Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 5th June 2006, 17:44   #1
BANNED

Default Baleno or Swift for me?

I may be interested in either Baleno or Swift

I understand that Baleno is an old design - but what are the advantages over Swift?

which may be more reliable?

pleae advice.

thanks
microhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 17:53   #2
BHPian

hi im also in this confusion.the baleno lxi is cheaper than the swift top model zxi (after discounts) which makes baleno a vfm
from my test drive i liked swift more for the gears,steering and the driving posn.the steering is very light when moving slowly such as arnd 20knph which i liked.
Baleno was more easier to drive as it had pulling power in almost all gears.It also has lots of interior space especially rear knee space when compared to swift.also i noted one thing was that when ac was switched on in swift there was a small decrease in pickup.i dont know wheter this was fault in my td car.
Overall i felt baleno better due to boot space & interior space.

Also do look at the fiesta as it is also a good choice.have not td fiesta yet.
all the best

Last edited by hari_rama : 5th June 2006 at 17:56.
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 18:04   #3
BHPian

If you want a cheeky looking morden car designed and developed with latest technology go for the swift. Otherwise go for baleno. Baleno is surely old design and if you want a three box car then go for fiesta.

Surely there is a little lesser power when you switch on the A/C in swift. That should not be a problem.

Basically baleno does not have adavantage over swift. In fact swift has advantages and also it will not be correct to compare Apples and oranges and ask which is better..... I hope you got my point.

Enjoy.
pshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 18:06   #4
BHPian

Hi! I would recommend baleno over swift.

Advantages of owning a Baleno over swift
1) Bigger then swift means more legspace and boot which means more comfortable for long drives and city driving. Gives a big car feel.
2) Engine ( I guess most of the Baleno owners swear by it)
3) A/c as claimed by the MUL, rated in same league as mercedes s class( is it true??)
4) Fuel efficiency is near about same.

And the biggest factor is price as u have mentioned.

There are many die hard baleno fans on the forum and wait for their expert opinion, till then goodbye

Last edited by horsepower : 5th June 2006 at 18:08.
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 18:48   #5
BANNED

thanks for the input!

well i am not interested in American cars.
(owned Integra and Toyota in the past) Prefer Jap cars only.

The point here is not the cost etc.

I want peace of mind. I am too busy with work and i dont want headaches like going to repair shop every 2 weeks. Moreever - I am new to bangalore and i dont want to get ripped off by mechanics, neither do i know roads very well etc.

I got chance to sit in baleno once, and I felt it was comfortable and quiet.
I didnt get chance to sit in Swift yet.

I could get a City or corolla - but i may not be living in BLR for long term, so i dont want to invest too much money. I also believe that it is easier to get spares for Suzuki. CITY and all are great cars - but i am too scared of driving these amazing but delicate cars in India - you know what i mean! (even Ants walk on straight line - Indians cant) I dont want to park my new City VTEC and worry about someone scratching it or getting hit by overpopulated fools around here.
Baleno seems more like rough & tough. .(however a used City or Corolla may be an option)

So all i need is a car for going to hill stations/camping on weekends in karnataka or near by etc, or occasional shopping etc.

If any company is launching a new model in coming months then i can wait. - Let me know (50% of news is rumor though)

For example- Swift with bigger engine would be nice - but i dont think MUL will do that! I also remember MUL working on a new sedan, but I probabaly cannot wait for too long!

Last edited by microhit : 5th June 2006 at 19:04.
microhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 07:24   #6
BHPian

i myself recommend baleno,and fully support horsepower..........
premdiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 08:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microhit
Baleno seems more like rough & tough. .(however a used City or Corolla may be an option)

So all i need is a car for going to hill stations/camping on weekends in karnataka or near by etc, or occasional shopping etc.

If any company is launching a new model in coming months then i can wait. - Let me know (50% of news is rumor though)
all these needs can b easily fulfilled by baleno. i personally m a regular visitor 2 hill stations and highways so i know what comfort and confidence a big car gives. also lower center of gravity makes them suck on the ground.

swift on the other hand is more of a city vehicle than a highway one. no matter how good a small car is it does not inspire enough confidence on the highways. on top of that something of a tall boy design is much prone 2 cross winds that u encounter on the highways making them even more unstable.

rest upto ur heart
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 08:51   #8
ECM
BHPian

There is already a long discussion in forum on almost all cars,why dont u read few msgs dude which may help u to decide your goal.I own Baleno btw.thx
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 09:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but i may not be living in BLR for long term,
FYI baleno has a very poor resale value as you dont want to keep the car for long you should keep this in mind...
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 10:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand that Baleno is an old design - but what are the advantages over Swift? which may be more reliable?
@Microhit, comparing a hatch and a 3-box sedan would not be easy. With the Swift, you get a newer car, different looks and in the top-end version features like ABS etc which are not available in the Baleno. With the Baleno, you get a great performance car at real low prices, but then its looks are not exactly hot (though I like it, but then I own the car, so I might be partial). You also get lots of room and a spacious boot. As far as reliability, both are equally reliable Japanese cars. If you don't have much need for a boot, the Swift would be a great choice.

Quote:
I want peace of mind. I am too busy with work and i dont want headaches like going to repair shop every 2 weeks. Moreever - I am new to bangalore and i dont want to get ripped off by mechanics, neither do i know roads very well etc.
You would not have to worry about anything other than regular periodic servicing (every 5K or 10K kms) with the Swift and the Baleno. Spares and after sales service is also not a problem with Maruti.

Quote:
I got chance to sit in baleno once, and I felt it was comfortable and quiet. I didnt get chance to sit in Swift yet.
Test drive both the cars and make your decision based on your priorities. The Swift will give you marginally better FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
FYI baleno has a very poor resale value as you dont want to keep the car for long you should keep this in mind...
Not really true. Infact which car has good resale today ? With newer models coming in the market and people changing cars every few years, the 2nd hand market is going lower by the day. Based on the experience of tbhp-ians who bought 2nd hand OHC, Baleno etc, I could see both cars of similar vintage being bought at around 50% of their original price. So, don't see much logic in the "Baleno has poor resale value" cliche.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th June 2006 at 10:40.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
swift on the other hand is more of a city vehicle than a highway one. no matter how good a small car is it does not inspire enough confidence on the highways. on top of that something of a tall boy design is much prone 2 cross winds that u encounter on the highways making them even more unstable.

rest upto ur heart
Swift inferior on highway to Baleno .... It will be as good if not better!
My suggestion would be to go for a top end Swift... Agreed the engine in a baleno is a gem, but that about it. Safety features are nothing, even the dashboard and interiors are dated. In swift you get everything, ABS, Airbags, Alloys, Climate Control.... plus the engine isnt bad.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 10:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

baleno has a poor resale value?? Not in Bangalore, at least! Ask McLaren! He started out looking for a second hand baleno... ended up buying a new one!

But the way petrol prices are rising, pick a car that has a huge boot so u can run it on LPG

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 11:24   #13
BHPian

We own a Swift VXI. it has low torque (not good). The view is very cluttered all around and plus the being tall you can get clear view of the sides/ the back. I dont know about the mileage, that is no great technology in the engine to claim for performance / mileage too. But it has lot of leg room and height .. only good factors

Baleno would be a better choice because of its performance, 3 box car, easier driving. The has a better resale value.

another point is go in for a good torque engine car.. for uphill driving or any kind out great outing .. it will be a big help.. Many cars claim the transmission and engine controlled thru car computers often dont give u enough torgue but may give u performance ...so be careful

Last edited by four_tire : 6th June 2006 at 11:27.
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 11:32   #14
BHPian

Well both the cars are true Gems, decide on the following parameters:

1. How many people will be travelling in the car - If it's going to 4 & above regularly then the Baleno
2. City v Highway driving - If 80% or more city driving then Swift thanks to it's compact size and ease of parking in Bangalore
3. First or second car - If the only car I would recommend Baleno, will give you almost the same FE figures as SWIFT. Own one for the 1.5 months and to be honest I have been spoilt for life.

Ultimately you should like (read love) the car. Take test drives of both and ask owners. Some earlier Swifts had some rattling issues but, I believe it's been sorted out.

Both Cars are very comfortable & essentially made for the driver. Though the Baleno is more of an all-rounder.

Cheers!
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 11:49   #15
BHPian

Yes as fourtyre mentioned the visibility is not as good in a swift because of the thick a pillers....the baleno has much better visibility....
Performance wise PLS DONT EVEN COMPARE THE CARS....
The swift has good performance but among its class....
With the baleno u get
1)Hot performance
2)Decent mileage
3)More interior & Boot space
4)Big car feel
5)Boring looks(i like it though)
6)Expensive spares(compared to the swift)

The swift will give u
1)Amaaazing handling(Not on the stock skinny ones though)
2)Decent performance
3)Better mileage than the baleno
4)Sexoid interiors compared to the boring baleno
5)Poor rear legroom(smaller than the getz in fact)
6)Cheaper spares(compared to the baleno)

So choose wht u like.......Its pretty simple actually if u know wht u want in a car...
good luck..
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote