Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 11th June 2006, 22:21   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by microhit
I am not talking about putting Honda VTEC engines in a Suzuki.en

Suzuki makes their own VTEC ( known as VVT) which is already available in Swift in other markets. That is the right way to do it. - will have to import some parts, that is all.
Will have to study engine mounts on 1.5L swift, if there is any different.

While swapping in a Honda engine may be possible - it will be a nightmare i dont want to go through.
AAAAHHH yes , my bad to have assumed them to be the hondas (the usual norm for swaps in india until now) .. Yes suzi indeed does use 1.5L VVT DOHC engines coded M15A in the ingis' and the swifts sold in OZ and a few other parts of the globe .. Suzuki jimny also comes with a 1.3L VVT engine coded M13AA .. The 1.5L should be a killer in the indian swift , which promises a 0-100 time of 10s for a car that weights just over a tonne ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 22:30   #92
Team-BHP Support

Howdy! Car decision over, we are talking mods now? This thread is ready to be closed if the car choice is made. Take the mod-talk where it belongs.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 23:26   #93
BANNED

yup

Car decision over.

McLaren, see you technical thread sometime.

Swift all the way!
microhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 23:32   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yup

Car decision over.

McLaren, see you technical thread sometime.

Swift all the way!
another happy tbhpian

oh thats the 1.6, 125bhp, 6lac swift sport.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 12:43   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Well your text made for a good reading but the thing is that a car with 4-5 NCAP Star rating will be safer (relatively) even at higher speeds in a collision coz though you might not come out unscathed, may be with some injuries but ALIVE which will not be the case with a car with 1-2 star rating suffering chasis deformations at test speeds itself!

I never denied that, but it may hold good for say double the test impact (64kmph each)... beyond that I am not really hopeful about being alive unless a miracle saves us

Before mods utilize their previlege to close this thread, I wanted to share some interesting information on car safety in general and baleno in particular! I came across this page which has loads of useful information of car safety...
http://dogandlemon.com/site/crash-test/

There are links to various other sites (including NCAP sites). There exist safety ratings based on real life accidents as well! both australian and european studies have come up with rating 3 out of 5 for baleno... which is average risk, not as bad as crash tests indicate. Also this rating is based on cars across all classes, not relative to any specific class. Sadly, it is not possible for new cars to have such rating simply because there won't be enough statistical data to provide accurate results, car needs to be at least 2-3 years old.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/used_safety_ratings_sma.asp (australia)
http://www.folksam.se/engelsk/index.htm (europe, follow "How safe is your car?" link)

Real life studies also confirm the fact that weight and size do matter in collisions with other vehicles, but in single car crashes it does not have any advantage. Heavier and bigger tends to perform better overall for similar designs. For a given weight, SUV's are more dangerous because of their bad handling at high speeds and being more prone to roll over (toppling) as compared to cars, which is quite dangerous. Practical safety of a car depends on additional factors, not just those covered by NCAP tests. Examples are back side impact, rollover etc.

Here is a nice guide: http://www.iihs.org/brochures/pdf/sfsc.pdf
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 16:05   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have made up my mind and going with the Swift
Baleno may be big/power but since I am single bachelor and Swift has more younger look to it, so dont need a family sedan like baleno etc.
Nice decision, microhit. No use lugging around a boot in a city when you do not have a need for it.

Quote:
ZX is a bit heavy for my taste + more complications
I expected you to plump for the ZX due to your emphasis on safety. With the VX, you would be missing out on the airbags, special seat belts and even ABS is optional.
Bit heavy ? The ZX is 15kgs heavier than the VX which is around 15kgs heavier than the LX. How is this weight going to be an issue ? I did not understand that one. And what are the complications you see with ZX ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th June 2006 at 16:20.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 22:38   #97
BANNED

Hey Supreme,

I cannot deny that you are wrong.

But I believe that wearing seat belt is safe enough, it is true that airbags is an added advantage.

Now think about this - Most people I see on the road dont even wear seat belts.

In my case, i have maintained good habbit of wearing seat belt - even if i am travelling for short distance.

So i think VXi is not too bad, considering we dont travel at high speeds very often here in India. I also went against ABS, because I have driven both ABS and non ABS cars in the past in the northern hemisphere in the snow. I still believe that ABS is not a necessary in southern indian summer weather.

Now there are many people who will bitch about not having features like ABS, air bags and what not. Tell me where were these people were 10 years ago?
We never had such cars in India to begin with few years ago, right? Technology like ABS and airbags is now almost 2 decades old !

My statement may not be the most accurate but - Airbags + Rear wiper motor + ABS + climate control motors (with climate control you dont have to turn AC knobs - which i dont mind at all) all this will add up serious weight. I dont really believe Maruti numbers. check global spec-
http://www.globalsuzuki.com/swift/specifications.pdf

Conclusion - wearing a seatbelt reduces your chances of serious ingury more than any other safety feature. You can check any source here !

If you are not wearing a belt (which most indians dont) you are likely to get hurt real bad no matter how many airbags you got in your car.

If things go fine with this car, I want to invest part of saved money in aquiring DOHC VVT suzuki engine parts. All the additional features will make things too complicated. Everything was preplanned! hence the VXi The more features you have - the more things get complicated - specially considering that Maruti always tried to cut costs and do things the cheap way. Now i am not being Kanjuus (miser) here.

I hope you will agree with me.

Last edited by microhit : 12th June 2006 at 22:56.
Old 12th June 2006, 23:26   #98
BHPian

Quote:
If you are not wearing a belt (which most indians dont) you are likely to get hurt real bad no matter how many airbags you got in your car.
If you are not wearing the belt then airbag itself can cause injury, leave alone the accident...guys opting for airbags MUST wear belts all the time! in fact airbags is an extension to the safety provided by belts.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 09:53   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

microhit, you seem to have a valid point there. Just wearing the seatbelts itself reduces the risk to a large extent.
Anyway, have fun with your car and with the planned mods. Did you already get the car or only booked it ? I guess there might be a waiting list for the Swift. What color do you plan to get ? Do put up snaps in the bhp garage once you get the car.
Old 13th June 2006, 18:47   #100
BANNED

hey,

getting Black colour

Unfortunately dont have the car yet - it should probably take about 2 weeks.
Old 14th June 2006, 09:45   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
getting Black colour.
Nice choice of color - Black looks really cool on most cars. Only downside being that dust/dirt are more visible on black/dark colors, when compared to light colors like silky silver etc. But then, there is nothing that a weekly wash and an occasional dusting can't fix. And it helps burn some calories too.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:09   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Yes my Swift is upsized and has Potenza GIII and the Baleno and Esteem are on stock tyres. So that can be the reason my Swift feels more planted. Its ride is on the stiffer side (as it doesnt have an independant setup at the rear). But it cant compare to Santro (own one). Yes the Baleno and Esteem give a more comfortable feeling on bumps. The very first time I drove Swift while taking a test drive on a bumpy road I found the suspension very stiff. However this stiff suspension becomes a boon while cornering or at high speed. To highlight this statement, anyone who had driven a Scorpio will tell you how great the suspension is at low speed on bumpy roads, but that very soft suspension becomes a nightmare at highspeeds where the car just looses its handling.

SupremeBaleno, yes 50-60 kgs doesnt mean much, but the fact that Swift is so small (length wise) and still has so much weight means that its avg mass per size is more compared to Baleno and that does effect its road grip. Swift is not really a tall boy as Santro and Wagon R and never does it give me the feel that it will loose control while cornering, a feeling that I always get in a Santro while taking high speed turns.

It all boils down too, do you need a boot and a bigger car on the expense of some safety and the risk of Baleno being discontinued in the near future because of older design.

OR

You want a smaller hatch that holds some of the Baleno strengths like Engine and low cost of maintainence, but will remain a fresh design even after a few years.

By the way, what is the EURO NCAP safety rating of Baleno? I have always felt that Esteem and Baleno are very light (per their size), this lightness makes them very fast, but is it at the expense of safety?
Aseem,
I have also driven a Swift (Zxi with 185/70 R 14) and a Baleno....(lxi with 185/65 R 14). Swift is a great car...but..In ride, performance and cornering, I dont think it comes close to a Baleno...
BTW...did you know that the NCAP crash testing are for crashes betwwen cars of similar size / compared against cars of similar size. Even if a swift has a 4 star safety rating (remember..the segment is 2 sizes lower)..it is not safe to assume that a passenger in swift will fare better than the one in Baleno if both were to crash into one another...
so this NCAP rating is an ambiguous topic...best to stay away from it...!!!
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 14:12   #103
BHPian

Quote:
If things go fine with this car, I want to invest part of saved money in aquiring DOHC VVT suzuki engine parts. All the additional features will make things too complicated. Everything was preplanned! hence the VXi The more features you have - the more things get complicated - specially considering that Maruti always tried to cut costs and do things the cheap way. Now i am not being Kanjuus (miser) here.

I hope you will agree with me.
Good decision backed up with nice rationals.
But How will get VVT engine here in India?..Does maruti gives this option? I am dying to have one.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 19:32   #104
BANNED

obviously VVT can only be imported.

I am doing research on what options we will have - complete engine or just the head etc
Will also have to study if the engine mounts are different for Euro swifts.
Will have to study some electronics.

I already have the 1200 page swift factory manual.

Will have to good research - which will take me about an year.
I am not planning to do anything for 1 year anyway - as it will void the warranty.

Last edited by microhit : 18th June 2006 at 19:33.
Old 18th June 2006, 21:58   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Aseem,
I have also driven a Swift (Zxi with 185/70 R 14) and a Baleno....(lxi with 185/65 R 14). Swift is a great car...but..In ride, performance and cornering, I dont think it comes close to a Baleno...
BTW...did you know that the NCAP crash testing are for crashes betwwen cars of similar size / compared against cars of similar size. Even if a swift has a 4 star safety rating (remember..the segment is 2 sizes lower)..it is not safe to assume that a passenger in swift will fare better than the one in Baleno if both were to crash into one another...
so this NCAP rating is an ambiguous topic...best to stay away from it...!!!
Well although cars are in different categories, but if you read the Baleno test in detail, the dummy man suffers serious life threatening injuries to back and neck while colliding into a wall (front collision). Whereas the dummy suffers little and non fatal injuries in the front collision test of Swift. Both cars driving into the wall at equal speed.

I agree that Swift's ride is harsher compared to Baleno, but Swift feels stuck to ground even at speeds of 150 kmph and is very confidence inspiring, I having extensively driven both, dont get the same confidence in Baleno, but Baleno I drive has stock tyres. My Swift has Potenza GIII.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote