Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 28th July 2006, 11:49   #31
BHPian

The buyer has decided his car, no point in arguing anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
The Accent GLS 1.6L does have ABS if i am right(Speeddbuster.......our Accent man can put shed more light on this )
You check out my posts in this thread and tell me where did I say my car is better than yours?I dont need to shout again and again like B-guys do, coz sales charts speak for themselfs.
Old 28th July 2006, 11:58   #32
BHPian

Speedbuster, how is your overall Accent GLE ownership experience. It would be great if you could throw some light on the subject. Also, I read in some thread the car struggles on hills. Is it true? And what is the FE figures for you?

In my opinion the Accent GLE is better VFM than Accent GLS 1.6. The price difference does not justifies the move to a bigger engine.
Old 28th July 2006, 12:37   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, before this turns into a Baleno - Accent - Esteem war, the A/C is just one factor among others when selecting a car, but is usually not the sole factor on which a normal person would buy a car. So, as 200mph said below, let the thread creator test drive the 2 cars with his family and check out other attributes also like performance, ride, handling, comfort, looks, space, interiors, FE etc and come to a decision based on the total package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph
i think now you have got sugesstions , and its time you go on a test drive of the car again and see what are you liking the black n grey which are easy to maintain or the camel looks god and difficult to maintain. a better driving car or a better looking one. a more FE car or not. if the accent and wait for the VERNA launch. and if the baleno just go ahead and get it !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana
Speedbuster, And what is the FE figures for you?
@ms_rana, while you are at it, I would suggest you ask the dealers of both cars to give you a litre FE test (under similar conditions of traffic and time of day). We get conflicting FE figures from various sources and buyers could end up regretting their decision later. One tbhp-ian had almost finalised a deal on the Adventure (based on FE figures he got on the forum and from actual users), but reversed his decision after doing a litre FE test at the dealer which threw up really different figure. This analysis will be useful for others looking at the C-segment.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th July 2006 at 12:40.
Old 28th July 2006, 12:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Speedbuster, how is your overall Accent GLE ownership experience. It would be great if you could throw some light on the subject. Also, I read in some thread the car struggles on hills. Is it true? And what is the FE figures for you?

In my opinion the Accent GLE is better VFM than Accent GLS 1.6. The price difference does not justifies the move to a bigger engine.
Being an Accent GLE owner for the past 13 months (45,000 kms completed today) I can authentically say its a very very relaible car. Performance wise it is very much better and superior to Ikon Flair and evn the Fiesta and Aveo 1.4 models. Compared with Esteem, Accent has less initial power (0-60) but in the rest as well as 3rd and 4th gear acceleration Accent is better. Also the Esteem's suspension, body build quality and handling is not at all upto the mark and dont go along with its performance. FE wise Accent is a bit lower than Flair and a couple of kms less than Esteem. But FE depends on your driving habits, regular and proper servicing, road and traffic conditions etc. I personally has clocked 17.07 kms/l once on a long stretch highway driving which in fact is a better mileage than what Esteem claims in highway.

Maintenace cost of Accent is in fact cheaper than Esteem. For the first three free services you dont need to pay anything. The Engine Oil + Filter is free too. I'd been charged a very negligible amount of Rs. 23 (Twenty Three) each for the first 3 services. But some dealerships dont charge that too. Service quality of hyundai are excellent in majority of the dealerships.

To sum up Accent is a safe car to recommend. A very good allrounder.
Old 28th July 2006, 14:02   #35
BHPian

Missed one point. If you need an ABS in your car it can be installed in a GLE at an additional cost. Not sure how much that costs but I think the dealer quoted Rs. 25,000 to me if my memory is good.Check with your dealership.
Old 28th July 2006, 14:32   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tarmac was dirty and hence the car screeched to a grinding halt. The car must have travelled a small distance with brakes locked. I really want to go for a car with ABS.
While I appreciate your desire for safety (not just yourselves, but also of other road users), I somehow feel that this particular situation you mentioned would not have been any better with ABS. When you mention the surface as dirty, I am assuming that it was not a smooth road, but with sand/pebbles etc. This kind of road would not provide enough grip for the tyres (irrespective of whether ABS is present or not) and I doubt whether you would have been able to make a clean stop even if your car had ABS. I am not saying here that ABS is useless or something - it is definitely a good feature to have and you would be better off having it on your car. All I am saying is ABS is not a surefire remedy for all situations that you face on the road - especially like the one you mentioned.
If ABS is a must-have feature for you, the Baleno need not be considered because I don't think it is available even as an option. I read somewhere on this forum that some cars that advertise ABS as a standard/option, provide it only for one set of wheels - don't remember whether it is front or rear wheels. Just for you to keep in mind while looking at cars with ABS.

Quote:
Even if in India Govt. pass a bill making ABS mandatory on all models then although the vehicle cost would go up a little (by 12-20K or so), I do not think the sales would go down.
Why do we always need to have govt. regulations for something that is for our own benefit ? People who find value in safety will go for it anyway. Having a rule for helmets has not really made people wear it. But those that understand its benefits, do not venture out without it. Even though the numbers are less, there still are cars available with ABS - I think the Fiesta is one. Accent is another one. Check them out.

Quote:
Presently I am checking out Finance options available with nationalized banks. One thing is sure ... they are not enthusiastic about car loans as such. They treat you the same way as someone who has come to collect his cheque book!!!
Why do you even bother with them ? There are such a lot of private banks that give you great deals. Bargain with 2 or more of such banks and milk the best possible deal.
Old 28th July 2006, 16:24   #37
BHPian

ABS for one set of wheels only?!!! I never thought that this is the case. Certainly this is a big news to me. I always assumed that that ABS is either present on all four wheels or no wheels at all. There is nothing in between. Now if this is the case then I don't know what to expect. If in reality only one set of wheels are equipped with ABS then it would certainly be front wheels as they are the first to lock and loose grip.

Also, any idea when is Euro IV norms coming to India? I heard the norms are being enforced from January 2007. Is it true? If that is the case then I am sure most of the car companies are bound to tweak their engines.

Last edited by ms_rana : 28th July 2006 at 16:29.
Old 28th July 2006, 16:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Also, any idea when is Euro IV norms coming to India? I heard the norms are being enforced from January 2007. Is it true? If that is the case then I am sure most of the car companies are bound to tweak their engines.
Yes, the new Accent to be launched as per some websites will be Euro IV. I dont know about Civic. But cars which are to be launched from now on are gonna be Euro IV compliant most probably.
Old 28th July 2006, 16:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Well, my car is now 5 months old...have done only 1300km( blame it on delhi metro)

Had first service some time back, cost = NIL
FE before 1st service: ~9kmpl

FE after 1st service: 11-12kmpl( I change gears at 1500 rpm, and rip once a week maybe )

I havent taken my car to the hills, so cant comment on the that.

and regarding price difference between GLE and GLS, it comes closer to 1 lakh, which is not justified since you get only 1.6 engine, plus some minor accessories, which is why GLS hardly sells.

Overall, Accent is an all rounder car, more of family oriented you can say, plus as realiable as a Honda.
Old 28th July 2006, 17:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster
You check out my posts in this thread and tell me where did I say my car is better than yours?I dont need to shout again and again like B-guys do, coz sales charts speak for themselfs.
What was that for Mr.Speedbuster?? I asked you to just comfirm if the Accent GLS 1.6 comes with ABS or no coz the thread starter was looking out for ABS options . From that above response which you have shot in Post No.34, i guess you haven't understood the question properly or you have a serious comprehension problem. I never said my car is better than yours and anything on those lines.

And about the sales figures. Well i remembered a very famous line from our very own Navjot SIngh Sidhu. It goes like this "Statistics my friend is like Mini Skirts. What they reveal is very seductive but what they cover is very important"

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 28th July 2006 at 17:55.
Old 28th July 2006, 17:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster
The buyer has decided his car, no point in arguing anymore.
Which car is it???
Old 28th July 2006, 18:03   #42
BHPian

my bad, I mixed it up with other thread.
@ms_rana: I would advise you to follow this thread carefully
[html]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/14385-want-buy-new-car-plz-suggest.html [/html]

Last edited by speedbuster : 28th July 2006 at 18:05.
Old 28th July 2006, 18:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Compared with Esteem, Accent has less initial power (0-60) but in the rest, as well as 3rd and 4th gear acceleration Accent is better.
Correction there.
Esteem is faster than the Accent GLE in the 0-100kmph sprint as well

0-60kmph
Baleno - 4.92secs
Esteem - 5.01secs
Accent GLE - 5.23secs

0-100kmph
Baleno - 11.13secs
Esteem - 11.49secs
Accent GLE - 13.12secs

20-80kmph in 3rd gear
Baleno - 12.9secs
Esteem - 15.7secs
Accent GLE - 14.0secs

I do agree that the in gear acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear of the Accent GLE is definately better than the Esteem but is quite slower than the Baleno

Last edited by prince85 : 28th July 2006 at 18:12.
Old 29th July 2006, 12:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Correction there.
Esteem is faster than the Accent GLE in the 0-100kmph sprint as well

0-60kmph
Baleno - 4.92secs
Esteem - 5.01secs
Accent GLE - 5.23secs

0-100kmph
Baleno - 11.13secs
Esteem - 11.49secs
Accent GLE - 13.12secs

20-80kmph in 3rd gear
Baleno - 12.9secs
Esteem - 15.7secs
Accent GLE - 14.0secs

I do agree that the in gear acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear of the Accent GLE is definately better than the Esteem but is quite slower than the Baleno
Yes, you're right I wasnt quite sure with the 0-100 sprint. But that I guessis mainly due to the "less weight" factor of Esteem. Ofcourse Baleno is better and faster than Accent. Baleno I guess is a 1.6 engine and Accent GLE is a 1.5 engine. I know displacement is not the only factor but its also one of it. But still "Accent" is a better vehicle than "Esteem" overall. If you're driving single "Esteem" is a better choice.
Old 29th July 2006, 12:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Yes, you're right I wasnt quite sure with the 0-100 sprint. But that I guessis mainly due to the "less weight" factor of Esteem. Ofcourse Baleno is better and faster than Accent. Baleno I guess is a 1.6 engine and Accent GLE is a 1.5 engine. I know displacement is not the only factor but its also one of it. But still "Accent" is a better vehicle than "Esteem" overall. If you're driving single "Esteem" is a better choice.
I guess if its a question about the engine displacement of the cars then the Esteem uses a 1.3L engine compared with the Accent's 1.5L. And still it is pretty much faster to a 100kmph. But you are right engine displacement has very little to do with the cars performance But still, if we discussing the topic on Engine performance now. The Esteem has a superior engine since its a 16V compared to a 12V unit of the Accent GLE. And also the Esteem revs upto 6.5k rpm compared with the 6k rpm limit of the Accent which IMHO shows an edge in refinement of the Esteem's engine.

I am very glad that you are happy with your ride and if you feel that the Accent is a better overall car than the Esteem in your case, so be it! I respect your view.

But i feel the Esteem VXI is a slightly better proposition compared to the Accent GLE according to me.

In the end i guess its an indivisual choice coz there isn't much to choose between these 2 cars

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 29th July 2006 at 12:28.
Closed Thread