Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2006, 16:08   #31
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Yes, Swift being taller does not mean it will flip easily.

Its all about center of gravity, although swift looks tall, most of the weight is on the bottom end.

Also the increased width of swift will further compensate.

I know this doesnt matter to many people in india (as one can tell by the way people drive and disrespect pedestrians and jump red lights) - but unfortunately Baleno is really bad when there is a crash, very poor safety rating

Last edited by microhit : 6th June 2006 at 16:11.
microhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 01:54   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Thumbs down Baleno low on Safety

I was hoping someone would tell us the EURO NCAP safety rating of Baleno, but no one volunteered the information. So I thought of googling a little bit in my idle time... primary reason... I thought the lightness of Baleno probably made it unsafe. However that was just my feeling and I wanted to know if my assumption was true or not. However after googling a bit the results I found regarding Baleno safety were shocking....
It recieves a 1.5 star rating in Euro NCAP test results and has been deemed too risky for frontal collision, in fact it fares equally with Aveo, whose safety ratings have taken quite a hit on this forum. Below is the link about its safety rating:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=42

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...ings.php?id1=2

Now considering most people buy Baleno or Esteem for performance and than tend to drive them fast, just makes me scared that all of us that own Baleno or Esteem are at risk.

This with the fact that Baleno's power figure with BS III is nothing to write home about, makes me wonder isnt Maruti due to give us a more contemporary car in the 6-8 lakh segment?

Needless to say that its a VFM, with great engine, mileage, etc. But in this day and age, where even some small cars have better safety rating and features, more contemporary design, its a shame that Maruti is taking us for a ride.

Lastly I do not want to start any war here, just want to share this information for the greater good of the Bhpian community.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 09:27   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I was hoping someone would tell us the EURO NCAP safety rating of Baleno, but no one volunteered the information. So I thought of googling a little bit in my idle time... primary reason... I thought the lightness of Baleno probably made it unsafe. However that was just my feeling and I wanted to know if my assumption was true or not. However after googling a bit the results I found regarding Baleno safety were shocking....
It recieves a 1.5 star rating in Euro NCAP test results and has been deemed too risky for frontal collision, in fact it fares equally with Aveo, whose safety ratings have taken quite a hit on this forum. Below is the link about its safety rating:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=42

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...ings.php?id1=2

Now considering most people buy Baleno or Esteem for performance and than tend to drive them fast, just makes me scared that all of us that own Baleno or Esteem are at risk.

This with the fact that Baleno's power figure with BS III is nothing to write home about, makes me wonder isnt Maruti due to give us a more contemporary car in the 6-8 lakh segment?

Needless to say that its a VFM, with great engine, mileage, etc. But in this day and age, where even some small cars have better safety rating and features, more contemporary design, its a shame that Maruti is taking us for a ride.

Lastly I do not want to start any war here, just want to share this information for the greater good of the Bhpian community.
Nice info aseem, esteem i am sure is even worse... look at the body sheet metal... its by far the thinnest i have seen.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 09:56   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

Interesting to know that its not only the thickness of sheet metal that gives a car a good EURO NCAP rating......
Baleno with thinnest body sheet metal n without airbags gets a similar rating as of Aveo with solid built body n airbags.....

KP
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 10:05   #35
BHPian
 
mahadev_kc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 318
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshyamsundar
If you want a cheeky looking morden car designed and developed with latest technology go for the swift. Otherwise go for baleno. Baleno is surely old design and if you want a three box car then go for fiesta.
Enjoy.
Can one explain me which latest technologies are included in the Swift over Palio 1.6 GTX/Sport? If I guess correct, palio 1.6 has more advanced technology than Swift and that too 4 years back only when it was launched.
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 10:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc
Can one explain me which latest technologies are included in the Swift over Palio 1.6 GTX/Sport? If I guess correct, palio 1.6 has more advanced technology than Swift and that too 4 years back only when it was launched.
@mahadev, I think @pshyamsundar was making that statement w.r.t. the Baleno (not Palio). Still, the latest technology thing can be taken with a rock of salt (unless odd looks, ABS, airbags etc can be called new technology).
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 10:13   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Nice find aseem.
One question though... below is the link for Swift's rating:
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=213

Now, it gets a 4 star rating but the car tested had "dual frontal airbags, side airbags, head-protecting airbag (curtain) front belts with pre-tensioners and load limiters, ISOFIX anchorages and top tethers to outer rear seats, belt reminder for the driver, ABS, EBD and BA as standard"
Does the top end version of Swift available in India comes with all this?

Quote:
Can one explain me which latest technologies are included in the Swift over Palio 1.6 GTX/Sport?
Ahha... fiat creeps in again!!!

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 10:24   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Nice find aseem.
One question though... below is the link for Swift's rating:
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=213

Now, it gets a 4 star rating but the car tested had "dual frontal airbags, side airbags, head-protecting airbag (curtain) front belts with pre-tensioners and load limiters, ISOFIX anchorages and top tethers to outer rear seats, belt reminder for the driver, ABS, EBD and BA as standard"
Does the top end version of Swift available in India comes with all this?
@Amitoj, how could you even think of asking such a question ?
Ofcourse, the Swift that we have in India is exactly the same spec and super safety rated one that was tested by Euro-NCAP. It is funny how people quote the safety ratings of European cars and kind of assume that the same ratings are applicable to the stripped down version that they get down here and then go to town with thumping their chest crowing about owning the safest car in the world, while others are supposedly driving coffins.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th June 2006 at 10:28.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 10:25   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,286 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I was hoping someone would tell us the EURO NCAP safety rating of Baleno, but no one volunteered the information. So I thought of googling a little bit in my idle time... primary reason... I thought the lightness of Baleno probably made it unsafe. However that was just my feeling and I wanted to know if my assumption was true or not. However after googling a bit the results I found regarding Baleno safety were shocking...
Aseem, you made no shocking discovery. Check out what I posted 2 weeks before I ordered my Baleno. Same link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/70655-post80.html

They tested a non-airbag model in a market where airbags are standard. Show me a test where it was tested with airbag or against other non-airbag models, then I'll buy it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 11:13   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
They tested a non-airbag model in a market where airbags are standard. Show me a test where it was tested with airbag or against other non-airbag models, then I'll buy it.
Ummm... so if indian market doesnt have airbags as "standard", the ncap ratings for baleno dont hold here?? Let me quote from their report on Baleno:
"The passenger compartment lost its integrity and the driver's door and sill became overloaded. The firewall and floor joint began to separate, the sill opened up at the base of the front pillar and the firewall began to tear. "

The airbags are nowhere mentioned here. and...

"The brake pedal was also displaced upwards where it could impale the driver's lower legs, and protection for his feet and ankles was poor. There was excessive footwell intrusion and the rupture in the firewall presented an additional risk"

Again... airbag or no airbag... that is a bad thing.

To each his own, but it sure would have persuaded me against going for a baleno, no matter what. Sure its got a gem of an engine... but that does demand additional safety requirements too. A car is made not just of an engine... but a lot more.

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 11:43   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
yes it will certainly b inferior 2 baleno on a highway.

1. taller than baleno : more prone 2 crosswinds, more prone to rolling over (in case of sharp turn to avoid an obstacle or accident).
2. smaller than baleno : where do u want 2 keep the extra luggage that we usually carry on highway travels, in a small boot or the roof?

i m sure there wud b many more benefits of having a baleno on the highway over swift, baleno owners whats ur say?

BTW, on a highway BALENO says
Dear Naveen,

I'm afraid but you must know the origin of the swift car. It is designed and developed as a sports and rally car that's reason saying it is inferior to Baleno on highway is completely wrong. Swift infact is a highway cruiser (remember its a fift gear). If not why hack an 87 BHP engine is required in a small car. Its a brand new aerodynamic desinged availble for a very cheap rate and that's bcoz only maruti can afford to cut the cost in india... Only they have required infrastructure to do so.

Ajay
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 12:53   #42
BHPian
 
prince85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 967
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J
Dear Naveen,

I'm afraid but you must know the origin of the swift car. It is designed and developed as a sports and rally car that's reason saying it is inferior to Baleno on highway is completely wrong. Swift infact is a highway cruiser (remember its a fift gear). If not why hack an 87 BHP engine is required in a small car. Its a brand new aerodynamic desinged availble for a very cheap rate and that's bcoz only maruti can afford to cut the cost in india... Only they have required infrastructure to do so.

Ajay
But then the bottom line is that the Swift is a hatchback whereas a Baleno is a proper 3-box sedan
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 13:42   #43
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I was hoping someone would tell us the EURO NCAP safety rating of Baleno, but no one volunteered the information. So I thought of googling a little bit in my idle time... primary reason... I thought the lightness of Baleno probably made it unsafe. However that was just my feeling and I wanted to know if my assumption was true or not. However after googling a bit the results I found regarding Baleno safety were shocking....
It recieves a 1.5 star rating in Euro NCAP test results and has been deemed too risky for frontal collision, in fact it fares equally with Aveo, whose safety ratings have taken quite a hit on this forum. Below is the link about its safety rating:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=42

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...ings.php?id1=2

Now considering most people buy Baleno or Esteem for performance and than tend to drive them fast, just makes me scared that all of us that own Baleno or Esteem are at risk.

This with the fact that Baleno's power figure with BS III is nothing to write home about, makes me wonder isnt Maruti due to give us a more contemporary car in the 6-8 lakh segment?

Needless to say that its a VFM, with great engine, mileage, etc. But in this day and age, where even some small cars have better safety rating and features, more contemporary design, its a shame that Maruti is taking us for a ride.

Lastly I do not want to start any war here, just want to share this information for the greater good of the Bhpian community.
1.5 rating on 5 for safety is pretty bad for baleno. But how does Aveo, NHC and Fiesta score?
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 13:59   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

The Aveo shares the same 1.5 rating (even with airbags, if I am right). Did not see the NHC there - maybe because it is not intended for the European market. But then if it was tested, I am sure it would be as bad as the Baleno. The Fiesta scores much better - 4 stars if I am right. The Accent is also rated 1.5 (the model mentioned is 1.3GLS).
Yes, a 1.5 rating is real bad. But then as people pointed out earlier, the test was on a car without air bags, which itself would bring the safety rating down. And the Swift that you get here does not have all the safety features present in the Swift that was tested and got a rating of 4. So it is pointless to say that the Indian Swift is as safe as the one being sold in Europe.
Agree that Safety is a main factor to consider while buying a car, but then that was not a factor anywhere in consideration while microhit started this thread. If in hindsight, he finds safety to be critical, IMO, he could consider the Swift ZXi or the Fiesta etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th June 2006 at 14:09.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 14:24   #45
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The Aveo shares the same 1.5 rating (even with airbags, if I am right). Did not see the NHC there - maybe because it is not intended for the European market. But then if it was tested, I am sure it would be as bad as the Baleno. The Fiesta scores much better - 4 stars if I am right. The Accent is also rated 1.5 (the model mentioned is 1.3GLS).
Yes, a 1.5 rating is real bad. But then as people pointed out earlier, the test was on a car without air bags, which itself would bring the safety rating down. And the Swift that you get here does not have all the safety features present in the Swift that was tested and got a rating of 4. So it is pointless to say that the Indian Swift is as safe as the one being sold in Europe.
Agree that Safety is a main factor to consider while buying a car, but then that was not a factor anywhere in consideration while microhit started this thread. If in hindsight, he finds safety to be critical, IMO, he could consider the Swift ZXi or the Fiesta etc.
dude, ur saying

accent-1.5
baleno-1.5
aveo-1.5
fiesta-4.0
nhc-1.5

so its a simple when it comes to decide a safe car amongst these.

hope we will have better choices in the next 12 months, how does verna score

swift sedan should naturally be safer once its out.
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swift Mods- Baleno Engine or Swift Gti raghuram.cg Modifications & Accessories 80 29th June 2010 12:39
Baleno BS-III to Baleno BS-II BlackBull Technical Stuff 0 22nd September 2006 21:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks