Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 1st September 2012, 17:34   #46
BHPian

Default re: Buying a flood hit car for cheap - Is it worth the risk?

Will it be possible to register these cars i.e.- will they clear RTO inspection?
And will insurance companies insure these cars?
If yes to both of the above, I think it is a good deal. If the company offers warranty too, that's the icing on the cake.
At 1/3 the price, you will have a lot of spare cash to handle any repairs.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 22:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry i was away on a roadtrip to LEH last week so could not respond to anyone. I've dropped the idea of buying this car after reading the pros and cons posted by fellow BHPians

Few more details -

Car needs to be registered ONLY in MH
It would have warranty
Upon getting closer to the deal i found out that the discount was only 35 %
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 20:46   #48
BHPian

This is totally new! I have heard and seen dealers push old vehicles with heavy discounts to clear their inventory but , never heard of flooded vehicles being sold!

I would suggest you to stay away from the deal. You might not know what will happen in the long run.

My Santro was flooded during the 2008 rains. The car was left unattended for 10 days. Later, when i returned , i found that the water was still inside and the seats got fungus all over it! The engine refused to start! But , after a service , everything was fine! Then as time flew by, the problems started to show up. The car is now at it's worst condition! The Alternator , the engine , the exhaust system , the steering column , etc are worn out! It's such a big mess. It's an 8 year old car so , not much of a problem. But, getting a brand new car that was flooded is a BIG RISK ! So, Please! Stay away from the deal!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 00:29   #49
BHPian

Default New Brio - How to find if it was water damaged?

Hi Guys,
With my CIvic declared total loss we are in desperate need of a car. Oylmpia honda has a ready stock Brio Automatic in their yard which I can buy ASAP. They are saying its 100% water / flood damage free. I am more worried in buying a car which had water. Is there a way to find if the Car was in water, given that they might have done all to cover it?

Mods: If this is the wrong thread, sorry please move it to the appropriate section.
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 15:38   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: New Brio - How to find if it was water damaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Oylmpia honda has a ready stock Brio Automatic in their yard which I can buy ASAP.
Start with the obvious - was their yard flooded? If not, that's good news.

Once confirmed, comb the car entirely and look for residue / moisture / smell stains. Water reaches everywhere, so look at places that are hidden (e.g. floor area below seats) or where it's hard for the human hand to reach (open one of the doorpads and look at the bottom area). Spend 2 hours with a torch and it shouldn't be too difficult to tell a flood damage car from one that's been safe.

You could also take an expert mechanic along. Two eyes are always better than one.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 17:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Hi Guys,
With my CIvic declared total loss we are in desperate need of a car. Oylmpia honda has a ready stock Brio Automatic in their yard which I can buy ASAP. They are saying its 100% water / flood damage free. I am more worried in buying a car which had water. Is there a way to find if the Car was in water, given that they might have done all to cover it?

Mods: If this is the wrong thread, sorry please move it to the appropriate section.
Olympia Honda is in Ambattur, isn't it?
Ambattur made headlines the other day when the industries there declared 1800 crore loss due to floods. As GTO suggested , ask around if Olympia was flooded! No one wants to buy a flood hit car!
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote