Micra CVT 24 52.17%
Brio AT 22 47.83%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th July 2015, 12:52   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Now, just when we were deliberating, I chanced upon this thread and our considerations are somewhat similar:

1. Limited use by a senior citizen - say 400-500 KMS/month
2. AT a must - my recommendation given that my FIL is used to laid back Coimbatore traffic
3. Safety features also a must - at minimum ABS and 2 airbags

I thing the Micra CVT makes a compelling case for our needs, the only concern being the occasional highway trip to Mysore. Say, thrice a year.
If the highway runs are as occasional as thrice a year, maybe not make that a factor in buying the car as you can always go for a rented/self drive options during these rare occasions. Something which gives you more space and better confidence to do the long highway journey. Just my two cents.
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 13:21   #92
BHPian

Quote:

Is the Micra CVT a real no-go even for sedate highway driving (60-80 KMPH)? If yes, is it a better decision to opt for a traditional torque converter box instead?

The Micra CVT XV retails at 8.65 lakhs and has ticks 95% of the boxes, except for the unbelievable "European" ground clearance of 150mm
Can't talk about the Micra as I haven't driven it but the Brio AT should suit your requirements. It's pretty quick as it has the same powerful engine as the Jazz in a lesser weight body.

Has ABS and two airbags as well.

I have driven CVTs abroad and they are not fun to drive even with the 2.4L engines. But if one wants decent F.E., then they can go with it. But they will have to be patient to get the best out of the transmission else it will rev unnecessarily and waste fuel without going nowhere.

Double compromise, hence my vote is for Brio AT with that sweet Vtec. If one doesn't want a big car, then Brio AT makes absolute sense. It can still seat 4 in relative comfort if you are wondering.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 14:18   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I thing the Micra CVT makes a compelling case for our needs, the only concern being the occasional highway trip to Mysore. Say, thrice a year.

Is the Micra CVT a real no-go even for sedate highway driving (60-80 KMPH)? If yes, is it a better decision to opt for a traditional torque converter box instead?

The Micra CVT XV retails at 8.65 lakhs and has ticks 95% of the boxes, except for the unbelievable "European" ground clearance of 150mm
I don't think the Micra is that bad. Should be definitely fine for the occasional highway trips. Just that you will probably need to plan out things like over taking in some situations. Even that will become easy once you get get used to the car and understands how it behaves.

For your use case, would definitely recommend the fully loaded Micra over a lower variant Jazz with no safety features. Even with the Brio, considering the use case, the Micra would be a better suited option.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 14:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I don't think the Micra is that bad. Should be definitely fine for the occasional highway trips. Just that you will probably need to plan out things like over taking in some situations. Even that will become easy once you get get used to the car and understands how it behaves.

For your use case, would definitely recommend the fully loaded Micra over a lower variant Jazz with no safety features. Even with the Brio, considering the use case, the Micra would be a better suited option.
In micra CVT while overtaking use the sports mode. It would help in a big way. It is a value for money car as it comes in the top variant. Now they have launched one in the XL trim also. Ground clearance is never an issue in Micra. I have never scrapped my belly since last 2 years. I would vote for Micra
ram_hyundai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 22:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Quite shocking that Honda is making a customer wait a month for a car that has poor sales. It is not as if there is a big demand for the Brio.
That was my reaction too when I enquired about the VX AT availability today. I was told that there will be about a waiting period of 1-2 months for colours which are not in stock. A bit too ridiculous, to be frank.

At the moment, the showroom has only white and silver in stock. I was also told that the blue and red colours will be difficult to procure since those colour are not a priority for Honda at the moment.
anilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 15:45   #96
BHPian

After much deliberation, we decided to go with the big H. The Jazz V CVT it will be as it comes with all safely features we were looking at and at approx. 1.3 lakhs over the Micra CVT, has a much bigger road presence, better engine, established and reliable service network, combined with better resale value.

Awaiting delivery by end of August.
pannags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 17:58   #97
Senior - BHPian

Default Micra CVT or Brio AT or Grand i10AT --- wanted softest suspension.

An uncle of mine wants to buy an AT hatch. His only requirement is suspension should be very very soft. Because, (A), he drives at sedate 30-50 KPH (mostly in city) and (B), the roads in his area are rutted and undulating. He drove my A-Star AT and did not like because it has very stiff suspension. A-Star will throw you around on bad roads if driven at crawling speeds. So, which of the 3 cars mentioned above has softest suspension? Any suggestions please?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 19:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Micra CVT or Brio AT or Grand i10AT --- wanted softest suspension.

I recently test drove the above three (all AT boxes) & the GT Tsi with the same criteria in mind and of the lot the Micra topped in slow to medium speed drive on rutted and potholed roads. On the front seat the Polo did come close while on the rear seat the Micra was way ahead of the others by leaps n bounds.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 20:58   #99
BHPian

The Micra has the most comfortable suspension among the three.
As your uncle drives sedately, this car will be most suited for him IMO. The smooth manner in which it accelerates may be to his liking.
And yes. As khoj mentioned, the rear seat is most comfortable in the Micra.

Second choice would be the Grand i10. The Brio is comfortable no doubt, but might not be as pliant on irregular surfaces. Brio owners in this forum can pitch in on this.

I suggest you get your uncle to test drive these cars over a familiar stretch of 'rutted and undulating' road and decide. His actual perception can defer from our opinions.

Wish you and your uncle happy shopping!
psispace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 22:19   #100
BHPian

I have a manual Brio (2013) and my father has the Gi10. I can say that Brio probably has one of the worst ride quality among hatchbacks today. It needs absolutely smooth roads or be prepared for a bouncy ride all the way.

Grand i10s ride is much softer, it absorbs bad roads much better at city speeds. No idea about Micra.
heavenlybull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 22:28   #101
Team-BHP Support

Why not add the Jazz to the list? You can get a lower trim S AT for around the price of a top end Micra.

The ride quality in the Jazz was a revelation. It absorbed everything we threw at it without any occupants feeling uncomfortable.

Plus it's a larger car. The top end V AT is the one to go for.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 22:40   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I have a manual Brio (2013) and my father has the Gi10. I can say that Brio probably has one of the worst ride quality among hatchbacks today. It needs absolutely smooth roads or be prepared for a bouncy ride all the way.
I agree with this. I drive my dad's Brio occasionally and it really really gets bumpy.

I haven't driven it, but is Celerio not a good option ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 22:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for so prompt reply. BTW, I forgot to add that it will be a self-drive car. Being the senior citizen that he is, doc advised against using scooter on rutted roads because of all that bouncing and his back problem. Hence, the reason why he needs a soft suspension. Now it turned out just as I thought. Micra>Gran i10>Brio. But will the order be the same for front-seat occupancy?

Khoj, Polo TSI will be an overkill for him. And, Vid, Jazz did not come to my mind. Thanks. But don't you think it will be one size up for elderly? But if it comes into reckoning, will you place it above Micra for soft-suspension? I mean taking his slow speeds into account.
Old 17th August 2015, 23:02   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I agree with this. I drive my dad's Brio occasionally and it really really gets bumpy.

I haven't driven it, but is Celerio not a good option ?
Eddie, his Canada-based son advised against AMTs. Therefore, Celerio/Alto AMTs were not considered. Now I'm not saying his son is right but he considers traditional ATs superior. And you know how near and dear ones influence buying decisions. Also, I don't think these 2 cars have soft suspension. I'm sure about Alto. Celerio, I don't know.
Old 17th August 2015, 23:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

Never recommended it, only mentioned that it too was TDed & that it was second after Micra on front seat experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Khoj, Polo TSI will be an overkill for him.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote