Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 24th July 2006, 10:39   #1
BHPian

Default My Next Car : Hyundai and Maruti Evaulated

Hi All,

I am looking for a replacement of my Santro and have been doing some research as to which model fits my requirement the best. My budget is around 5.5L and I have finally narrowed down Hyundai and Maruti as my next car manufacturer. Important thing is that since I have been blessed with twin sons (they are 1+ years old now), boot space is a priority.

Yesterday, along with my wife and brother, I visited Hyundai and then Maruti showrooms and checked out following models:

HYUNDAI SHOWROOM

Getz GLS : Everyone got immediately got interested in Getz. Nice big feel about that car. The important thing is that it gives you sense of solid feel that is perhaps even better than Accent. The doors close with a distinct thud sound. The dash and driver controls are good. The seats felt comfortable with decent leg room. The car is airy and with lot of glass area. Certainly won't feel claustrophobic. We all agreed on the car. But then I told my family that the new version of Getz is around the corner and one may expect it in the market in next couple of months. So, we have decided to hold our decision till that model in out and evaluate other models meantime.

Accent GLE
: The exterior of the car is nothing much to write home about. The same design which we have been seeing for years on Indian roads. But yes .. the clear lamps (front and rear) do liven up things a bit. The interiors are something to be impressed with. Nice neat instrument console. Good beige upholstery. You can feel a kind of luxury in the car. The roof itself is thorughly padded ... nice controls. For the price, it is certainly is a lot of car. As far as mileage is concerned I think there is not much difference between Getz and Accent so its OK with me. I did not take test drive as I wanted to evaluate certain other models first.

MARUTI SHOWROOM

Esteem VXI : No matter from what angle you look at the car, the flimsy built quality is evident. But I thought that outside feel may be a bit misleading so I checked on interiors. What really put me off was the boot release lever and fuel flap opener. Man ... for a vehicle that costs in excess of 5 lakhs, those are very poor in quality and operation. My 6 years old Santro has better levers!!! Once I opened the boot, I could see the examples of shoddy work. A couple of loosely arranged wires hung from the opened boot lid. Certainly not pleasing. Next the white solid paste like thing or something (which might be used to seal the welding joints) was all smeared on place where boot lid shut lines (where boot lid sits). It was not on just some small area but was spread across that lining. Very poor. The front indicator lights were not properly fit was were not in sync with front bumper. There was definitely some gap which should not have been there. My wife had already expressed her unhappiness over low seating of Esteem and with these glaring quality issues, there was no way I could opt for Esteem.

Baleno VXI : I had been reading a lot about Baleno and was really interested in LXI version. So next I searched for it. Found out that the showroom has only VXI on display. So tried that. From exterior the car looks OK. Nothing great. Infact the LXI version without spoiler is somewhat hard to digest. The interiors are all grey ... dominated by plastics. It certainly does not look like a VFM proposition. The car has a great engine .... agreed ... but how would you convince people who are non-drivers and mostly spend their time in back seat? The interiors are lack lusture and does not appeal. I strongly sense that Maruti is no longer interested in improving Baleno anymore. They might drop its price to push the sales but nothing sustantial to evolve it further. The accent in comparision makes a strong case of itself.

Swift VXI : A lot has been written about Swift so don't know if I would be able to add something new. The car is one of the better products of Maruti. The build quality is definitely a generation ahead of Esteem. The good thing is that you have the option of ABS. My Santro is does not have it and missed ABS on a couple of occassions. I have made it a point that I would have ABS (if available) on my next car. But then the boot space is similar to Santro. Nothing better. The worst thing that my wife complained about was the less glass area in rear. Gives you a feeling that you are in a cell. Also the legroom is OK ... nothing special. Overall Getz is definitely better put together. The overall quality and built feel is not comparable to Getz.

Finance option : Interest Rates
The interest rates were ranging from 12.x% for Citibank and 13.x% for ICICI (for both Hyundai & Maruti). Interestingly I had received a call a couple of days back from Citibank that they would provide car finance at 10% reducing. And if I had an account with them then it could have been 8.5% or so!!! Apparently it always pays to check finance options directly with the bank instead of the finance personnel at showroom. Whenever the time is right, I am planning to check SBI option. Their interest rate is at daily reducing. I am sure I would get a <10% deal there. My brother got his bike(Avenger) financed from ICICI and had a horrible experience. They lost one post dated cheque at their end and they started calling him for due payment. When they were explained the situation and told the collect the amount, they had the audacity to add late fee to that!!! After much hassle things are sorted out but left a bad taste in our mouth. The height is that once the payment had been made a few days later a guy visited my brother to collect the amount. He was duly shown the receipt and was coldly told that if this harrasment does not stop then we would be forced to move to the consumer court. Pathetic service indeed

A couple of my friends too faced similar problem with ICICI regarding their personal loans. I have vowed, never to deal with ICICI again. They might be OK for salary account but for other services Citibank and others are much better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, it has been decided to go for either Getz or Accent. This debate is still going hot in the family ... and you guys must be knowing how hard it is to be unanmious

With Accent the problem I see is that once Verna is in market (which would happen soon), they might cut Accent price. Hyundai have done it in past and I really don't want to regret on this front

Whatever happens will keep you guys posted ...

Bye

Last edited by adya33 : 25th July 2006 at 13:49.
Old 24th July 2006, 11:22   #2
BHPian

hey dude surely check out SBI for the INNOVA i got sometime back there was a difference of some 35 k on the same amount of loan compared to ICICI. though the SBI people are lazy and slow at work comapred to ICICI am sure waiting a week more and saving a bit no one would mind. and dude if you want boot space and a great drive i would suggest you the BALENO i.e when u dont mind its looks.

Last edited by 200mph : 24th July 2006 at 11:27.
Old 24th July 2006, 12:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi ms rana, Nice report on your experience so far. If you dont need a boot, I would recommend choosing between the Getz and the Swift. Both are far superior to the now outdated accent.

Butttttttttttt you can also wait for the new Accent to be launched.

GTO
Old 24th July 2006, 12:42   #4
BHPian

Sounds like you've already done your research - can see you want the Getz, but like the Accent's boot. Go for the Getz , I say this as a Swift owner. It's the better family car of the two - the Swift is better if you dont have rear seat passengers.

Forget about the boot - loading the boot is a pain most of the time. You'd probably never use a Getz's boot to full capacity
Old 24th July 2006, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Also have a look at Icon Flair and Fiat Petra. Both of them have good build quality, with in your budget and have trunk.
Old 24th July 2006, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Rana, please please please wait for the new Accent. It's a good car indeed. Wheelbase of 2500 mm is the best in the segment even greater than the Honda City's 2450 mm. Lots of interior space and overall a very good car.

Pricing, not much idea of that. Certain sources say Accent GLE will be continued in production. Some others say it will be discontinued.

But I order you to wait for it...............................

Last edited by adarsh76 : 24th July 2006 at 16:48.
Old 24th July 2006, 17:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Please help the thread starter by giving most relevant information. Before submitting your suggestions, please check whether your suggestions addresses any of the requestor's criteria.

The new Accent aka Verna will be priced in the range of Aveo & Fiesta (More than Rana's budget). So the existing Accent will continue in the lower pricing.

Chech other relevant threads about Hyundai Verna.
Old 24th July 2006, 19:53   #8
BHPian

Hi All,

I am really delighted by the enthusiatic responses

200mph: I am planning to check finance options with SBI and with other national bank with whom I am having an account. I am hopeful of getting a reasonable offer. Atleast I would not be as bad as ICICI (I hope so). I may try pushing Baleno but then you know ... you cannot argue with Home Ministry (my wife).

GTO: I have my eyes set on Getz (importantly with full backing of my family). Waiting for arrival of New Getz or Verna ... let's see how things turn out.

Ballkey: Having twins has drastically changed my requirement parameters. I recently dropped my wife and kids to my in-laws in Nainital to outlive summers there. Believe me ... the kind of luggage that I had to carry was un-believeable!!! Everything was important and could not be left behind. I think I must have made some sort of record for carrying so much stuff in a Santro. Everything was brimming ... all sorts of bags and things were overflowing in boot and on half of the rear seat ... that too upto the driver's seat. Even stuff was stuffed under front seats. It was resembling TATA 407 in a way

jathinrao: As I said ... Swift is one of the better products from the Maruti stable. But then I can wait for new Getz so that I may make good choice. The new Getz is likely to be available with 1.4L 94Bhp engine (this is what is on offer abroad). So, I have held my horses for the time being. Meanwhile will focus my time on getting more info on finance options from nationalized banks.

satish_appasani: Fiat has brought great vehicles in Indian market but their after sales service is still to improve. If there is just 10% likelihood of having a bad experience, I would rather not opt for it. Once I had a small rear brake cylinder leakage in my Santro and the A.S.S guys changed it. But I was not satisfied as when I used to engage hand brake and later release it, the brakes shoes would tend to lock the rear wheel and finally after struggling under engine power release it with loud thud. So brought to the same A.S.S for rectification. They checked it but then again there was some problem I was furious and went back to them. This time I was told that it is a bit late and you have to come tomorrow. I immediately asked for a customer feedback form and started filling it. There was a small commotion and service people appear from nowhere and immediately took vehicle for inspection. I wrote a strong feedback. Finally the problem was fixed. Some days later I received a call from the workshop enquiring about my satisfaction and then call from their customer care supervisor. Later on got a call from Hyundai office. And also an email from Hyundai regretting the sad incident. Now this certainly impressed me and is one of the strongest reasons why I prefer Hyundai.

adarsh76 & satish_appasani: I myself is waiting for Verna though I suspect that it may not suit my budget but then it may force Hyundai to reposition the existing Accent. This would give me some more playing ground. You never know what may happen. And since the unveiling of the new model is not far off I am keeping strings of my purse tight ... for the right moment. I might be proven wrong but then I won't regret it.

Thanks to all

Last edited by adya33 : 25th July 2006 at 13:49.
Old 25th July 2006, 09:52   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

MS Rana

The Getz CRDi is just around the corner. In case your running is a lot, this might be worth the wait.

GTO
Old 25th July 2006, 10:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even Swift Diesel will be out by end of year... Swift, Indica, Aveo hatch will soon sport FIAT multijet diesel engine... This is the award winning engine... . FIAT will also give multijet treatment to their Palio and coming Punto... So year end will be a good time for buying the car.... You will ve lots of choices in Diesel category..
Old 25th July 2006, 11:42   #11
BHPian

Yesterday evening, while returning from office, I picked up the latest edition of AutoCarIndia. It carried an article on the Hyundai's future gameplan. And frankly it really forced me to review my plan of getting latest Getz. It states that Hyundai India Head has denied rumours that current Accent will not be phased out once the Verna is in market. They will continue to sell the current version with existing alpha engine (3 valve 94Bhp 1.5L petrol). But the Verna itself would be available by December 2006. Also the new look Getz (along with diesel version) will be available by 2007 end (Bad news for me). Similarly the new Santro can be expected by 2007 end. My personal experience is the actual date of availability of any new model is always a couple of months after the originally predicted date of release. My strong opinion is that the above mentioned dates must be taken with a pinch of salt.

After this latest news I am most likely not going for the Getz altogether as the family consensus has shifted in favour of having a proper sedan. Moreover Getz is not known for good mileage. And since my brother (who is younger to me) is in habit of frequent joy rides and logically mileage is one his concern; apart from zippy performance which needless to say goes well with his age (mid-twenties).

I was looking for articles on Accent and other feedbacks and ownership experiences to gauge how good it actually is. It seems that Baleno still beats Accent on nearly all fronts except quality of interiors. The accent also seems to suffer from some suspension related issues after 2-3 years or so.

Now I am actually in process of evaluating Baleno AGAIN as a strong contender ... quite seriously. The mammoth task is actually to get nod from the family and this is going to be tough and a bit time consuming. I have one concern though ... is ground clearance of Baleno really poor? I know all fully loaded sedans get closer to tarmac but within limits everything goes. Is it a bit of an issue with Baleno? I read in some thread on team-bhp that something is put in suspension (rubber pads or something - not sure) to raise the cars height a few mms. Is it true?

Also I am not sure about the cost of spare parts. Especially when I read somewhere the headlight (2006 post budget model) alone costs close to 11500/- or so!!! Even with insurance, I have to ensure that the maintenance is not sky high and it does not burn a hole in my pocket.

Finally imagine everyone agrees in the family, then is Baleno LXI the right choice or VXI is better? Cost would certainly be a factor but then it is always better to have a few words of advise before making the final move.

Thanks to All ...

Last edited by ms_rana : 25th July 2006 at 11:48.
Old 25th July 2006, 12:20   #12
BHPian

The way people have to struggle in selecting new cars is really a mammoth task and car companies are not releasing perfect models for maintaining proper sales balance for their other models as well so that somebody or the other has to forego something and realign his priorities and select one product. That way it increases the probability of more models being sold for one car company.

It is not easy to arrive at a decision, however the below post by myself may serve to help in decision making :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...tml#post243145
Old 25th July 2006, 12:26   #13
DRC
BHPian

We here in t-bhp seem to be sooo enthusiastic about driving it hard. However, ms rana's requirement list clearly outline what is expected out of a family. A man with 2 kids certainly has to make room for a twin pram cart . So a boot is a must.

I believe, It is worth waiting for the new Accent/verna. They have to be an attracive package to compete. Hyundai is quite aggrssive in competition and I am sure would price their product well. Also, Verna is likely to come in CRDi flavor, which would be a killer. If you can stretch the budget a bit, you got best of the both worlds. wat say
Old 25th July 2006, 15:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana
Yesterday evening, while returning from office, I picked up the latest edition of AutoCarIndia. It carried an article on the Hyundai's future gameplan. .................................................. ....

Finally imagine everyone agrees in the family, then is Baleno LXI the right choice or VXI is better? Cost would certainly be a factor but then it is always better to have a few words of advise before making the final move.

Thanks to All ...
Suspension issues in accent. May be thats for the CRDi. With such a powerful engine, the suspension may not be adequate for it. Havent heard much about the suspension issues in the Petrol engines.

I have an Accent GLE purchased in June 2005. Has driven 44,000 kms till date thats arnd 13 months time. But there has been no problems or any indication of the problem related to suspension. You can guess how roughly it was used. Also I know people using Accent for over 3 years without any problems of this kind.

Yes, indeed the Baleno is better than Accent. But since a new and much better Accent is due to be launched you should wait for it. The new Accent can very well be a Baleno beater.

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: Kindly avoid quoting whole post.

Last edited by adya33 : 27th July 2006 at 22:55.
Old 25th July 2006, 19:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Moreover Getz is not known for good mileage.
My friend's Getz returns 10 and 14 kmpl respectively in city and highways - both figures are with AC on always.

Quote:
I was looking for articles on Accent and other feedbacks and ownership experiences to gauge how good it actually is. It seems that Baleno still beats Accent on nearly all fronts except quality of interiors.
The Accent is a pretty good car. A colleague bought his Accent around the same time I got my Baleno and we both are happy with our cars. One concern he mentioned was FE, which is on the same lines as the Getz. The interiors of the Accent comes in beige, which looks pretty good and was one reason for his choosing it over the Baleno. But downside is that it becomes dirty easily (both his passengers and the service guys have contributed to dirty it) and is more visible.

Quote:
is ground clearance of Baleno really poor? I know all fully loaded sedans get closer to tarmac but within limits everything goes. Is it a bit of an issue with Baleno? I read in some thread on team-bhp that something is put in suspension (rubber pads or something - not sure) to raise the cars height a few mms. Is it true?
The ground clearance of the Baleno is pretty adequate and pretty much same as other sedans in its class. And like other sedans (have read here about the City), the bottom (usually the bent-down exhaust pipe) scrapes speedbreakers if you have 4-5 people inside and take the breaker without slowing down. Way out is to either take the speedbreaker at a 45deg angle or go over it slowly. Modifying the suspension is IMO not advisable as it could lead to other issues.

Quote:
Also I am not sure about the cost of spare parts. Especially when I read somewhere the headlight (2006 post budget model) alone costs close to 11500/- or so!!! Even with insurance, I have to ensure that the maintenance is not sky high and it does not burn a hole in my pocket.
As per a survey done by an auto-mag in end-last year, Baleno is one of the cheapest cars to maintain in its segment. Some cosmetic parts, which are imported from Japan (SGA) are expensive. These include foglamps, headlights etc.

Quote:
With the climate control available only in the Vxi, it is definitely a good option. But then, it depends on the person. I preferred the Lxi, and there are others that took the Vxi. There is even a thread on this topic.
Closed Thread