Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 13th January 2012, 17:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Automatic small car options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
fact that the mileage was around 8 - 9 kmpl. The convenience far out weighed the fuel cost penalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
the FE ranges between 8-9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
With a gentle foot on the gas pedal I get 9 KMpL, but on the highway I get 15.
What!! 8-9 kmpl, isn't it too low for i10. That is what we get from my 2007 Vitara AT and we always think of changing to a smaller AT.

There is a huge market for a small AT car with good FE but sadly there is none. Why cant they come with an AT Nano which is 600cc when the Activa a 150cc comes without gears.
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 18:47   #152
Team-BHP Support

Honda may have their apprehensions of bringing in AT version for Brio and Jazz but I don't know why Skoda and VW don't have AT Fabia and Polo respectively.

VW sells the Vento and Polo with the same 1.6 petrol engine. Skoda sells the Fabia and Rapid also with the same 1.6 petrol engine.

If the Vento and Rapid have 6 speed AT's why don't they give the same option on Polo and Fabia?

The point is Honda may have to invest in getting AT gearbox for Jazz and Brio. This investment does not justify the small numbers AT will sell in. But with VW and Skoda they already have the engine and gearbox in India and in similar cars.

Instead of paying 10+ lakhs for an AT sedan I'm sure they will have ready buyers for a premium AT hatch for 8-9 lakhs on road.

The i20 1.4 AT has a horrible 3+1 AT box and costs 9.9L on-road bangalore. The major cost is because they completely import engine and gearbox for the AT i20. If VW and Skoda get a Polo/Fabia 1.6 AT for 8-9 lakhs on road. They will not only take away market from small i10 but also i20 and some sedan buyers may actually downgrade to an AT hatch.

If you look at the pricing. Petrol AT sedans like Vento, Rapid, Verna cost approx 1L more than the MT counterpart. This means the AT petrol is similarly priced than the diesel version of the same car. This puts a huge doubt in the buyer's mind and he goes "Oh when I can get a diesel for the same price as Petrol AT maybe I can live without AT and save big on fuel"

Now if you have a 1.6 petrol 6 speed AT Polo and Fabia priced around the same as the Polo/Fabia diesel you don't have that problem. Why? Because the diesel's in Polo and Fabia are puny 1.2L 3 cylinder ones. Savings yes, but not as fun as a powerful diesel like in the Vento and Rapid. Moreover a Vento/Rapid petrol buyer with the budget of only MT may actually think. Do I need a sedan? Why not get the same car but in hatch back AT and enjoy the city traffic.

Come on VW and Skoda, just put the 6 speed AT from the Vento and Rapid in the Polo and Fabia and grab this unexplored segment. You already have the engine and gearbox!!!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th January 2012 at 18:50.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 12:11   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
What!! 8-9 kmpl, isn't it too low for i10. That is what we get from my 2007 Vitara AT and we always think of changing to a smaller AT.
A friend of mine who owns an I10 AT claims it gives him 6 KMPL. You'd imagine it should give more, but by all accounts it doesn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The i20 1.4 AT has a horrible 3+1 AT box.
I would agree with you more or less when you make this statement, but I just got my i20 back from it's second free service and I can swear to god it's a lot better to drive now. I'm not saying marginally, I really do mean a LOT better. I don't know what changed, but the car is just so much more peppy right now, it's a joy to drive.

Mind you, that transmission is still a bit rubbish But at least it's much more enjoyable to drive on the whole!
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 14:41   #154
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Why is that there is no AT option for any of the diesel hatchbacks? I am waiting for the Tata Nano Diesel with the AT option.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 15:34   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe pricing is what prevents manufacturers from bringing in diesel ATs in the price-sensitive hatch segment.

Consider a hatch that costs 6lakhs in petrol variant. The equivalent diesel trim would be another ~1lakh plus ie. 7lakhs. Now add an AT to the equation and the price inches close to 8lakhs. Now at this price, some enthusiasts might buy the car, but IMO the numbers won't be enough to make it viable for the manufacturer.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 13:43   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

@tazmaan, congrats on the A*-AT. BTW, was your Santro also AT ? Asking because the FE of 7kmpl you mentioned seems to low for an MT.

No my santro was manual but my city drive averages at 10km/hr thats the kind of traffic I travel through. The new A star is giving me 8kmpl as of now and my swift VDi gives me 12 so you can imagine.

For everyone else the A star is super fun, it is spacious the front seat travel is enormous the reason why is looks cramped when the front seat is pulled completely back. The front room is comparable to swift when completely pulled back. The brakes are by far the best on the segment and everything come factory fitted also the driver seat height adjust helps my wife a lot.

I10 is over prized but much more refined, looks are subjective. The milage for i10 will definitely be lower than A star, also take into consideration maintenance cost. If you this is going to be your 2nd or 3rd car A star makes more sense.
tazmaan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 16:04   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have booked the A* Auto and the car should be delivered by next week. I got 30k discount + goodies.
Congratulation tazmaan on your new purchase. Hope it is delivered now and what is FE that you are getting. How much was the on road price after discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@vinucv, there are now many A*-AT owners on the forum including me, scuderiaferrari & others. Check out our LTRs to clear your doubts.

Thanks for the pointer supremeBaleno. Will check out that
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 19:50   #158
BHPian

My i10 Auto gives me between 7 and 8 kmpl. Trident dealers say thats a lot as many of them get only 6 to 7 kmpl. They look at me like I am a fool for questioning the mileage. Its like boss you have bought a automatic and how dare you expect good mileage.

When I say that your sales man said its VTVT engine and better milage is guaranteed, they laugh and say thats sales tactic, Also they say you are driving with Overdrive button on al the time.

They are not able to tell when the overdrive is ON or OFF themselves, as the message you get on dashboard is the same.

Better to avoid i10 with its high cost and low mileage in auto.

I have driven around 7000 kms in past 10 months and two services but with no improvements whatsoever. They have also chaned braking unit in all 4 tyres free of cost, twice for front tyres. They almost refuse to say what the problem is.
DoNotHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 20:05   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Our i-10 has settled at 8-9 kmpl in typical peak hour Blr traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The point is Honda may have to invest in getting AT gearbox for Jazz and Brio. This investment does not justify the small numbers AT will sell in. But with VW and Skoda they already have the engine and gearbox in India and in similar cars.

Come on VW and Skoda, just put the 6 speed AT from the Vento and Rapid in the Polo and Fabia and grab this unexplored segment. You already have the engine and gearbox!!!
Actually the same applies to Honda as well. The engine (L-series) is from the same family and so is the platform so Jazz an use the same 5-A/T from City. Overseas they have a CVT Jazz as well!

But the problem is that the estimated market size is quite small and looking at the i-20 AT's sales confirms that.

Last edited by Mpower : 20th January 2012 at 00:19.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 23:03   #160
Senior - BHPian

With the sub 4 meter Dzire getting launched with Vxi AT - ain't that technically a small car?
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 10:48   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Congratulation tazmaan on your new purchase. Hope it is delivered now and what is FE that you are getting. How much was the on road price after discount
The on road mumbai was 4.85 and yes its delivered and already covered 600 kms. I am getting a FE of 8 on 2 refills. It seems on the lower side but this is pure city run and very dense traffic. The third refill seems to be dropping faster. Sai service andheri was just awesome, I service my swift there too and they said the ECU will be tweaked on first service and expect the car to become better. Nothing else other than washing and checkup is done on 1st service. The service man is still saying FE should settle at 10 to 12.
tazmaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 15:34   #162
BHPian

just took a test drive of A star auto and seriously did not expect it to be this good , definitely going and booking this week after my wife ,the eventual driver, will choose her color. Are there any things to ask the dealer before booking or taking delivery , i am only getting 25k discount
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 22:57   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
just took a test drive of A star auto and seriously did not expect it to be this good , definitely going and booking this week after my wife ,the eventual driver, will choose her color. Are there any things to ask the dealer before booking or taking delivery , i am only getting 25k discount
Ensure you are getting a 2012 model. If its a 2011 model, you can get better discounts
manojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 20:55   #164

Any new members to the hatch back AT club in addition to A* & i10 yet? Planning to buy an AT..Pls let know if there is any new addition or any soon-to-hit-the-market..
Power House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:24   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power House
Any new members to the hatch back AT club in addition to A* & i10 yet? Planning to buy an AT..Pls let know if there is any new addition or any soon-to-hit-the-market..
When i went fo service my city AT with Capital Honda i casually enquired about AT in hatch in future for my Wife and they said Honda is in the idea to launch AT in Brio but no time frame but he said to wait for another 5 months to know the exact launch date so i guess there is going to be one more AT in small hatch with an latest gears.
sathyaprakash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote