Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Hyundai Elite i20 181 42.39%
Maruti Swift 33 7.73%
VW Polo 137 32.08%
Toyota Etios Liva 5 1.17%
Fiat Punto Evo 63 14.75%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 1 0.23%
Tata Vista 7 1.64%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 20:27   #76
BHPian
 
ToyotaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 358
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have just prebooked a Honda Jazz V CVT version. Launch is on 8th July. I hope I can get delivery of my car immediately after launch. The Jazz is the only appealing automatic option in this segment.
What was the amount you paid for the same? Which dealership did you book at? And what was the timeline that you were told to expect your car in.
ToyotaFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 20:36   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 69
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

How about the performance of i20 P when compared to say- Swift P, Polo P or Jazz? I've test driven Swift and i20, couldn't find much of a difference with speeds up to 80kmph. Does the i20 performance deteriorate? No idea about Polo and Jazz. Any advice on the performance front?

Need a car which has good performance is moderately spacious in the back + the boot. 70% City 30% Highway. Budget upper limit 7.5 Lacs on road.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 02:14   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,020
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Swift is horrible for back seat, pathetically small rear door windows and smallest boot among cars even segments below.

I20 is fresh, best interiors, accelerates reasonably, while not as spiritedly like a Swift but not ultra slouch either.

Polo, please avoid. The 1.2 liter is one bad engine especially when compared to competition.

Jazz, well if you need so much space, worth an option.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 04:43   #79
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Swift is horrible for back seat, pathetically small rear door windows and smallest boot among cars even segments below.
Hi Dipen,
If I'm in the market for a premium hatchback with automatic transmission, is there any other car worth considering besides Jazz CVT?

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2015 at 07:34. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post; Formatted post
sunitkaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:46   #80
BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore / Coc
Posts: 703
Thanked: 1,216 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunitkaul View Post
Hi Dipen,
If I'm in the market for a premium hatchback with automatic transmission, is there any other car worth considering besides Jazz CVT?
The Polo GT TSI. I am waiting for the Jazz CVT to be launched before deciding between the two.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:08   #81
CPJ
BHPian
 
CPJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 80
Thanked: 47 Times
Question Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Hi Guys,
I'm planning to buy a premium hatchback and really confused between the Polo Highline 1.5 Tdi and Elite i20 Asta Crdi. Jazz is out of the race due to various reasons.
My Main requirements are:
  1. Diesel with decent fuel economy.
  2. Safety with Airbags and ABS.
  3. Fun to drive.
  4. Reliability and hassle free ownership experience.
  5. Planning to keep the car for atleast 5 years so resale value is not that important.
  6. The car would be mostly driven in city (50 Km/day)and occasional highway trips.
  7. Budget Max 9.5 lakhs OTR Pune. Can be stretched a little bit if required.

Now I have test driven both the elite i20 Crdi and Polo 1.5 Tdi.

The elite i20 has great quality interiors, stunning looks and comes loaded with features. The Crdi engine is super silent and quite refined but there is turbo lag and it becomes more so evident in city driving. However once it crosses 2000 rpm the car is a hoot to drive.The steering although better but still feels a little light for my liking.

On the other hand The Polo 1.5 Tdi has negligible turbo lag and the handling of the car is awesome. It does lack quite a lot of features as compared to elite i20 but does make up on the solid build quality and safety features.I thought of GT Tdi as well but it is close to 80,000 thousand expensive than the regular Tdi and expect for the additional 15 bhp & all black interiors, everything is identical to 1.5 Highline Tdi. Also no where I felt the regular Tdi to be underpowered.

Now comes the confusion part. I'm getting the Polo Highline 1.5 TDi after discounts for around 8,65,000/- OTR Pune inclusive of extended warranty (2+2) while the i20 elite Asta Crdi comes out to about 9,65,000 OTR inclusive of 3rd year extended warranty with no discounts what so ever.

I'm really confused as both the vehicles meet my requirement and I like them equally and hence can not decide between the two.One more thing regarding the after sales service, the Volkswagen dealer B U Bhandari has good reputation in Pune or that's what I have heard.

Need you inputs urgently guys
CPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 11:34   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,148
Thanked: 7,427 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
Team need your help urgently as I would be booking the car by weekend

Thanks.
One among these must be appealing to your heart more than the other. If it is totally equal and you have no preference, it would make sense to go for the cheaper one. Used the saved money for some mods later on.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 11:36   #83
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 423
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
Team need your help urgently as I would be booking the car by weekend. Thanks.
Hey there!

We recently bought a Hyundai elite i20 Asta CRDi, and you can find my initial ownership thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...asta-crdi.html (Fooled around & fell in love! Our Polar White Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi)

Going by the reviews & ownership threads of the Polo & the i20, I can summarize the following:

Positives for the i20:
+Great Interiors.
+Asta variant loaded with creature comforts.
+Very refined diesel.
+Excellent highway cruiser.
+Hyundai's fuss free ownership & maintenance.
+Good fuel economy.

Negatives for the i20:
-Not an enthusiasts car.
-Some common features such as Instantaneous fuel efficiency, Distance to Empty indicators, Auto-locking doors are missing.
-All creature comforts only available on the Asta variant, which is quite pricey.

Positives for the Polo:
+German build quality.
+Excellent handling & ride.
+Much more fun to drive.
+Classy timeless looks.
+Negligible turbo lag.
+Cheaper than the i20 CRDi Asta.

Negatives for the Polo:
-VW's service can be a hit or a miss.
-Lacks creature comforts when compared with the i20.

Considering your requirements, which does include the "Fun-to-Drive" factor, I'd recommend the Polo.

It is cheaper than the i20, much more fun to drive, and should fulfill all your requirements.

After sales & service for VW in India is always a bit dependent on luck.

Some people have had awesome experiences with VW, while some have had really bad ones.

That being said, Hyundai has also had some bad repute for including all kinds of crap in their general service, which is really not needed.

Also, Hyundai's service is not really cheap. There are plenty of threads on Team-Bhp about the same topic. I'm sure you can search for them.

So putting 2 & 2 together, I'd recommend the Polo for you.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 16th July 2015 at 11:38.
sourav9385 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 11:45   #84
anb
BHPian
 
anb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TRIVANDRUM
Posts: 255
Thanked: 115 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post

Now comes the confusion part. I'm getting the Polo Highline 1.5 TDi after discounts for around 8,65,000/- OTR Pune inclusive of extended warranty (2+2) while the i20 elite Asta Crdi comes out to about 9,65,000 OTR inclusive of 3rd year extended warranty with no discounts what so ever.
Since you want a fun to drive car, I'd suggest Polo TDI. You can add after market accessories like auto wiper/lights,power folding mirrors, touchscreen navigation etc. for the extra 1 lakh to make it more feature rich than i20 as well.

Last edited by anb : 16th July 2015 at 11:47.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 12:46   #85
CPJ
BHPian
 
CPJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 80
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
One among these must be appealing to your heart more than the other. If it is totally equal and you have no preference, it would make sense to go for the cheaper one. Used the saved money for some mods later on.
Thanks Rajeevraj,
Actually, Its the fun to drive factor which is pulling me towards VW Polo TDI and on the other hand Hyundai's supposedly better After Sales Service which is pulling me towards i20 elite. At the end of day nobody wants to put up with a non reliable vehicle.Hence the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Considering your requirements, which does include the "Fun-to-Drive" factor, I'd recommend the Polo.

It is cheaper than the i20, much more fun to drive, and should fulfill all your requirements.

After sales & service for VW in India is always a bit dependent on luck.

So putting 2 & 2 together, I'd recommend the Polo for you.
First of all congrats Sourav for your elite i20 Asta CRDI and your ownership thread is truly awesome with the Mind and Heart dilemma.

Coming back to the discussion thanks for highlighting the positives and negatives of both the cars. To be very honest my heart is set on VW Polo TDI but the VW horror stories make me choose i20 elite. However the VW dealer for Pune, B U Bhandari has quite a good reputation when it comes to after sales service.
So to conclude my dilemma:
Heart: Go for Polo TDI.
Mind: elite i20 Asta CRDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Since you want a fun to drive car, I'd suggest Polo TDI. You can add after market accessories like auto wiper/lights,power folding mirrors, touchscreen navigation etc. for the extra 1 lakh to make it more feature rich than i20 as well.
Thanks anb,
As mentioned earlier my heart is set on POLO TDI and indeed some of the missing accessories can be added as per requirement.

Thanks again for your input guys
CPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 13:28   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,148
Thanked: 7,427 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
Thanks Rajeevraj,
So to conclude my dilemma:
Heart: Go for Polo TDI.
Mind: elite i20 Asta CRDI.

Thanks again for your input guys
In my view, always go for what the heart says as long as it is not unreasonable-Which in your case it is not.

Problem with a mind purchase is that everytime you drive, you will constantly be thinking about not going for what the heart wanted.

On the other hand, you will regret a heart decision only when you face issues or problems, which may not happen at all.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 14:09   #87
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 423
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
First of all congrats Sourav for your elite i20 Asta CRDI and your ownership thread is truly awesome with the Mind and Heart dilemma.

Coming back to the discussion thanks for highlighting the positives and negatives of both the cars. To be very honest my heart is set on VW Polo TDI but the VW horror stories make me choose i20 elite. However the VW dealer for Pune, B U Bhandari has quite a good reputation when it comes to after sales service.
So to conclude my dilemma:
Heart: Go for Polo TDI.
Mind: elite i20 Asta CRDI.
Thanks mate!

You shouldn't go wrong with the Polo TDi.

Considering it isn't the GT-TSI you're interested in, I think it's safe to say that the normal regular polo is fairly reliable.

So, worst case scenario, you can even look at an FNG to take care of the car once it is out of warranty.

That being said, since you are confident that the VW dealer in Pune is of good repute, I'd say that's a positive thing.

Go with your heart, mate. It's always great to be listen to your heart.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 15:04   #88
CPJ
BHPian
 
CPJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 80
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
In my view, always go for what the heart says as long as it is not unreasonable-Which in your case it is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Go with your heart, mate. It's always great to be listen to your heart.
Thanks Guys for helping out.
I would be taking one final test drive of VW Polo TDi this weekend and would update you soon.

Thanks and Drive Safe!
CPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 21:33   #89
BHPian
 
Astonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 144
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey there!

We recently bought a Hyundai elite i20 Asta CRDi, and you can find my initial ownership thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...asta-crdi.html (Fooled around & fell in love! Our Polar White Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi)

Going by the reviews & ownership threads of the Polo & the i20, I can summarize the following....................
Hi,
This post clears most of my doubts. I'm looking for a hatchback with 9L OTR and my options now are Polo 1.5 TDI HL, Elite i20 Asta CRDI, Figo Titanium TDCi and Swift ZDI.

Keeping my mind that I hada Swift VXI for over 5 years Polo Petrol HL earlier (sold it as my running was way too much for a petrol car about 35K kms in a year) and had an excellent A.S.S, I'm not sure which one to go for.
Astonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 22:49   #90
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 423
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Hi,
This post clears most of my doubts. I'm looking for a hatchback with 9L OTR and my options now are Polo 1.5 TDI HL, Elite i20 Asta CRDI, Figo Titanium TDCi and Swift ZDI.

Keeping my mind that I hada Swift VXI for over 5 years Polo Petrol HL earlier (sold it as my running was way too much for a petrol car about 35K kms in a year) and had an excellent A.S.S, I'm not sure which one to go for.
Mate, considering your budget is 9L OTR, you can rule out the i20 in the Asta trim. As of right now, with the price hikes and stuff, the Elite i20 Asta CRDi costs north of 9.5L on road.

Why don't you try the Figo? It's well made, good to drive and wont cost 9L OTR. The Swift is too old, and you've already had a Polo before.
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Bolt vs other B2-segment Hatchbacks a4anurag Hatchbacks 13 13th March 2015 22:55
The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison! RavenAvi Hatchbacks 1012 25th October 2014 14:13
Elite Forum, Elite Feeling xydon Introduce yourself 4 8th June 2012 19:31
"Segment First" features in Hatchbacks p'arth The Indian Car Scene 75 3rd July 2010 15:43
Navratna:The definitive comparision of B segment petrol hatchbacks (1.2, 1.3, 1.4) sidindica Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 109 22nd September 2009 23:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks