Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 15:14   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Lambo... go for the Getz. Put in a K&N replacement filter. Get 195/50/R15 rubber and nice wheels. Remember to use your own Engine Oil (I use Mobil1 SuperSyn). It will drive better than a Swift any day. I am a driving enthusiast and say this with 50k on the meter in my 2004 Getz. This is one of the best cars we have ever owned. Most of my friends (including some whose families have been servicing exotic cars since last 30 years) have test driven and preferred the Getz over the Swift. All I can say is that the Getz isnt for everyone, but then neither is Chardonnay...

As for the LPG conversion, wait for your warranty to end... You can look at the Lovato (all Italian parts) kit which costs around 30k with Lambda unit and emulator.
Agreed that its good car, but as far as driving comfort/handling/ride quality/mileage/pricing/A.S.S is concerned... It can not beat swift for sure. Yes space is definitly better.Not covered Looks as subjective.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 15:25   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Ajay,
personally and going from reviews here on T-BHP,
i found the quality, space, ride, pricing much better then the swift.
The swift like the esteem only appeals in terms of driving pleasure and maintainance.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 16:21   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Ajay,
personally and going from reviews here on T-BHP,
i found the quality, space, ride, pricing much better then the swift.
The swift like the esteem only appeals in terms of driving pleasure and maintainance.
Team BHP verdict was laud and clear check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...OLL+swift+getz (Getz or Swift)
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 16:42   #34
Newbie
 
bilal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: kerala
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

getz would be a sensible choice;only negatives being lack of exciting/modern looks and a small drop in fuel ecocnomy compared to swift.resale value is in general higher for maruti products;my friend has a swift vxi-done 10k km,only problem is minor rattle inside cabin which the dealer is unable to solve.i've also heard similar issues with other swift customers.
bilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 18:29   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Ajay,
i went through all the reviews i could get of the above two cars that i could lay my hands on.
This is what i found out -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlight=Swift

Ajmat's Swifts clutch problems

ACI swift's quality issue - first long term review where the seat angle adjuster came off within half an hour of delivery

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlight=Swift (Does Maruti Swift really deserve this much HYPE ?).

On the other hand,
the only issue i read about with the Getz was Vipers but he has also posted that he is still extremely happy with the car and wouldn't mind buying another one.

There are more articles regarding the same too.
I am not against the Swift or anyone here but the Getz is indeed a more practicle car, bigger, more comfortable, better built.
And i am sure a majority of T-BHPians will agree with me about that.

While the Getz does miss out on some of his requirements like FE (not by much though), driving pleasure and even perhaps resale value, it scores on other areas like space, comfort, maintainance.
While FE is an important criteria for him, he will not loose out other more important criterion for that extra 0.3 or 0.4 kmpl or that one second less the car takes to reach 100 or how fast the car can go into corners.
What matters is comfort - his mother is in her late 60's so this would be important, boot space/interior space - he has to load up his car quite a few times and hence every little bit of extra space counts. Also the swift would be a bit cramped as a family car, then there is quality - i am sure no one would want rattles to crop up or parts like the horn or central locking and even the clutch (i agree ajmat's is a rare case but still) to fail on long drives (including high speed stretches like the expressway which can be dangerous in the night) now would they?
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 19:06   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Ajay,
i went through all the reviews i could get of the above two cars that i could lay my hands on.
This is what i found out -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlight=Swift

Ajmat's Swifts clutch problems

ACI swift's quality issue - first long term review where the seat angle adjuster came off within half an hour of delivery

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlight=Swift (Does Maruti Swift really deserve this much HYPE ?).

On the other hand,
the only issue i read about with the Getz was Vipers but he has also posted that he is still extremely happy with the car and wouldn't mind buying another one.

There are more articles regarding the same too.
I am not against the Swift or anyone here but the Getz is indeed a more practicle car, bigger, more comfortable, better built.
And i am sure a majority of T-BHPians will agree with me about that.

While the Getz does miss out on some of his requirements like FE (not by much though), driving pleasure and even perhaps resale value, it scores on other areas like space, comfort, maintainance.
While FE is an important criteria for him, he will not loose out other more important criterion for that extra 0.3 or 0.4 kmpl or that one second less the car takes to reach 100 or how fast the car can go into corners.
What matters is comfort - his mother is in her late 60's so this would be important, boot space/interior space - he has to load up his car quite a few times and hence every little bit of extra space counts. Also the swift would be a bit cramped as a family car, then there is quality - i am sure no one would want rattles to crop up or parts like the horn or central locking and even the clutch (i agree ajmat's is a rare case but still) to fail on long drives (including high speed stretches like the expressway which can be dangerous in the night) now would they?
This way you can not judge a vehicle ( i too liked getz and not against it, it is another good car). If you start finding you will get load of people with one or two issues with every car in the world. The general opinion about the swift is quite clear with this poll so no point in discussing. If you want you get to minor specs of both the cars to know those small points. I also agree that initial few batch of swift had few rattling issues but seems to be solved by Maruti in later version. Also please check the volumes sold( sw=5000, getz=800) though not a objective indicator but still speaks a lot about the faith in Maruti people have. I request you not to read me offensive , I am just voicing my opinion.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 22:43   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Ajay,
i am not reading you as offensive and i too love the swift. It isn't a bad car but what i am saying is from what i heard.
Infact if my brother was still a bachelor, i am quite confident that he would be driving a Swift in black with black tints, alloys and what not but as people on this forum have said, the Getz is a more family oriented car.
A fact is, if i am looking for a car, have a driving license and the car is going to be self driven by me only most of the time, i would get a swift between these two, that is as long as i am single.
Also, I haven't seen the later versions of the swift but am just stating what i have seen/heard.
And also,
do not judge the car by the number of votes it gets, the reasons for why the vote was given to a certain car is more important not to mention if the car fits your criteria.
My brother is into imports of garments, has a four member family + a maidservant occasionally and he travels alot and therefore in his case i am sure you would agree that driving comfort, mileage, practicility, space, comfort are more important then just plain speed or jus driving pleasure with a bad ride.
Anyways,
it's going to be the Getz now. His wife didn't like the looks of the Swift.
No offense.
Cheers.

BTW, what would be a better buy in the Getz?
GVS or GLS?
If GVS then the accessories would include fogs and perhaps fatter tyres.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 10:21   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Ajay,
i am not reading you as offensive and i too love the swift. It isn't a bad car but what i am saying is from what i heard.
Infact if my brother was still a bachelor, i am quite confident that he would be driving a Swift in black with black tints, alloys and what not but as people on this forum have said, the Getz is a more family oriented car.
A fact is, if i am looking for a car, have a driving license and the car is going to be self driven by me only most of the time, i would get a swift between these two, that is as long as i am single.
Also, I haven't seen the later versions of the swift but am just stating what i have seen/heard.
And also,
do not judge the car by the number of votes it gets, the reasons for why the vote was given to a certain car is more important not to mention if the car fits your criteria.
My brother is into imports of garments, has a four member family + a maidservant occasionally and he travels alot and therefore in his case i am sure you would agree that driving comfort, mileage, practicility, space, comfort are more important then just plain speed or jus driving pleasure with a bad ride.
Anyways,
it's going to be the Getz now. His wife didn't like the looks of the Swift.
No offense.
Cheers.

BTW, what would be a better buy in the Getz?
GVS or GLS?
If GVS then the accessories would include fogs and perhaps fatter tyres.
Agreed Lambo... I think we both are talking same thing I dont know where is the confusion. Yes Getz has more space and hence more practical car.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 12:38   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
While the Getz does miss out on some of his requirements like FE (not by much though), driving pleasure and even perhaps resale value, it scores on other areas like space, comfort, maintainance. While FE is an important criteria for him, he will not loose out other more important criterion for that extra 0.3 or 0.4 kmpl
I have always felt that both are good cars and lookwise I think the Getz is better. The Swift IMO looks like an obese lady wobbling along (esp. when seen from the rear), compared to the sleek (yet spacious) looks of the Getz. But that is just my opinion and others could differ.

One point where I would disagree with you is about the FE difference between the 2 cars. I don't think it is a negligible difference of 0.3 or 0.4 kmpl as you mentioned. I know only 2 Getz owners and one of them is a girl who works with me and as girls go, she is not even bothered about FE etc - the car is just a mode of transportation for her. So no idea about her car's FE.

The other is a guy who checked the FE and found it to be 10 and 14 kmpl in city and highway (both with a/c on always). I don't know any Swift owners personally, but on tbhp, I have seen figures upwards of 11-12 usually for Swift. This means a difference of atleast 1kmpl and more, which is pretty substantial. Just make sure that your bro is aware of this. And if he is willing to ignore this, then I feel, the Getz is as good a car as any in its class.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th July 2006 at 12:40.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 14:04   #40
BHPian
 
theEnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 534
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I'm assuming you have already bought a Getz. If so, good choice.

I drive a Swift Zxi, and there's way too many Swift's already on the road. One of the things i feel is important is to have a car that isnt too common.

Additionally, the engine and suspension of the Getz are superior. The Swift's engine is responsive only when driven hard (above 3500 rpm) and any driver who doesn't want huge fuel bills isn't going to do that often. Getz has better lower end torque which makes it more drivable.

All that said, the Swift is still a great car with an interesting look and great features (on the upper models). But the Getz is a more practical choice, especially for a family.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 14:05   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Supreme,
i'll speak to my brother about that.
Thanks for bringing it up. Even he agrees that the Getz suits all his needs.
He says that worst is to worst he will get a LPG kit put on the car so let's see.
Ajay,
quite agree with you there bro.
Cheers and thanks

Edit -
TheEnd,
we haven't bought the car yet.
We will finalise today and yet have to close off the pending amout of the loan.

Guys, what would the be the apprx. price of the Santro?
It's been hit once, done a genuine 37Kkm and is a 2004 model XG.
Cheers

Last edited by lamborghini : 27th July 2006 at 14:09.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 01:27   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 2,034 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini

Guys, what would the be the apprx. price of the Santro?
It's been hit once, done a genuine 37Kkm and is a 2004 model XG.
Cheers
depends a lot on how well the repair job has been executed.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 22:17   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Hey Manson,
he got 2.3L for his Santro.
Quite a good price.
The getz has also come last night. Will go and check it out tomorrow. I think its meant to be passion red colour. Not sure.
Will post a pic or two tomorrow.
Thanks and cheers to all you guys.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 18:53   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Hey guys,
my bro did indeed get the car 2-3 days ago.
I saw it yesterday as he was out of town and here are a couple of pics i took from my cell.
Cheers and thanks a lot guys.



Oh and guys,
inside the car, i noticed a couple of screws had green paint over them. Anything to worry about?
Check it out.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Santro or Swift or Getz Sam Kapasi Hatchbacks 32 21st October 2007 10:37
Swift Lxi /Getz Gle1.1 / wagonrVxi / Santro xo best car at 4.5L varunghatge Hatchbacks 50 1st October 2007 11:41
Getz prime 1.3 is overpriced than previous getz ( old one )? hrishig The Indian Car Scene 3 30th April 2007 10:29
Getz New Launch + Getz vs Swift.. scorp 1 Hatchbacks 18 23rd August 2006 11:34
Which Car to Buy? Getz or Swift or Santro rickuv Hatchbacks 50 19th April 2006 18:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks