Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 8th May 2006, 17:30   #1
Question Anyone who has news/specs of the WagonR LPG, please?

Hi all,

Planning on buying an economy car soon. Restricted to tall-boys (aging mother & her friends will be frequent passengers). My basic choices thus seem to be narrowed down to the WagonR and the Santro.
After a recent ride in the Santro, I was thankful to get out - for some reason, I felt claustrophobic - in the FRONT passenger seat.
'Course, I was carrying a laptop and bag, so that contributed to the clutter. Still, I'm short, and the legspace in front seemed quite cramped to me.

A friend directed me to your awesome forums, and I've been reading for the last 3.5 hours!

During this, I read the first mention I've ever seen about the upcoming WagonR LPG model. This sounds very exciting. My estimated daily travel is below 50 km, and I intend to use the car everyday only during the monsoons - otherwise I enjoy dodging traffic on my CBZ! I'd hoped to have the car before the rains, but if MUL are bringing out an LPG variant of the WagonR, that would be worth waiting for! It would also make impulsive joyrides not as expensive as on pure petrol!

Does anyone have any more news about the WrLPG? I'd like to know:
  • if MUL are still planning on a June launch or if that's going to be pushed?
  • Will the car still have the same BSIII engine or any mods that will cut power/driveability?
  • I'm assuming, in agreement with the thread which mentioned this, that they will downsize the petrol tank to make space for the LPG cylinder; does anyone know what the new tank capacity will be like?
  • And, most of all, any ideas how much more expensive it will be than the equivalent model's stock petrol variant? From what I've heard, gas kits range between 11000 and 15000...
I was actually looking for owner comparisons between the Santro and the WagonR before I encountered this tidbit. If the WrLPG's coming out in a reasonable time-frame, that practically solves my dilemma for me - with that kind of FE (well, cost per km), I'll go for that! Santro doesn't compete..

Thanks in advance for your comments and info!
eddiedsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 19:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, the sales guy at the Auto expo told me that the WagonR LPG is coming this June. This was again confirmed in a newspaper report a month back.
Regarding driveability, there wont be much of a difference between petrol and LPG. And if i remember correctly, the LPG cylinder was in the Boot.

Regarding legroom, yes WagonR has more front legroom than Santro. The seats of WagonR can push all the way back which gives even more legroom. BUT the rear legroom is not so good, and rear seats are not as comfy as Santro.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 20:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have a Santro and i've driven a WagonR .. i found the the wagonR's dash quite high up ... u say u are short so keep that in mind. Plus Interiors of santro are better and age well compared to wagonR ...
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 10:22   #4
Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you, dceite and aZa!

I visited our local dealer in Goa and took a test drive. I prefer the WagonR over the Alto. I've logged quite a few miles on the 800, so it seems pretty old-hat driving the Alto :-)

The dealer rep says the LPG variants of both the Omni and the WagonR have been "discontinued" :( I guess this means they're not willing to get those down to sell them...

Looking around for the latest news item you mentioned, dceite; google returns 800+ hits, so will look through and see.

I guess I will need to play off dealer v/s dealer if I want to get them to cart down an LPG version.

Once again, thanks for the info.

eddiedsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 19:16   #5

Dealer has no clue man, Omni Cargo is selling hot cakes in delhi as its the only CNG ( Not LPG) varient maruti has..! Wagon R LPG/CNG are on target and will arrive mid-june...I'm really not sure that you may have CNG pumps in Goa...But Maruti does offer CNG kits for any Maruti you like, Same applies to almost every small car maker...!

CNG will be worth more than LPG in economy, Maintaince...!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote