Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 22:48   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 40
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

If petrol is your need, the LS ABS variant comes with exactly the same level of safety features(ABS+Driver AB), suspension is really good, doors fell heavy & produce thud, built-in stereo with bluetooth but on interiors Hyundai scores more.

Have a test drive no harm to evaluate all options before you settle for one.

Beat is again on overall feel of the car(nice interiors+proven track record) as I read above space is not kind of must.

[quote=invidious;3263146]
@GeekyEngineer - Well, the Beat and SAIL - The Beat is really tiny and the SAIL is Chinese. As it is I don't wish to add more variants and add to her confusion. But I will run it by her I guess.
geekyengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 08:21   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

I owned an i20 earlier and now did a TD on the grand i10 as my father is considering a new car. I went through the same dilemma and here are my findings:

Grand i10 is best suited for city conditions, both in terms of gearing ratios, steering and driveability.
Grand is peppy to drive and should offer higher FE considering it is lighter than the i20.
Best suited for 4 people. Specific to my dad, 90% of the time he would be alone in the car, 5% with my mom coming along and less than 5% with 1 or 2 people in the rear.
Price difference for the same variant between the cars on paper: 80-100k. Even after various the offers for i20, a difference of 40-50k would still be there.
Found segment firsts like rear a/c vents on the grand i10; not available in the i20 as of now.
The shoulder line for the i20 is very high in the rear making it a bit claustrophobic.
The grand is a new car and bound to stay atleast for the next 5 yrs. Pricing is VFM and I feel it could cannibalize i20 sales.

Also urge people to consider magna or the sports variants if the usage is mainly within the city as I personally dont find much value in ORVM opening electronically, blinkers with the ORVM, etc, though there are safety features which I would miss.
With the above reasoning, we have booked the grand i10 magna petrol yesterday. I would have loved to pick and choose the features like ABS, Airbags on to the magna variant at an additional cost but we dont have such flexibilities.
harishF1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 12:37   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 609
Thanked: 654 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Thanks for all your feedback. The Mrs. seems to have frozen on the i20. However, the dealer is giving a 25k discount only whilst I understand from the posts here that about 50k is possible. Let's see if the dealer can be pushed.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 12:39   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 609
Thanked: 654 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

[quote=geekyengineer;3263723]If petrol is your need, the LS ABS variant comes with exactly the same level of safety features(ABS+Driver AB), suspension is really good, doors fell heavy & produce thud, built-in stereo with bluetooth but on interiors Hyundai scores more.

Have a test drive no harm to evaluate all options before you settle for one.

Beat is again on overall feel of the car(nice interiors+proven track record) as I read above space is not kind of must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
@GeekyEngineer - Well, the Beat and SAIL - The Beat is really tiny and the SAIL is Chinese. As it is I don't wish to add more variants and add to her confusion. But I will run it by her I guess.
Actually, I really like the Beat. If they had an automatic variant - I would pick it up for myself over other smaller auto variants. For that segment - only the i10, A-Star and Ritz offer the autobox.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 11:43   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Price difference for the same variant between the cars on paper: 80-100k. Even after various the offers for i20, a difference of 40-50k would still be there.
Possible because of taxes in KA. In Mumbai and rest of MH, the price difference between Grand i10 and i20 Magna variants is not more than 10k post discounts on i20 and 0 discounts on Grand i10.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 12:07   #36
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default

I recently test drove the Grand i10 petrol and found it more peppier than i20 petrol.

What is the Euro NCAP rating of i10 Grand? i20 has a 5 star rating. I have no idea of i10. Compare this parameter too.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 12:48   #37
BHPian
 
rejoycjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Calicut
Posts: 442
Thanked: 708 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Thanks for all your feedback. The Mrs. seems to have frozen on the i20. However, the dealer is giving a 25k discount only whilst I understand from the posts here that about 50k is possible. Let's see if the dealer can be pushed.
Hey Invidious, may be adding a poll here in the thread can give you feedback in terms of numbers.. ?

Anyway my choice would have been GrandI10, its a generation ahead of current i20 or i10. There is news that the current i20 for sure will be replaced by the next generation one shortly. The next generation would not be a mere facelift but a car that is completely re engineered. Hyundai is a car company that is evolving and putting your money on the latest one would be the best choice.
http://motorbash.com/rendered-2014-hyundai-i20/

So if you go with the current i20, the chances that you will be disappointed when the new one comes are huge. On the other hand Grand i10 is here to stay and will be here for the next couple of years or more for sure. In terms of interior space, there isn't much of a difference with i20, after all as you mentioned there wont be many people traveling in your car other than your wife the space is not much of a constraint as well.

Unless you always wanted to have an i20 and craved for that, go for grand i10. Chances of a future regret is minimum.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 13:50   #38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hey Invidious, may be adding a poll here in the thread can give you feedback in terms of numbers.. ?

Anyway my choice would have been GrandI10, its a generation ahead of current i20 or i10. There is news that the current i20 for sure will be replaced by the next generation one shortly. The next generation would not be a mere facelift but a car that is completely re engineered. Hyundai is a car company that is evolving and putting your money on the latest one would be the best choice.
http://motorbash.com/rendered-2014-hyundai-i20/

So if you go with the current i20, the chances that you will be disappointed when the new one comes are huge. On the other hand Grand i10 is here to stay and will be here for the next couple of years or more for sure. In terms of interior space, there isn't much of a difference with i20, after all as you mentioned there wont be many people traveling in your car other than your wife the space is not much of a constraint as well.

Unless you always wanted to have an i20 and craved for that, go for grand i10. Chances of a future regret is minimum.
I'm in the market for a new car around Jan-Feb next year. So far the i10 grand has been the most impressive, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the new i20 version. Any idea about the estimated time of arrival for the new version of i20? Is it expected to come with an increase in price a la Grand i10 comapared to the original i10?
sarav87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 07:12   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I recently test drove the Grand i10 petrol and found it more peppier than i20 petrol. What is the Euro NCAP rating of i10 Grand? i20 has a 5 star rating. I have no idea of i10. Compare this parameter too.
Be very clear that only specific variants of the I20 which are sold in India will even come near to Euro NCAP 5 Star Rating compliance. The ones which do comply would be the Asta (O) definitely and perhaps, by the skin of its teeth, the plain jane Asta version, I believe. The Era and Magna and all the rest of those versions are just simply piggybacking on this Euro NCAP 5 Star rating, because they do not come with either ABS or Airbags or any such safety aids.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:05   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Thane
Posts: 26
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

I'm in a similar dilemma, saw the grand i10 & i20 at a dealership. Did not go for a TD as it was getting quite late. But the Grand i10 comes across as a perfectly proportioned car for 1st timers. Kind-off a tall boy design with decent amount of space & features.
The i20 on the other hand is huge. The boot especially. But space wise at the rear I didn't find it to be a big difference, infact i felt the head room to be somewhat less as compared to Grand (probably that's just me), but overall in i20 the internal volume appears more like that of a sedan than a hatch.
DasAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:57   #41
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,612
Thanked: 8,609 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAuto View Post
I'm in a similar dilemma, saw the grand i10 & i20 at a dealership. Did not go for a TD as it was getting quite late. But the Grand i10 comes across as a perfectly proportioned car for 1st timers. Kind-off a tall boy design with decent amount of space & features.
The i20 on the other hand is huge. The boot especially. But space wise at the rear I didn't find it to be a big difference, infact i felt the head room to be somewhat less as compared to Grand (probably that's just me), but overall in i20 the internal volume appears more like that of a sedan than a hatch.
If you are looking primarily for a city drive, then I think its Grand i10 hands down. But if you are also looking at highway, i20 comes into picture. Boot size is something which is the third assessment point. Grand i10 make a perfect second car for the city. As a first car also its very good, if one is on budget with a decent highway performance. Need to take care about the boot space.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd March 2014 at 15:59.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 04:19   #42
Newbie
 
abchrjee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

I started looking at the market in order to buy a PETROL hatchback in the 6 lakh range and given the kind of features Hyundai offers, it has boiled down to Grand I10 sportz and the I20 magna optional. Hence with this in mind I took the TD for both the above mentioned cars very recently, and I will try to lay down my observations as neatly as possible on these two premium hatchback siblings.

PROS:

GRAND I10:

1) Compared to the old I10, the driving dynamics have improved immensely.
2) The engine is just sweet. The car seems to be zippy in the city and stable cruiser at high speeds.
3) Though not the sweetest handler in the segment, it's pretty good though. It's no Swift for sure, but it is in my judgment the second best. Wider tyres will only enhance the performance.
4) Interior quality is quite mind blowing for the segment.
5) Feature wise, Sportz version onwards it's loaded to the teeth, and it's only competition is...of course the I20.
6) The rear bench is quite comfy and has ample legroom. Also it's reasonably wide. So seating 3 is not a big deal.
7) And yes...of course..rear AC vents.

I20:

1) On bad roads it soaks up bumps and pot holes quite nicely, thanks to the softer suspension set up.
2) As long as the engine is not being strained, it's absolutely smooth, and at higher revs, sounds very nice.
3) Interior quality is again, quite superb.
4) When it comes to equipment levels even in the now entry level Magna Optional, most of the new sedans can bite the dust.
5) Front seats are very comfortable and supportive. The armrest for the driver is a bonus.
6) The dead pedal is a great thing to have for those weekend highway drives.

CONS:

GRAND I10:

1) Even though the car looks modern and build quality is above par, it's not drop dead gorgeous to look at.
2) For all the good bits, there is no automatic climate control even in Asta.
3) The stock sound system could have been better.
4) No dead pedal.
5) One size bigger and wider tyres could have bettered the ride. However to bump up fuel efficiency, most manufacturers trim down the tyre sizes.

I20:

1) Its a heavier car with essentially the same engine as Grand I10. So inevitably it's not as fun to drive enthusiastically and also is less fuel efficient.
2) Rear bench is just too upright and hard. I imagine it would be a pain for the passengers on long drives.
3) Owing to the softer suspension, it's not very composed at higher speeds. It feels bouncy. There is also a lot of body roll.

FINAL VERDICT:

Given that I am looking for a petrol hatchback to suit my specific requirements, this verdict is entirely my personal opinion.
Grand I10 has just blown me away given its value for money proposition. Given its price and how well it's equipped, no wonder that it has become a run away hit.
I20 is a good car, and also a well proven package on Indian auto market. However, with the arrival of the Grand I10, I believe the dynamics will shift a bit. I20 is now clearly a car for the more mature buyer with a more sedate and relaxed driving style. It's good for daily city runs and oozes out premium quality. However, with its lazy performance and uncomfortable back bench, I don't think it ticks the boxes for a 'weekend' car. A long drive in this car with friends and family, and I bet the back benchers will reach the destination with a stiff back.
On the other hand, Grand I10 is a lot more aspirational, and offers a well rounded package. It's reasonably rewarding to drive, and is comfortable to be driven in.It's also reasonably fuel efficient ( the salesman promised real life efficiency of 14kmpl with ac) It offers I20 like premium features at a relatively cheaper price point. Grand I10 clearly feels more young and fresh.

With all these comparisons in mind, I have decided to go for Grand I10 Sportz petrol.
I hope this comes in handy for new buyers like me who are confused between these two cars.
abchrjee is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 14:46   #43
Newbie
 
Elly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Hi Guys,

Quick question relevant to this thread but not addressed yet. I am confused between Grand i10 ASTA AT (Petrol) and i20 ASTA (O) (Petrol). Both have a price difference of 50K (OTR). So money is not a concern.

What I am looking for?
1) Good looks (exterior & interior)
2) Long Features List
3) Decent Mileage (12-15kmpl in city driving of 500 kms/month)
4) Value for Money
5) Low Maintenance
6) Hassle free after sales service

Not looking for?
1) Not a Polo/Swift/Punto/Figo fan - basically not too keen on driving dynamics. When it comes to city driving there is a very thin line differentiating all of them!!
2) Non-Hyundai Car. Already have the new Elantra and very happy with the manufacturer and their After Sales Service

My mind is for the Grand owing to it being an automatic and a new car in the market. But my heart is for i20 for its premium looks and longer features list; though not sure whether it would have a better driving feel as compared to the grand i10. Lastly, 5 years down the line, which would command a better resale value and by how much difference?
Elly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 16:33   #44
Newbie
 
abchrjee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Elly,
features-wise yes I20 offers a better deal..but driving dynamics wise I feel grand is superior..I am currently owning one..and zipping in and out of city traffic is a breeze in the grand..and grand is more economical to run compared to I20.also, this current generation of I20 is going to be replaced by a new one in one years time...so five years down the line, the current I20 will depreciate faster than the grand I10... Atleast so I feel..I would suggest going for Grand.. because even when it comes to features, I do not think there is a Najor difference apart from automatic climate control, and Verna/elantra like rear parking cameras..
abchrjee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:25   #45
Newbie
 
Elly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by abchrjee View Post
Elly,
features-wise yes I20 offers a better deal..but driving dynamics wise I feel grand is superior..I am currently owning one..and zipping in and out of city traffic is a breeze in the grand..and grand is more economical to run compared to I20.also, this current generation of I20 is going to be replaced by a new one in one years time...so five years down the line, the current I20 will depreciate faster than the grand I10... Atleast so I feel..I would suggest going for Grand.. because even when it comes to features, I do not think there is a Najor difference apart from automatic climate control, and Verna/elantra like rear parking cameras..
Thanks buddy for your prompt response! I am buying the car for my wife and she has to travel a lot within Hyderabad city for her client visits and hence, more or less made up my mind to buy the Grand i10 AT for stress-free driving.

Just couple of more questions for you -
1) Do you have an AT or Manual? Which color? - we are confused between Twilight Blue or Star Dust (Grey)
2) What mileage are you getting currently in city driving?
Elly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent iamendangered Hatchbacks 74 19th September 2015 18:20
All i10 & i20 owners, I need feedback EDIT - Booked i10 AT Asta Tejas@perioimpl Hatchbacks 89 12th October 2011 14:58
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks