Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 26th July 2006, 23:38   #16
BHPian

i dont know of the suspension problems on my accent crdi also , 2 years done with more than 50 k it has not giving me any . but i think you should go for the BALENO as i said in my post before also. and i think lxi n vxi both are good. more on personal taste.
Old 27th July 2006, 08:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana
HYUNDAI SHOWROOM

Baleno VXI : I had been reading a lot about Baleno and was really interested in LXI version. So next I searched for it. Found out that the showroom has only VXI on display. So tried that. From exterior the car looks OK. Nothing great. Infact the LXI version without spoiler is somewhat hard to digest. The interiors are all grey ... dominated by plastics. It certainly does not look like a VFM proposition. The car has a great engine .... agreed ... but how would you convince people who are non-drivers and mostly spend their time in back seat? The interiors are lack lusture and does not appeal. I strongly sense that Maruti is no longer interested in improving Baleno anymore. They might drop its price to push the sales but nothing sustantial to evolve it further. The accent in comparision makes a strong case of itself.

Bye
The car does have a great engine with its torquey nature which makes it perfect for indian driving conditions. FE too is comparable or even higher than the Accent.

You talk about back seats??? Then i would like to inform you that the Accent and the Esteem have one of the worst back seats in the segment, whereas its quite the opposite in the Baleno's case. It has ample amount of legroom at the back and also the rear doors open much wider than the Esteem/Accent which accounts for much easier ingress and egress.Front seats of the Baleno are in a different class altogether than any of the cars you have mentioned in your first post.

What about the A/C??? Its got a much better unit which compares even better than the Merc according to a certain Auto_Mag. The ride quality of the Baleno is also top notch compared to the other cars that you are considering.

Exteriors- Well its a very personal topic. Honestly i do not like the looks of the Baleno at all. But then i don't like the look of the Accent as well

Interiors- Well you say that the Baleno interiors are bad??? Just coz it does not have the beige scheme interiors of the Accent???? Well its a personal taste but Black/Grey dash and doorpads are easier on maintenence front.

But still its possible to get the Baleno interiors refreshened with by some quality leather job by Stanley Leather

I seriously suggest you Take a long test drives of all the cars that you consider. I guess you will be able to judge better.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2006, 08:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76

I have an Accent GLE purchased in June 2005. Has driven 44,000 kms till date thats arnd 13 months time.
That makes an average of 113 Kms in a day without a days rest. Are you using it for your personal use??? or is it used in the tourist sector??? Jus inquisitive
Old 27th July 2006, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
That makes an average of 113 Kms in a day without a days rest. Are you using it for your personal use??? or is it used in the tourist sector??? Jus inquisitive
Even the Hyundai service people were shocked by the way my car is cruising along. We use it both for personal as well as official purposes. My dad uses a lot for his official purposes and he was getting all the money for fuel as well as for service. Although now he has put brakes on this. Also since my father doesnt know to drive there is a driver for him.

You know how a driver will drive the car. He is not too rash but not decent either. Thats why I always say Accent is a good car. So roughly used but no issues at all. But maintaing it properly, the car doesnt look old or bad. It still looks good. I'd made the rearview mirrors, door handles and waist mouldings body colored (Noble White) free of cost from hyundai during delivery of the car. Exterior looks I agree its not that modern but isnt it better than Baleno? But for the side looks, Baleno looks better than Accent. Front and rear looks and interiors its better than Baleno.

A/c of Accent is not upto Baleno but still good. It was 95% on during the ride of 44,000 kms. And still its cooling fast. In fact I cant put the blow speed to the 2nd position and thermostat for maximum cold for more than 5-6 minutes since it becomes very chill. During very hot periods this time period increased to arnd 10-15 minutes depending on the direction of the Sun ut still it manages to get chilled quickl.

I read somewhere that Accent's A/c was tested in Thar Desert before it was launched in India.
Old 27th July 2006, 12:14   #20
BHPian

i think now you have got sugesstions , and its time you go on a test drive of the car again and see what are you liking the black n grey which are easy to maintain or the camel looks god and difficult to maintain. a better driving car or a better looking one. a more FE car or not.
if the accent and wait for the VERNA launch. and if the baleno just go ahead and get it !!!
Old 27th July 2006, 17:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
A/c of Accent is not upto Baleno but still good. .
I agree completely with you my friend . I have driven my friends Accent GVS a few times and i have to admit that the Accent has a good A/C but all i was trying to say is that the Baleno's unit is much better in terms of how quickly it manages to chill the cabin with a minute or two in Mumbai heat. The cooling efficiency of the Accent IMHO is on par with the new Esteem which is also very good.

These are my experiences with the 2 cars that i own, an Esteem Vxi 2006 and a Baleno 2006.
Old 27th July 2006, 21:20   #22
BHPian

I dont knw why every thing in Baleno is blown out of proportion.

Here is the A/C test conducted by overdrive.

Difference between Baleno's and Accent's A/c temperature is just 0.7 degrees.

@prince: Cooling of accent at par with esteem? The graph shows esteem is not ever closer.
Old 27th July 2006, 22:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster

Here is the A/C test conducted by overdrive.

Difference between Baleno's and Accent's A/c temperature is just 0.7 degrees.

@prince: Cooling of accent at par with esteem? The graph shows esteem is not ever closer.
May i know which edition of Overdrive is this??? I ask this coz the Opel Astra is placed No.2 in that list which has vanished out of production years back. It also includes cars like the Alto VX which is phased out 3 years back. Fiat Sienna ???, i think its called the Petra for some while now. BTW, i clearly mentioned the "New Esteem" coz to the best of my knowledge Maruti had upgraded the HVAC system of the Esteem in March - 05 coz my Esteem - 2001 and 2002 don't provide cooling anywhere close to my 2006 Esteem and BTW i think we all know how unbiased and correct Overdrive really is. Among auto-mags, i trust ACI the most

And anyways, i also clearly mentioned that it was my indivisual experience with the 3 cars mentioned. You don't like it, then i am afraid i can't do much about it.

Last edited by prince85 : 27th July 2006 at 23:00.
Old 27th July 2006, 23:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think its blown out of proportions. IMHO, the Accent GLE(which the thread starter has considered) is not in the Baleno league coz to the best of my knowledge real competetion for Baleno comes from the likes of NHC, Fiesta, Aveo, Accent 1.6 GLS(to an extent) and Lancer. Whereas the Accent GLE competes strongly with the Ikon Flair, Esteem Vxi and the Indigo Petrol.

Accent GLE no doubt is a wonderful car with bits of everything in it. Its a real good package.

Last edited by prince85 : 27th July 2006 at 23:08.
Old 28th July 2006, 03:02   #25
BHPian

This is the same edition after which overdrive rated Baleno's a/c higher than S-class, and Maruti uses this same piece of info in their advertisment of Baleno.

And most ppl in this forum also say Baleno's a/c is better than S-class...coz of this very info.

And for Fiat Sienna<-->Petra..I think you should be knowing that only front and rear end was modified in that car, Compressor of the AC was not changed.

And can u pls tell me the source which states that New Esteem has upgraded HVAC system?Asking coz when I sat in Brand new Esteem(TAXI) I dint feel any punch in the a/c.
There were 3 ppl in the car.
Old 28th July 2006, 08:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
This is the same edition after which overdrive rated Baleno's a/c higher than S-class, and Maruti uses this same piece of info in their advertisment of Baleno.

And most ppl in this forum also say Baleno's a/c is better than S-class...coz of this very info.

And for Fiat Sienna<-->Petra..I think you should be knowing that only front and rear end was modified in that car, Compressor of the AC was not changed.

And can u pls tell me the source which states that New Esteem has upgraded HVAC system?Asking coz when I sat in Brand new Esteem(TAXI) I dint feel any punch in the a/c.
There were 3 ppl in the car.
All i am trying to say is that the issue that the OD issue that you are referring to is very old. Yes i agree that the Baleno is leading the way as far as the A/C goes.

Look my friend, i do not have any source to show you that the Esteem HVAC has been upgraded since early 2005. I know this since when i went to buy my new Esteem, my only gripe in the old car was that the A/C was not very effective. For that, the dearlership showed me a printed copy stamped by Maruti Udyog showing that the HVAC system of the Esteem is indeed upgraded since March - 05. I found it hard to digest soo i took a test drive in their test drive car to specifically look out for the difference and i found a huge difference compared to my earlier Esteem. But as i said, i do not have that piece of document with me now and honestly i do not have the patience and time to put it up here to prove my point my friend. I would suggest you get yourself a more updated copy of the Air-Con Tests coz honestly the data you have is more than 5 years old and is now redundant.

And did you notice The Opel Astra GLD is ranked NO.2 whereas the Opel Astra Club is ranked No.7 . Whats the difference??? Just that they have different engines. But then don't the Accent GLX and GLE have different engines

BTW Comparing a Taxi car's A/C to a personally owned cars A/C is extremely wrong IMHO since as you might be knowing that i have a few cars in the tourist sector including Esteems, soo i am aware how these cars are maintained in every front.

I would personally ask you to go check out a new "Esteem preferably VXi" since thats what i have and then come and tell us your experience.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 28th July 2006 at 09:00.
Old 28th July 2006, 08:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:

How can you be soo sure that the HVAC system was untouched.??? Sometime back i had read in Bombay Times that the Palio NV came with a slightly lesser powerful air-con system compared to the earlier Palios to improve it on the FE front. Maybe the same could be carried over to the Petra as well since they are almost the same cars just that the Petra has a boot

I am trying to prove anything here. All i wanna know is that how can you be soo sure????
Old 28th July 2006, 09:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathinrao
I agree with u guys. BALENO ,has one of the most effective a/c which chills the cabin within no time.But , it chills the cabin with lot of noise which irritates. In fact, DAEWOO MATIZ had one of the finest a/c and also was silent.
You are soo right my friend, the Daewoo Matiz had a supremely silent and an effective A/C in that segment. Miss that car
Old 28th July 2006, 10:40   #29
BHPian

Today on my way to office a squirrel came running to the middle of the road. Realizing that I am not on the main road but on the connecting road to the office and the traffic being very less at 8:15 AM in the morning (with nobody following me for a long distance), I slammed on the brakes. I must have been doing approx. 30KMPH at that time. The tarmac was dirty and hence the car (Santro 2000 model with standard Bridgestone tyres) screeched to a grinding halt. The Squirrel, in confused state, froze for a second and then ran away towards the grassy area. The car must have travelled a small distance with brakes locked.

I really want to go for a car with ABS. This time it was a Squirrel, it could easily have been a child or any other animal. Moreover I had a couple of scary incidents in last 6 years of ownership (especially when driving in hills) when I missed ABS the most. When you are descending from hills and on a sharp dirty corner (with steep decline), the car tends to loose grip. The problem is accentuated when you happen to brake then. Tricky situation!!!

I really think that Esteem VXI should be available with ABS as an option. Also Baleno too does not have this vital feature. To my knowledge this safety feature is mandatory is some European countries. Even if in India Govt. pass a bill making ABS mandatory on all models then although the vehicle cost would go up a little (by 12-20K or so), I do not think the sales would go down. If somebody wants a car then he would go for it. Same as even if petrol is priced at Rs100/litre then also there would be car buyers.

Presently I am checking out Finance options available with nationalized banks. One thing is sure ... they are not enthusiastic about car loans as such. They treat you the same way as someone who has come to collect his cheque book!!!

Last edited by ms_rana : 28th July 2006 at 10:45.
Old 28th July 2006, 11:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana

I really want to go for a car with ABS. This time it was a Squirrel, it could easily have been a child or any other animal. Moreover I had a couple of scary incidents in last 6 years of ownership (especially when driving in hills) when I missed ABS the most. When you are descending from hills and on a sharp dirty corner (with steep decline), the car tends to loose grip. The problem is accentuated when you happen to brake then. Tricky situation!!!

I really think that Esteem VXI should be available with ABS as an option. Also Baleno too does not have this vital feature. To my knowledge this safety feature is mandatory is some European countries. Even if in India Govt. pass a bill making ABS mandatory on all models then although the vehicle cost would go up a little (by 12-20K or so), I do not think the sales would go down. If somebody wants a car then he would go for it. Same as even if petrol is priced at Rs100/litre then also there would be car buyers.

Presently I am checking out Finance options available with nationalized banks. One thing is sure ... they are not enthusiastic about car loans as such. They treat you the same way as someone who has come to collect his cheque book!!!
You are right, the Esteem and the Baleno do not come with ABS even as an optional feature. Thats really bad!.

The Accent GLS 1.6L does have ABS if i am right(Speeddbuster.......our Accent man can put shed more light on this )

Why dont you look at the Swift ZXI/VXI(with ABS) or the Getz GLS. Both are quality hatchbacks. I would vote for the Getz as a better overall package
Closed Thread