Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
Old 18th June 2013, 19:34   #1
Default What after Santro?

Dear Members,

Background - I have been reading Team-Bhp for quite sometime and coupled with a Mech Degree (which by the way helps throw out some jargon's), I consider myself a genuine automobile aficionado. I like discussing cars, their workings, new releases, market share, potential etc. While these traits are genuinely admired in the workplace (imagine office full of IT geeks, talking about API's and JSP's), I somehow have a tough time replicating the grandeur at home.

Problem - My mum owns a Santro, it's almost 9 years old. has served well but of late has started feeling pretty old, this coupled with the fact that Hyundai service is no Maruti plus we had a bad exp when Hyundai dealer changed the spare wheel and put a cracked rim during servicing. My mum had been resisting the change for 2 reasons - 1) She is comfortable in her old work horse and 2) She says whatever money we plan to put in the new car, we should give it to her for her personal expenses . With my father now putting a foot down regarding the new car, it is a matter of time before we see a new car in the parking lot.

Requirements -
  • Daily drive - around 20-30 Kms city d
  • No highway drive
  • Petrol preferred
  • Low cost of ownership
  • Fuel Efficient

Options - Couple of conflicts

Swift - Firm favorite (my mum favors a car which can be serviced by a local mechanic), but with a house with a Swift(D), Dezire, Sx4, I think another Swift would be an overkill, plus the low seating of Swift would be an unwelcome change considering that she has been conditioned with tall boy driving style.

Punto - with the recent price plunge, it looks tempting(I have had admired this Italian beauty for long), but after a harrowing experience with Palio, I will have to move heaven and earth to get this one in our family.

Micra - This checks lots of boxes (Jap/Reliable/Fuel efficient plus automatic), but I am still not convinced. I have read a long term ownership review and looks like people are happy with overall experience. Would require team members suggestions

Polo - Lot of bad press even in T-Bhp, not sure if I should even test drive this one.

i20 - Not sure at all. Please suggest.

Quanto - Tall boy, SUV feeling, but Mahindra(ermmm) and hence question marks.

Budget - 6-7 L

Time Frame - 2 Months at the most

Please suggest and let me know if I have missed out on real gem (something with a good road view akin tall boy design).
Old 18th June 2013, 20:10   #2
Default Re: What after Santro?

Any reason why you have not considered the Brio. Will meet all your mentioned requirements. I get a sense you are looking for a premium hatch, but brio beats them all with the engine. Plus your mom will really like the compact dimensions.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 18th June 2013 at 20:11.
Old 18th June 2013, 20:18   #3

The Ritz Auto should meet your requirements to the T!
Old 18th June 2013, 20:38   #4

It is not clear from your requirements that you really need an upgrade from Santro, though the 6-7L budget and the listed options do point towards that thought. If you are ok with a car from the same segment, consider the WagonR. Meets most criteria, importantly about the seating position. However, if A/T is your preference, then this option is out.

Apart from that Brio is another good option, except for the lower seating position and the fact that it is no local mechanic's toy.

What about the i10? Essentially it is a bloated Santro but a cool car nevertheless.
Old 18th June 2013, 20:50   #5

If AT, Ritz AT or Brio AT can be the one.If manual, you can try out the i10 IRDE2. This variant of i10 is reasonably fuel efficient, as I hear it from my colleague who has its earlier version(IRDE). It has a good seating position with a smooth gear box. It should cost you around 5L and so should be well within your budget. You can even use it for occasional highway trip in case if you don't have any other choice from your garage.
Old 18th June 2013, 21:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support - Please search and continue on an existing thread.
Closed Thread