins. right?? How ugly the interior in UVA is?? I ask you this because this is my first car and I don’t have much idea how good an interior can be
If you look palio stile from the eyes of a layman, will you like it?? Because when I drive this car to my native village my car should impress those people too…

Thanks again...
sjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:25   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

See if you like the UVAs interior then dont bother about other's opinion because its your money & its you who would be driving the car. So select what you like & not others as looks are always subjective
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:43   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
See if you like the UVAs interior then dont bother about other's opinion because its your money & its you who would be driving the car. So select what you like & not others as looks are always subjective
Thanks friend. You are right. But as this is my first car, i may be looking from a different view than one who already owns a car. Just to make sure that i am looking at right parameters when i define a 'good looking'. I aim at a car that i love as well as one that impress others.

thanks a lot.
sjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:50   #43
BHPian

@mjothi,

In UVA, the shift to 2nd gear would put you hand in awkward position as it is slightly differently positioned compared (may be it is too deep, am novice explaining the technicality here ) to other cars. I too did observe this problem while taking the test drive of UVA
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 01:02   #44
BHPian

Well, I have been driving an Aveo U-VA for over 8 months now and unlike a few here I will certainly NOT call the gear-shift "terrible"! Not at all. The gear is only a "bit" hard on the reverse thats all. Overall I think its a wonderful car (rather under-rated) with no maintenance issues at all. I have never had a situation where i had to open the hood. Never really, absolute low maintenance.

Other than that the other features for your info:
Very spacious.
and considering your height requirements.It has wonderful space and tilt steering.
Good steering and control.
Maybe the hyundai has better interiors n a smooth gear shift, but i think the uva beats it in mileage and running cost. Then again, you can always get your interiors done from elsewhere. I mean the dealers provide grey leather seat covers, not black which would be better.
About power, I think it works fine for my needs. There are many palio lovers here who will be pitting for the tank. I dont have any idea about it so won't comment on it.

Cost should be around 5.3/4 lacs for the mid(final price) and top end for around 5.8 / 6.0 Lacs
matrix_ren is offline   Reply With Quote