Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


View Poll Results: Your choice?
Maruti Swift 127 59.07%
Hyundai Grand i10 88 40.93%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 21:52   #166
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Swift VXI or Polo 1.2 Highline

Hi All,

Ive been following this thread for a while and I am sorry for butting in a thread started by someone else, but it seems this thread is most relevant to my query.

I currently own a Nov 2012 model Hyundai EON. It was my first car and I learnt to drive on it. In the past 2.5 years I have realized that I need something with a bit more kick and more upmarket feel. My budget is about 7.25 to 7.5 lakhs max

Driving pleasure takes priority over everything else for me and I am fixated on Petrol Engines.

I have test driven almost all the cars mentioned in this thread and narrowed my options to the following 3:

Hyundai Elite I 20 (petrol):
Pros - Looks, Size, Features
Cons - Under powered Engine.
OTR Magna - 7.5 Lakhs (without discounts)

Suzuki Swift (petrol)
Pros - Spirited Engine, Reliability, Features Supposedly best Mileage,
Cheapest amongst the 3.
Cons - Has been around for some time (still looks cool though), zero road
presence, small boot.
OTR ZXI - 7.05 lakhs (with discounts)

VW Polo:
Pros - Interiors, Engine, Upmarket Feel, More planted Drive, loved the new
steering wheel.
Cons - Priciest of the trio (though i feel the premium is worth it), Ive heard the real world mileage figures are in the range of 9 to 11 kmpl, even with moderate traffic, Maintanence costs a bomb (a friend quoted the basic service cost as Rs. 9000, whereas the rest of the 2 cars servicing is probably half as much)

So my dilemma is this, Ive fallen in love with the Polo but my family (read mom!) is not convinced since she will also be driving the car and feels the maintanence costs and the mileage are huge deterring factors.

She has made my choices clear for me, its between the Swift and the I 20. By myself I am convinced that I wont be going for the Elite because of its sluggish engine.

So I guess Im reaching out to all the existing Polo owners on this forum and also anyone who has knowledge about this car. Can you please tell me if the Polo is actually that much harder to maintain? Im pretty much sold on the car but I have to admit, practicality is kinda playing spoil sport in my decision making.

Close to 90% of my driving will be within city limits.

Please help.
ayush0735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 00:02   #167
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Polo TSI would have been a no brainer and not the normal Polo that is on your list.

Of the remaining two, I would say go with Swift. In my opinion and from various dtives I have taken Swift is a better choice as its fun to drive and has decent sterring feedback.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 01:53   #168
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 571
Thanked: 594 Times
Default

The swift petrol actually has the best engine in its class. The polo's 3-cylinder petrol is neither reliable nor is it fun to drive. The elite i20 is good but the 1.2 doesn't do any justice to its size. I would say swift zxi is your best bet. 👍

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 20:14   #169
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Polo TSI would have been a no brainer and not the normal Polo that is on your list.

Of the remaining two, I would say go with Swift. In my opinion and from various dtives I have taken Swift is a better choice as its fun to drive and has decent sterring feedback.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Any idea on the maintanence costs of the Polo?
ayush0735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 20:25   #170
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,591 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush0735 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Any idea on the maintanence costs of the Polo?
Are you looking at the regular Polo or the TSI? Also note, Hyundai 1.2 petrol is one most refined engines. May not be as fun as the Maruti K-series, but nevertheless its good. So in such a case, I would say go with I20. After your initial honeymoon period gets over, its the interior creature comforts that may take precedence esp, for the folks in the back seat (read family). From that point of view I20 makes much more sense.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 20:31   #171
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 776
Thanked: 687 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Do test drive the Tata Bolt petrol before you decide, in my opinion, is THE MOST fun manual hatchback to drive today. The petrol engine is just brilliant with its 3 drive modes. Most fun auto hatch would be the Polo TSi.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 20:48   #172
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush0735 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Any idea on the maintenance costs of the Polo?
No first hand experience with this.

Take a look at this thread to get some idea on all variants.

http://www.cardekho.com/volkswagen-p...rvice-cost.htm

I personally would not base my decision to buy or not to buy on maintenance costs.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 12:58   #173
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
No first hand experience with this.

Take a look at this thread to get some idea on all variants.

http://www.cardekho.com/volkswagen-p...rvice-cost.htm

I personally would not base my decision to buy or not to buy on maintenance costs.
I agree it sounds self contradicting when I say I am interested in a premium hatchback but also concerned with the maintanence/running costs.

Its just that i dont wanna buy a car which makes me cringe each time i look at the distance to empty, which is why I was so keen on knowing the real world mileage figures!

Appreciate your thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you looking at the regular Polo or the TSI? Also note, Hyundai 1.2 petrol is one most refined engines. May not be as fun as the Maruti K-series, but nevertheless its good. So in such a case, I would say go with I20. After your initial honeymoon period gets over, its the interior creature comforts that may take precedence esp, for the folks in the back seat (read family). From that point of view I20 makes much more sense.
Hi Ampere,

I wish I had the budget for the GT but alas it is not so, so I am considering the regular Polo petrol.

I agree that the I 20 trumps the Swift in terms of looks, interiors and back seat space, but I have a family of 2 and rear space isnt really a priority for me and I took the Eon over the Alto primarily due to the better looks and the interiors and 2 years down I realize that the K10 or perhaps even the 800 would have been better in terms of driving pleasure (this isnt the grass is greener on the other side kinda deal!). So now Im primarily focussing on what drives, handles and feels better.

Thanks for the advice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Do test drive the Tata Bolt petrol before you decide, in my opinion, is THE MOST fun manual hatchback to drive today. The petrol engine is just brilliant with its 3 drive modes. Most fun auto hatch would be the Polo TSi.
Hi,

Cant go for a Tata Sir, my father went through the nightmare of owning a petrol Indica, which broke the bank each time he had it refilled. I agree that Tata has improved considerably but I seem to have a mental block against Tata vehicles in general.

Thanks for the response though.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th March 2015 at 16:24. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote feature
ayush0735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 17:04   #174
BHPian
 
RonXRi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
This car has strong pluses: Better fit and finish and quality of materials, soft & ultra smooth sounding engine and soft plush ride, better rear seat comfort, looks proportionate and is a better designed family car, more roomy (may not be wide), feels every bit a better car than others in that segment, also it is HUGELY EASIER TO DRIVE than the Swift (an imp. factor for some).

The Swift satisfies different requirements, the car and rev friendly engine is a joy above 60/70 kmph

I spent 7 times that on annual maintenance of my Fabia this year.
Bumping up an old thread, but I've come across the right person here

I drive a 1.2 petrol Fabia right now, and I might be looking for a new car. How do the Grand and Swift feel in FTD terms, when compared to the Fabia?
Not sure since I haven't come across any comparison posts between these three.

Thanks
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 21:13   #175
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 246
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
Not sure since I haven't come across any comparison posts between these three.
Haven't driven a Fabia. Between the Gi10 and Swift, the Swift wins hands down as far as FTD terms are considered. How about the Baleno ? The second from top model is priced almost at par with the Swift Zxi/Zdi.
promit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:49   #176
Newbie
 
hgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 17
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Sorry for bumping this thread. But this thread is more relevant to my query.

My friend's looking for a new car for his daily city commute of 50-70km. He will use this car for next 3-4 years.
Budget is strictly 5.5L on road max.
He is looking for a features laden car that's good looking and fuel efficient as well.

These are the options he has considered so far:

1. i10 grand magna petrol
liked: Good looks, features
hated: Nothing

2. Swift vxi
liked: Maruti's extensive service netwrok, good looks.
hated: less VFM when compared to i10 magna


He is open to other brands as well but he is currently leaning towards i10 grand magna.
Since he is not a car enthusiast, Fun to drive factor of swift doesn't work for him and option packs (ABS, airbags) for swift are NOT available at local showroom. (He's not bothered about safety features actually)

Are there any other options worth considering?
How does basic models of Ford Figo compare against Swift vxi and Grand i10 magna in terms of features and fuel efficiency?

Brio, tiago and celerio were eliminated due to their small size and looks.
hgps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:54   #177
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
1. i10 grand magna petrol
liked: Good looks, features
hated: Nothing

2. Swift vxi
liked: Maruti's extensive service netwrok, good looks.
hated: less VFM when compared to i10 magna
Grand i10 is good choice if looks and features are primary factors for selection. I am not sure if Magna has safety features.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:49   #178
BHPian
 
jetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 442
Thanked: 357 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

You said it yourself! - Figo Trend variant should be a good option - it would probably cost much less than Grand i10 and Swift Vxi making it very VFM.

Comes with factory fitted ICE with steering mounted controls + bluetooth, electrically adjustable ORVMs, Driver + Passenger Airbags. It's wider than the Grand i10 and has longer wheelbase than Swift. My friend has a Figo Trend and my Brother-in-law has Grand i10. I have ridden shotgun many times in both the cars and I found the Figo more spacious and comfortable (front seats are nice compared to Grand i10).

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html (Ford Figo : Official Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
Are there any other options worth considering?
How does basic models of Ford Figo compare against Swift vxi and Grand i10 magna in terms of features and fuel efficiency?

Last edited by jetti : 22nd June 2016 at 19:54.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 20:15   #179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 293
Thanked: 544 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread. But this thread is more relevant to my query.

My friend's looking for a new car for his daily city commute of 50-70km. He will use this car for next 3-4 years.
Budget is strictly 5.5L on road max.
I consider safety features of prime importance in all of my cars. If he is willing to stretch just a little bit, Baleno Sigma is there (5.25 lakhs ex-showroom), and has all the safety features, plus most basic features other than ICE.

Figo Trend is another good option. Figo base diesel is a much better car though, and that would be worth the stretch too. Ameo is also attractive option at that price.

If your friend can wait, he would also be able to get Ignis by the festive season.

Another option would be soon to be launched Kwid 1.0. More power would make it much more suitable.

Considering the car is just to be used for 3-4 years, go for something with minimal depreciation, which make Marutis more suitable.

Last edited by autorahul : 22nd June 2016 at 20:18.
autorahul is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 20:30   #180
Newbie
 
hgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 17
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I consider safety features of prime importance in all of my cars. If he is willing to stretch just a little bit, Baleno Sigma is there (5.25 lakhs ex-showroom), and has all the safety features, plus most basic features other than ICE.

Figo Trend is another good option. Figo base diesel is a much better car though, and that would be worth the stretch too. Ameo is also attractive option at that price.

If your friend can wait, he would also be able to get Ignis by the festive season.

Another option would be soon to be launched Kwid 1.0. More power would make it much more suitable.

Considering the car is just to be used for 3-4 years, go for something with minimal depreciation, which make Marutis more suitable.
I too consider safety features most important features of a car. But he's not bothered about them. Moreover, sales person did their part by convincing him that ABS and airbags are not required in slow moving city traffic. I tried to convince him but i don't want to shove my opinion and choice on his face, after all its his car and his choice.

Baleno sigma is not available at Maruti showrooms, cheapest baleno was priced above 6.4L if i remember correctly and there is a long waiting list. He needs his car delivered as soon as possible.

At this point, he's pretty much sold to grand i10 for its features.
I will suggest him other options you and other members have listed above.
hgps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others champ27 What Car? 146 17th August 2016 10:02
Maruti Swift or Hyundai i10? yousivakutti Hatchbacks 88 7th March 2011 14:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks