Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th May 2006, 17:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

I am 27 and 6 feet. Since I'm still single, I'm not really looking for a family car. All I need is a vehicle that's reliable on long road-trips, sturdy and one that makes for a smooth and comfortable ride. I might be asking for too much when my budget is kinda tight, i.e. under 4 lakhs.

My parents own a Maruti 800 and in fact, we have been on several cross-country trips in the same. This one time, we ran into some problems (out of state) with the car and my dad was getting kinda frantic. To our good luck, there was a Maruti dealership/service-station not too far from where our car had stalled and within minutes, we were out of there. From that day on, my dad swears by Maruti vehicles (since they have service-stations in almost every state) and I guess he might be talking me into buying the Zen.
However, I want to do a lot of research before I put money down since this is going to be MY very first car and hence, I am trying to gather as much information possible.

Again, what might be some of the pros and cons of owning a diesel vehicle?
But I gotta tell ya, at this very point in time, I'm kinda leaning towards the Tata Indica, but would certainly appreciate some comments/suggestions.

Thanks guys .....you are a great help!!!
The Maruti swift fits u to a T.
Even, i'm 6'1" and big. The driver seat height-adjuster on the Zxi is definitely a big boon for guys like us.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 17:58   #17

Since you like Maruti so much, Swift would be ideal for you.

But also consider Santro, WagonR, Indica.

If you don't travel much, petrol is better option than diesel.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 19:11   #18

Zen has been phased out, If you will also look into the Re-sale factor Zen will be a loss from day One...! Plus a New Zen will be out by the year end..! Indica Xeta Petrol with TATA approved CNG Kit installed at the showroom can work for you, provided you have CNG gas pumps..when you are on the highway..petrol will run fine...!
Otherwise I can suggest Indica Diesal Turbo...Best in the class..! Economy vs Petrol Price factor will coarse you into diesal territory...However should you opt only for a Petrol Varient of MARUTI then Nothing beats Wagon R or Alto for economy...!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 19:12   #19

XETA owner here... I am 29 and 6.1 ft tall. The Xeta is big on space and consistently gives over 13 kmpl in city. My best mileage has been 14.3 which is good for a 1.4L engine.

Planning to go on a 250km trip this weekend.

Xeta is the only car in which I can enter/exit without scraping my head/knees. Seats 5 people comfortably.

On road in Mumbai 3.32L + 4400 for ext. warranty + 13000 for accessories

Everything I wanted for 3.5L
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 19:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by luvjascha
I am 27 and 6 feet.
There you are - that is the clincher for me. I'm 1 inch taller than you and having driven both the Indica and the Zen ... I'd go for the Indica any day just for space and comfort. My wife loves the Baleno but stills misses the space in the Indica.
Go for the diesel .. it too can be repaired almost anywhere in the country ! Spend a bit more .. get the Turbo and put on some alloys .. and as @hrag says, it must have power steering .. mine didn't so I know
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 20:13   #21

What variant of the Xeta do you own? Would you be familiar with the primary difference(s) between the Xeta GLS and GLG other than power windows being one of the standard equipments on the GLG? Also, there's a substantial price difference between the two (almost Rs. 28,000) and so am curious to know what makes the GLG superior.

I have looked at the Swift and with no offence to all Swift owners in here, that to me does nothing. I can't see myself behind the wheels of a Swift although I've read only good things about it.
I think Indica is the route I'll take which leads to another query, namely, the variant. There is a plethora of variants for every car model which at times can be pretty overwhelming, but I guess it all boils down to my budget.
I reside in Mumbai and the following are the on-road price tags that I've gathered from doing some research that fall under 4L:
Indica V2 Xeta GLS : 3,49,852
Indica V2 Xeta GLG : 3,77,513
Indica LEi-V2 : 3,72,976
Indica LSi-V2 : 3,92,606
Indica DLE-V2 : 3,99,056
Indica DL-V2 : 3,70,596

Anyone know the on-road price in Mumbai for the DLG Turbo and DLX Turbo?
If there are any Indica owners or Indica experts in this forum, would appreciate your comments/suggestions/advice/critique on how I should proceed now that I have my mind set on the Indica.
I plan to buy the car sometime in November. Again, is there a time of year that one might avail of the best deals?

luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 20:21   #22

Originally Posted by luvjascha

What variant of the Xeta do you own?
I own the GLS. You must have got the 1 page brochure which mentions all the different variants and their features. I believe the GLS is the commonest one on road. The GLG and GLX are all bells and whistles added on.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote