Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 20th May 2006, 17:05   #1
BHPian

Default Why only 1 year warranty on Palio? And how much difference does it make?

Hi, I am actively considering buying Palio 1.2 ELX. I realised Palio has only 1 year (unlimited) warranty. You cannot even get extended 1-2 year warranty by paying additional amount

As against this, Maruti and Hyundai give 2 years warranty on their cars. In fact, Maruti currently has even extended 3rd year warranty free. Even otherwise one can get additional 2 years warranty by paying around Rs 5000.

So, why is it that Fiat does not offer longer basic warranty and also the extended warranty option? Doesn't warranty give the impression that the manufacturer is confident about his car?

(When I grilled the Tata dealer, he told me that Fiat is considering giving the extended warranty option for some Rs 3800 odd for two more years. This can be announced in next 10-15 days. But, he may be saying that just to complete the deal... we can't decide on promises... that's the politician's field).

I have some basic questions on this issue. Can you experienced Fiat users please reply?

1. What all is covered under the 1 yr warranty. Does it cover engine, gearbox and AC? Anything more or less?

2. How many owners had to get something replaced or repaired under the warranty?

3. How many faced the problem of getting some repairs or replacements in the second/third year when the car was not under the warranty?

4. Is this a big issue that matters in deciding which car to buy?

5. Does anybody have further details on this rumoured proposed extended warranty scheme of Fiat for Palio?

Thanks
Sachin
sachinchavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 17:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats the third thread you are starting today for teh same car!

Excited abt buying teh new car eh?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 18:01   #3
BHPian

Mr Dear JKDas, is there any issue in doing that? I would rather have different threads on different topics, even if they are about the same car. In this case, the threads are about warranty, pricing and sound respectively which are independent issues. Having different threads (and hence title) helps in clearly defining to the reader the issue being discussed. I think it is a better practice.

Coming to your obtuse remark on being excited about buying the new car. The fact that I am seeking so much information/clarifications and doing my research indicates that I am going the analytical way... hard nuts and bolts way... and not the emotional/excitement way on buying a car. If one went ahead just by looks and drive of the car and bought it... that would rather be an excited buy.

Anyway, I wonder how your personal remark is relevant to the purpose of this forum. Please refrain unless you have something to contribute to a thread. And leave moderation to the moderators.

Sachin

Last edited by sachinchavan : 20th May 2006 at 18:03. Reason: To make it sound more pleasant
sachinchavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 18:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
3. How many faced the problem of getting some repairs or replacements in the second/third year when the car was not under the warranty?
My Palio is in the third year now and I have changed the alternator, 2 weeks back and the ignition coil a few months back.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 22:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

My Palio is 2 years old now & so far no issues & no replacements!

All New Cars are trouble free for atleast 5 years except for some very few exceptions.
So don't worry too much on Warranty, just go-ahead and buy!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 04:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
My Palio is 2 years old now & so far no issues & no replacements!

All New Cars are trouble free for atleast 5 years except for some very few exceptions.
So don't worry too much on Warranty, just go-ahead and buy!
Are you saying that after 5 years, the car has to moved to the junkyard !!!
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:12   #7
BHPian

Hi,

My 1.2 is 4 year 7 months old. I had faced problems last year only that too due to the 26/7 flood that forced me to shell out 27K. That's it.
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:13   #8
BHPian

I was also planning for Petra and held back for sometime due to Extended warranty. I had some issues with TATA and extended warranty helped me in Engine Overhaul and also Brake booster replacement which otherwise would have costed me about 30k. So, i was very apprehensive when there is no extended warranty on Fiat cars. Even the dealer in Hyderabad promised me that Fiat will coming up Extended warranty but he was not ready to commit on any dates. I even wrote a mail to Fiat regarding this. Here is the mail and reply from Fiat.

Dear Mr Siva,

Thank you for approaching us on your query & requirement , please be informed as of now we don't have extended warranty on our products, We have one year unlimited kilometers manufacturers warranty from dater of purchase.

Thanking you & assuring you of our best services at all times.

Regards,

Mangesh Kodalkar
After sales.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 11:23 AM
To: D'LIMA Marius
Subject: FW: Extended warranty

Hi Marius,

I did not get any response for my below mail even after a month. I had got the below mail ID from Fiat India's website. A thing like this will surely not infuse much confidence in Fiat India.

Regards
Siva

Sent: 22 June 2006 15:38
To: 'marketing@fiat.com'
Subject: Extended warranty

Hi,

I have finally decided on Petra ELX after a month long test drives/dealer visits/Internet reviews about all the cars within my budget. I always loved Fiat cars and was feeling very happy to have chosen Petra.

I was so sure that Fiat India would be offering extended warranty that I did not even bother to ask the dealer about it. Someone mentioned it to me when I had told him about the Petra. I was shocked and dismissed it as a rumour against Fiat. Anyway, to confirm, called the dealer and he informed that Fiat India has discontinued the extended warranty. I was shocked (and amazed). I am pretty sure that Maruti, TATA, Hyundai, GM and ford have extended warranty on their cars. Inspite of having such good cars, why are you not offering extended warranty? Moreover, the dealer has also informed me that extended warranty was offered earlier and now stands withdrawn. He is not committing on any dates as to when it would be available again. He also told me that I would not be eligible for extended warranty, If Fiat introduces it after 6 months of my purchase.

All other car manufacturers are having excellent After Sales & Service. When those people can offer extended warranty, it is pity that Fiat is backing off.

Even though lot of people are advising me to not to go for Fiat, I am one of those guys who are impressed with your cars in terms of safety and technology. You always had very good products but ignore very simple issues like these (which matter a lot to customer). I always wanted to own a Fiat and I feel disappointed that after coming so close to it, I have to drop it.

If I can get can any commitment on extended warranty, I would still go for Fiat. I need to buy a car by next month and would appreciate your reply on this.

Regards
Siva

Last edited by windsurfer : 2nd August 2006 at 10:14.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:35   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sachin

1. The standard one year warranty would be a bumper-to-bumper warranty that covers things beyond the engine and gearbox.

2. To me, the warranty coverage indicates the manufacturers confidence in their own product. A one year warranty with no extension opportunities is clearly below the industry standard, and indirectly says what Fiat thinks of their own products or the ability to take care of the same post-sales. Disappointing. Dont go by the "it will be available soon" line. When I test drove the Petra 3 years back, they told me that the extended warranties are just around the corner.

3. Why dont you consider the 1.6? I would not say it is the best 5 lac hatch, but it would surely be my pick if I was in the market today.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:38   #10
BHPian

Sachin,

I had a Palio S10 for about 2 1/2 yrs. No extended warranty was available. In 2 yrs, I had the foll. work done at my cost :

Brake disc skimming and caliper machining done twice at a total cost of Rs. 3000. Supposedly comes under "wear and tear". Mileage on the car was less than 4000 kms.

Strut mounts were replaced at a cost of Rs. 2500.

There were no other major issues but a lot of small niggling ones which were sorted out during the warranty period. I was taking my car to the dealers workshop on on average of once every 2 1/2 months (including servicing).

I know other owners who had no issues as well as others who had plenty of issues with their Palios.

If you do not mind running to the workshop every now and then(if you are not so lucky) and consequently live with the stress, then the Palio is an excellent car. As GTO suggested, look at the 1.6. I feel it is a better buy. There isn't a great difference in FE between the 1.2 and 1.6 maybe 1-1.5 kmpl at the most but the 1.6 is a much more satisfying car to drive.

Bye
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think skoda also does not offer extended warranty beyond 2 years. But it is 1 year more than fiat. Toyota's out of box warranty of 3 years/100,000km seems best of all.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
2. To me, the warranty coverage indicates the manufacturers confidence in their own product. A one year warranty with no extension opportunities is clearly below the industry standard, and indirectly says what Fiat thinks of their own products or the ability to take care of the same post-sales. Disappointing. Dont go by the "it will be available soon" line. When I test drove the Petra 3 years back, they told me that the extended warranties are just around the corner.
Errrmmm....I got Petra 1.6 and 3 years extended warrantee. But, I read on one of the threads that they are not offering it now or, dealers are discouraging. I don't know when they withdrew it.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

I believe that the extension of warranty is a tri-partite package being offered by mfr, dealer and insurance co. What you pay is essentially insurance premium in advance. Some amount is borne by each, with dealer reducing his regular charges. Therefore, if any one or two parties back out, (due to bad experiences obviously) then deal falls through since then for other one or two to bear the entire expense will be quite costly.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:29   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Errrmmm....I got Petra 1.6 and 3 years extended warrantee.
Awesome! You were lucky since they had discontinued it by the time I test drove the Petra.

Quote:
I believe that the extension of warranty is a tri-partite package being offered by mfr, dealer and insurance co.
Manufacturer backed warranties should not have this problem.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 00:47   #15
BHPian

sachin i am also on lookout for palio 1.6 or adventure, and had plenty of discussions on extended warranty issue, tata dealers fortune has initially commited an extended warranty, at 3700 for two years, but later they told me they will reconsifer it, i recently bought vtec from honda and even they have approched me with the extended warranty, and what they are saying is that its going to be just like the standard warranty, and everything will be covered, abyway they will be meeting me tomorrow with complete doucmentation as to what all is covered,

i think you are spot on with the extended warranty issue, i have clearly told tata guys that unless i get an extended warranty, i am not buying the vehicle be admant and may be they will bend,
fight_club is offline   Reply With Quote