Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2014, 19:41   #31
CPJ
BHPian

Default re: Automatic: Used Maruti A-Star or new Honda Brio? EDIT: It's a Brio!

Hello Ashwin,
I own a Brio VX AT. Its a great little vehicle, very nimble and its a breeze to park because of great visibility all way round.

However its far from being called as Hot Hatch in its automatic avatar, the torque converter on the brio is slow to respond as compared to DSG of the VW Polo Tsi.

If you want Power + Automatic then Polo Tsi it is however if you want a reliable Automatic hatch then Brio AT is your best bait and worth the extra money over A Star in my opinion.
Old 18th June 2014, 10:53   #32
BHPian

I learnt from a Honda delaer the 2014 Jazz would be launched by Dec 2014. The interwebbytubes suggest that it would be powered by a 1.2L petrol engine used in the Brio.

Is there any way in the world that Honda India would offer the 2014 Jazz with a 1.5L petrol motor?

To me, it makes perfect sense, as it would justify the premium over a Brio. They could position the Brio as a city hatch and the Jazz as a jack of all trades. It would also be economically viable, since they could share the engine with the City. Furthermore, the Mobilio also comes with the 1.5L petrol engine.

So, why would someone in India buy a Jazz AT instead of a Amaze AT or Brio AT, if all of them are powered by the same 1.2L unit? Fuel efficiency isn't going to be that different as well. What unique value proposition would the Jazz offer? So, Honda please use some of your Japanese ingenuity and don't listen to your Indian bobblehead upper management.

Price it under 10 lacs on-road and obliterate the Polo TSI.

Just going to keep my fingers crossed. The 1.5L iVTEC Jazz coupled with a CVT would be my ideal car. Now, if only wishes rode horses!

Mods: Is it worth starting a separate thread speculating about the possibility of 1.5L i-VTEC Jazz and maybe adding a poll at the end to gauge market interest? I hope to send "subtle" hints to Honda this way.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 18th June 2014 at 11:19.
Old 18th June 2014, 13:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
I learnt from a Honda delaer the 2014 Jazz would be launched by Dec 2014. The interwebbytubes suggest that it would be powered by a 1.2L petrol engine used in the Brio.

Is there any way in the world that Honda India would offer the 2014 Jazz with a 1.5L petrol motor?

Unfortunately our Tax laws have a lower excise duty if the car is less than 4 meters with a 1.2 liter petrol or 1.5 liter Diesel engine. If Jazz has a 1.5 P engine, it will result in the car costing as much as the City and we know the market will never buy that (POLO 1.2 TSI is well priced only because its a 1.2 liter engine). Hence i doubt if the Jazz will come with a 1.5 P engine. It however will come in the 1.5 D engine which will get the excise duty benifit and naturally outsell the Petrol!
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 14:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Unfortunately our Tax laws have a lower excise duty if the car is less than 4 meters with a 1.2 liter petrol or 1.5 liter Diesel engine.
Right! I totally forgot about that brilliant rule. The chances of me owing an AT that is small, powerful and reliable is pretty slim in that case.
Old 18th June 2014, 15:51   #35
BHPian

I would say go with the City AT eyes closed because

1. Paddleshifts which is not there in the Corolla.
2. Smaller footprint means easier to park and run around town.

I owned a Corolla for about 10 years & an Innova for 3 years and just sold both in Jan14. While both were trouble free, parts do tend to be expensive if need replacement. On the plus side, its got a more premium image and a bigger car!!
Old 19th June 2014, 15:25   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please restrict the discussion to cars currently on sale, and not those yet to be launched (e.g. Mobilio). Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 09:44   #37
BHPian

Update: Finally, got to TD the Brio and it just feels much better to drive compared to the astar wrt acceleration, handling, visibility and overall feeling inside the cabin. Most of all, I just feel that the car has character, which of course is personal and intangible.

So, have almost decided on the Brio, but waiting periods are a real buzzkill. So, my mind has started to play devil's advocate again. I just have one final concern before I make the booking today.

I was not able to drive the Brio at highway speeds. Most reviews on T-bhp state that the Brio doesn't behave that well on the highway. But, the Amaze which is essentially a Brio strapped on with a boot & slightly longer wheelbase is quite decent on the highway. So, is the Brio adequate for the highway, if its going to be primarily 30km highway runs?

Last edited by ashwin489 : 27th June 2014 at 09:58.
Old 27th June 2014, 10:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, is the Brio adequate for the highway, if its going to be primarily 30km highway runs?
I don't think the Brio is that unstable on highways and not that you are going to drive it at 120+ kmph speeds for it to jump around. I feel the car is stable enough till 120 kmph.

30 kms highway isn't an issue and knowing our road conditions reaching triple digit speeds is difficult.

Anurag.
Old 27th June 2014, 19:11   #39
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
...got to TD the Brio and it just feels much better to drive compared to the astar wrt acceleration, handling, visibility and overall feeling inside the cabin.
With due respect, A-Star is a car a class below the Brio. The A-Star is just the third generation alto internationally, was sold as a different car in India.
Brio is a whole class above the A-Star, so your experience was obvious. So, I can clearly say that the Brio is a safe choice.

Quote:
waiting periods are a real buzzkill.
Well, no surprise there. in the sub 10 lakh INR, automatics form a very small share of the market (except Celerio). So the factory makes it on your order.

Quote:
I was not able to drive the Brio at highway speeds.
Well the max I have gone in a Brio(MT) is 100 kmph. It's not very stable but not to the degree of being nervous like yesteryear(and some current) Hyundais.
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 19:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
With due respect, A-Star is a car a class below the Brio. The A-Star is just the third generation alto internationally, was sold as a different car in India.
Brio is a whole class above the A-Star, so your experience was obvious.
I know I sounded like 'captain obvious' with my observations.

I was just excited to report, since getting the TD car felt like an accomplishment in itself, after hassling 3 dealers and listening to tons of excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Well, no surprise there. in the sub 10 lakh INR, automatics form a very small share of the market (except Celerio). So the factory makes it on your order.
Add to that the fact that Honda are temporarily suspending Brio production in July to focus on their new MPV launch.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 27th June 2014 at 19:32.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I only wish the Polo TSI was manufactured by a Japanese company, Ford or a less arrogant/ self-aggrandizing organization. Everyone that I have interacted with at VW sales have been arrogant, disinterested or both; or maybe I was just plain unlucky. They don't offer extended warranty on the TSI-DSG variant & I'm not that adventurous with my money.
If you are annoyed by their pre-sale attitude itself, I can only imagine you throwing stones at their showroom glasses out of frustration when you encounter their 'get lost from here' attitude in the A.S.S. VW is only for Bhuddhas and Mahathmas who attained 6th level of self realization, who won't get angry at any cost.
joe_antony is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 11:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
If you are annoyed by their pre-sale attitude itself, I can only imagine you throwing stones at their showroom glasses out of frustration when you encounter their 'get lost from here' attitude in the A.S.S. VW is only for Bhuddhas and Mahathmas who attained 6th level of self realization, who won't get angry at any cost.
The other VW dealer (VW Whitefield) that promised a test drive is still yet to deliver on his promise, 2 weeks later. The irony is that Volkswagen (i.e. Folk's Wagon) is anything but a people's car.

Sorry for going off-topic again; this will be my last post regarding VW on this thread.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 5th July 2014 at 11:34.
Old 10th July 2014, 10:43   #43
BHPian

Hi Folks . I drive an AT Laura and we have a second fabia that I /driver have been driving. Now my driver has left and my wife has decided to start driving. We have now decided to sell the fabia and go in for a city use AT and keep the Laura for Highway. The challenge is my wife is 5-2 and I am 6-2. We are looking for a small car, i10, A star... that both of us can drive. My wife wants small (hatchback, no sedan) and AT, visibility and I want distance between seat and pedals, decent clearance for head. Any suggestions .... We are open to used cars, petrol, etc. Budget about 7 Lakhs, give or take 10% ... Thank you Sathya
Old 10th July 2014, 14:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

The most obvious choices here are the i20 AT or the Polo Tsi AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
The challenge is my wife is 5-2 and I am 6-2. We are looking for a small car, i10, A star... that both of us can drive. My wife wants small (hatchback, no sedan) and AT, visibility and I want distance between seat and pedals, decent clearance for head. Any suggestions .... We are open to used cars, petrol, etc. Budget about 7 Lakhs, give or take 10% ... Thank you Sathya
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:03   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
Hi Folks . I drive an AT Laura and we have a second fabia that I /driver have been driving. Now my driver has left and my wife has decided to start driving. We have now decided to sell the fabia and go in for a city use AT and keep the Laura for Highway. The challenge is my wife is 5-2 and I am 6-2. We are looking for a small car, i10, A star... that both of us can drive. My wife wants small (hatchback, no sedan) and AT, visibility and I want distance between seat and pedals, decent clearance for head. Any suggestions .... We are open to used cars, petrol, etc. Budget about 7 Lakhs, give or take 10% ... Thank you Sathya
I would suggest Ritz AT.

Handles well, has decent space and super efficient + reliable and moreover it is a tall-boy so head space should not be a problem for you at all. The K12M is a decent performer so it should satisfy you overall.

Anurag.
Closed Thread