Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Your Choice?
Toyota Liva TRD 63 20.13%
VW Polo GT TSI 250 79.87%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th June 2013, 18:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Sporty Petrol Hatch Showdown: Toyota Liva TRD vs VW Polo GT TSI

Just comparing Car-to-Car - GT TSI! No contest! It looks like old tech 2 valve 1.2liter engine with the turbo slapped on it without even an IC. But thats just the looks. I love the technology involved in this car and the performance.
  • Great 1.2 liter 2 valve engine - Yep the 2 valve looks old tech but they've made a trick 2 valve design.
  • Looks like no intercooler - Trick intercooler integrated into manifold.
  • Trick cooling system.
  • Trick Gear box - Hope this one lasts, fingers crossed!
  • GDI
  • Turbo
  • Nice Torque curve
  • Fast
  • Elegant Exteriors
  • Elegant Interiors
  • Safer

A piggy back/remap and I'm set! Has enough performance for a hatch in Indian road conditions.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 20:56   #17
BHPian

My vote went down to TSI. Although i just love the alloys and the bodykit of TRD but sonehow it just couldn't exite me that much when i test drove it!

I wish that Volkswagen launch the TSI with a manual gearbox soon so that an enthusiast can fulfill his exterior modification dream + some performance mods with the money saved
amansanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 20:56   #18
Team-BHP Support

Between the two I would say the Liva if its your only car and the Polo if its your second car.

However I would not buy the Liva TRD Sportivo even if its my single car. For just an extra 60-80k you get the Etios G-SP that has the same engine. Lacks the alloys but has a boot.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 23:53   #19
BHPian

Between the two,I wont buy any. The Toyota is priced right but looks dated and the VW is just the opposite. The Polo TSI with manual transmission and a lakh rupee less would have been the deal for me.
saion666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 00:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

)I would go with the Toyota.

The Polo is a small, already turbocharged engine with a DSG gearbox which would mean, correct me if I am wrong, major performance modifications above stage 1, would be impossible since it's output is almost at the max, also the DSG box would fail with higher torque figures. Simply imagine how quick the Liva would be with a few basic mods and a turbo (saved over 1.5 lacs didn't I)
The Polo also looks extremely bland to me and I much prefer the Liva's styling especially the body kit that looks satisfying yet not fussy or flash. I also love its alloys and really can't think of anything I would change as far as its exteriors go.
Space in the Toyota makes it the perfect college student's ride, can dump a couple of subs and have 4-5 friends sit in relative comfy-ness and ease :P
Oh and how could I forget: RELIABILITY!

The only things that would have me thinking twice is it's interior styling which I detest, and the lack of ESP. Also I would first ask whether it is possible to improve the steering feel and feedback of such a car.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th June 2013 at 00:54.
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 01:04   #21
BHPian

Well my choice will be the Liva. The only reason is the manual gear shift. For an enthusiast the real fun is redlining the engine or shifting a gear down during a tight overtake or a drag and listen to the roar of the engine. One will miss all these fun in an automatic.

But still over these two cars i will prefer a second hand palio 1.6 GTX or hope Fiat to launch a Punto 1.4 Tjet petrol.

Last edited by Samba : 25th June 2013 at 01:08.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 04:28   #22
BHPian

After having driven the Polo GT extensively, my vote goes for the Polo GT anyday - Everyday.

The gearbox is absolutely intuitive and the shifts are literally lightning quick. Its one of those gearboxes after driving it for a bit - I really didn't miss the Manual that much. Very intuitive.

The specs on Liva looks just marginally up over my 7 year old Swift Petrol, It seems hard to justify the TRD badge on it.

Voted for the GT.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 09:23   #23
BHPian

Liva is the choice if brain has to do the work.

Toyota's support on TRD and simple technology will make it mod friendly. No turbo, simple NA motor.

DSG transmission is brilliant. It works like harm and delight to drive. How long will it delight you? Till it works. Reliability would be major concern and will always haunt you even with smallest noise from gearbox will scare you.

Running expenses - I would still say Toyota. TSi is suppose to be more fuel efficient, however you would want to extract the fun out of driving and FE takes the hit.

After Sales - do I even need to mention this that who is the winner

Oomph factor - no doubt about Polo

A best analogy would be - you might want to be seen with a sizzling babe, however would you ever want to run into maintenance of her for lifetime.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 10:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

I love the GT. More than the engine, its the gearbox that sets it apart. Nothing can touch the GT in a straight line. The GT will demolish the Liva in a drag. However; this round goes to the Toyota for a few reasons. It is without doubt the best handling Toyota you can buy in India. Possibly better than the GT too in the handling department. I can't be sure. Never driven both back to back. Toyota took the effort by making the car look and feel special. In my opinion, the Liva TRD is a looker. The body kit is not over done, nor is it cheap or poor fitting and those wheels are from another planet if you were to compare them to what VW have given for the GT. Typical to what most manufacturers have done in the hatch back segment in India, with a "Sport" (i10/i20 Sportz. You gotto be joking) badge, Toyota understood that a TRD cannot be a 1.2 and decided to plonk the 1.5l engine. You have to hand it to them for this. They could have stuck to the 1.2l and still called it the TRD. They did not. Now that is a company that understands the enthusiast. The TRD to me is a car that is more complete than the GT. Lets also not forget a saving of over 2.5lac. You can spend it on a couple of years burning gas or do a mod job. That is your call.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 12:58   #25
BHPian

My vote would go with Polo GT.

Polo GT seems like a car designed with an enthusiast in mind while Liva TRD comes across as an half hearted, middle of the line product. VW did well to focus on adding technologies like EBD and ESP that really add to the performance. They were also helped by the fact that Polo already had great chassis and suspension to provide control and handling at high speeds.

But Liva is great in the sense that it provides such power in a practical package. But after using a friend's regular Liva for some time, I can surely say that this car has a major put off in its interiors. I would be curious to see an "enthusiast" moving his neck around to check the speed .
shobhit.shri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 14:08   #26
BHPian

My vote goes for the Polo GT.
IMO, the extra 1.8L is justified for the turbo and the DSG transmission. Most of the automatic cars are approximately 1 lakh expensive than their manual counterparts in India. Thanks to the turbo, torque kicks in at 1500 RPM in the GT compared to 3000 RPM in the Liva.
rama75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 17:38   #27
BHPian

I would have voted for the Toyota if they did not make the Liva look like some 90's pensioner's hatchback fitted with some body kits and alloy rims. I mean come on Toyota!!!
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 17:40   #28
BHPian

Test drove the Liva sport recently and I was frankly, impressed. Yes, I would agree with most here that it's not exciting to drive. Europeans were always the best for that. The Japs were just cold and clinical. Not much of drama or emotion like the Europeans.
Still, I voted for the Liva (blame my mind for favoring the maintenance, space and overall 'sensibility' of the car). It'll withstand anything I throw at it, something I am doubtful the Polo can do and the famed 'always problematic' DSG gearbox cannot cope with sooner or later.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 18:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: Sporty Petrol Hatch Showdown: Toyota Liva TRD vs VW Polo GT TSI

For me both the heart and mind are set on the Polo TSI. Even though the Toyota is infinitely more reliable than the Polo, somehow it doesn't appeal to you. I would take the Polo TSI over the Toyota. How I wish, they would offer a 6 speed manual gearbox with the Polo, for total fun on the road !
W.A.G.7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 20:01   #30
BHPian

VW cars are very good , but the horrible dealership experience is a thing to consider when going for one !
Amogh Barakol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote