Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 28th October 2016, 16:15   #331
BHPian

Default Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Friends,
Here’s a brief background

We are 4 adults and 2 children in the family. Myself, Spouse, my parents and 2 kids (daughter 6 years & son 3 years old). Within city travels are all together. Highway travels are almost always limited to 4 people.

Needs
- Monthly running – Hardly 200-300 kms. Would see highways twice or thrice a year max. Hence a Petrol. But I am tempted towards diesels since all the 1.2L engines out there are puny.
- Safety features – should have Airbags (ABS would be good to have but not compulsory).
- Decent boot space, though we were able to manage with Swifts boot as well on a trip a year back.
- Neutral handling – I expect at least neutral after being used to the Palio on highways.

Constraints
- Has to be a NEW car. Entire family (except me) unanimously put this condition in front of me. Enough of used cars – take your time and buy whatever you want. But this time, it should be a NEW car. So lateral upgrade is out of the window.
- Budget of a max 7L ( this is already stretched by a lakh to bring the Aspire titanium into contention).
- Should be spacious for 5

Cars I have already owned

1999 Santro Xing – My first car. Bought used in 2005, 3 years and 35k kms later sold off in 2008. Served me well. Did a lot of Pune-Mumbai-Pune runs in this.

2002 Palio 1.6 GTX – My current ride. Bought used in 2008, replacing my Santro. Bought when the ODO was at 15,3XX and after 8 years, currently stands at 49k.

Since the last 3 years the car is not being used much on highways. An occasional Mumbai trip and a couple of trips to Lonavala. Reason being, I no longer feel confident enough to take my family in it on highways due to its age.

Few months back the clutch gave way and the slave cylinder was replaced. Battery replaced couple of months back. So even though there haven’t been any major expenses, these 4-5k expenses keep coming in every 3-4 months, even though the car is mainly used within city only and mostly during weekends for shopping/visiting relatives and at times to drop kids to school.

I had been delaying the purchase since a couple of years, for these reasons
1. Financial constraints
2. The resale value the GTX
3. The boom of self drive rentals.

A recent trip to Goa was done in flight, and what a boring and tiring experience it was. A Pune-Goa-Pune direct flight and it still takes 5-6 hours to reach (2 hours early check in, 1-1.5 hour flight, a little more than an hour taxi drive from Goa airport to the hotel). This made me realise that I seriously need a new car now. Do not want to delay it further.

One car that fits the bill to the T is the Ertiga, but at 8.6L for the VXI, it is way beyond my already stretched budget.

Smartcat brilliantly summed up how a Bhpian usually ends up buying a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I guess there is a 3rd method of buying a car -
1) Start with a budget of Rs. X
2) Check out all cars between Rs. X and Rs. 2X
3) Eventually book something that costs Rs. 3X
This is not the approach that I will even remotely consider.

So here is what I have already shortlisted
1. Figo twins – twins because I was considering the Figo but with the recent price cut the Aspire is merely 35k away from its equivalent Figo sibling. I can surely use that extra boot space. And the Figo Trend diesel with OTR around 7 sounds good too, if I have to do away with that 1.2L petrol.
2. Etios Liva (G variant) – though it is light years behind in terms of interiors, it is very spacious, and has a tested 4 star NCAP rating. The facelift has increased the prices between 25-50k and at 6.60L on road, the pricing is premium hatch segment, the car, not so much.
3. Bolt – I like the look of this car, but I am sceptical of the product in itself. It is kept as a last option, and if the dealership shaves off a lakh in discounts. Currently they are least bothered to sell the bolt. They only want to sell the Zest, which I did not quite like it.

Not considered as of now

1. No Swift/Baleno – Lately have started disliking the looks. I also considered the Baleno from the practical point of view, but then realised I can get the Figo Trend diesel for almost the same amount as Delta minus the waiting. The swift is a decent bet but that abysmal NCAP rating has really put my mind off it.

2. No Fiat / Chevrolet – Do not want another beast which depreciates to nothing at the time of resale. Also, the Fiat A.S.S. is way outside my city. At least 30 kms from where I stay. And also for this reason http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4070123 (Fiat's India strategy revealed)

3. Polo/Ameo – That back seat space will not make the cut for me.

Another problem: thanks to the policies of our government, all that is left to choose for Petrol car buyers is the 1.2 litre engines, and they are all boring on the highway, except maybe the Maruti engines.

So please, friends, help me widen the dilemma. In this so called “buyers spoilt for choices” market & segment, I somehow do not have much choices.

Whichever car I buy, it will most definitely be with me for a minimum of 5-7 years.

I would like to buy it in the next 2 months.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th October 2016 at 16:20.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 16:36   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
We are 4 adults and 2 children in the family. Myself, Spouse, my parents and 2 kids (daughter 6 years & son 3 years old). Within city travels are all together. Highway travels are almost always limited to 4 people.
I'm guessing that when you are travelling in the city, the little ones sit on the lap. Dangerous in the front seat of an airbag equipped car. Also, what will you do after 5 years, when kids grow up?

I'm afraid the only right choice is Ertiga. Anything else is a compromise for your family. If budget is a constraint, go for LXi (O) which has an on-road price of Rs. 8.5 Lacs in Bangalore. Power windows is the only feature from VXi that you cannot add later.

If you can't live with manual windows, you should use your veto powers and go for pre-owned Ertiga Zxi. Explain the kids growing up logic and they will understand.

Last edited by smartcat : 28th October 2016 at 16:41.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 17:09   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm guessing that when you are travelling in the city, the little ones sit on the lap. Dangerous in the front seat of an airbag equipped car. Also, what will you do after 5 years, when kids grow up?
The kids with their mother sit at the back seat, since there is always a fight between them for who will sit with mom. Hence all 3 sit at the back, within city as well as highways.

LXI(O) has lots of missing things. Lets say, there are no features in this version. And it still is 7.80 OTR Pune.
My 14 year old Palio has more features than LXI(O) like Power Windows, rear wiper, etc.
Don't want to buy a car devoid of any features, and use it for 5-7 years.

Of course a lot of things can be added, starting with the Music system, but then that is not possible when the budget is overshot.

EDIT:
Quote:
you should use your veto powers and go for pre-owned Ertiga Zxi.
Even if I do manage to convince my family to go for pre-owned, buying a used Maruti never makes sense.
For the prices that these sell in the market, it always feels better to add a little more and buy new.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th October 2016 at 17:19.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 18:01   #334
BHPian

Quote:

We are 4 adults and 2 children in the family.
Hence a Petrol. But I am tempted towards diesels since all the 1.2L engines out there are puny.
Safety features – should have Airbags (ABS would be good to have but not compulsory).
Neutral handling – I expect at least neutral after being used to the Palio on highways.

Has to be a NEW car.
Budget of a max 7L
Should be spacious for 5
ZEST petrol has massive discounts and the additional Boot is always welcome compared to BOLT.
In 7 lakhs you might able to get a Top variant in Petrol XT trim.

Other car which comes to my Mind is KUV100, agreed it looks ugly, but it has the space that you are looking for and you can fit in a diesel variant under 7 lacs I assume.

TUV 300 lower variants if it fits your budget is also a good buy.
Even though you don't like the looks, Baleno Sigma/Delta makes a strong case since both will come under 7lacs on road and fits all your requirements. The waiting period thing is blown up, you usually get one delivered in 2-3 months.

From Second hand cars - a Petrol Ertiga should be a good one to think about since it will have lesser resale value compared to Diesel.

Last edited by silverado : 28th October 2016 at 18:07.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 19:44   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
Here’s a brief background
Needs
- Monthly running – Hardly 200-300 kms. Would see highways twice or thrice a year max. Hence a Petrol. But I am tempted towards diesels since all the 1.2L engines out there are puny.
- Safety features – should have Airbags (ABS would be good to have but not compulsory).
- Decent boot space, though we were able to manage with Swifts boot as well on a trip a year back.
- Neutral handling – I expect at least neutral after being used to the Palio on highways.

Constraints
- Has to be a NEW car. Entire family (except me) unanimously put this condition in front of me. Enough of used cars – take your time and buy whatever you want. But this time, it should be a NEW car. So lateral upgrade is out of the window.
- Budget of a max 7L ( this is already stretched by a lakh to bring the Aspire titanium into contention).
Owner of Zest Petrol (XMS) here. Bought it in Feb-2016. I have highlighted in bold in your requirements which exactly were my requirements back in Feb. I can tell you confidently that Zest-XMS or (if discounts permitting) XT will be a great choice for you. Bolt does come with same interior space as Zest and lots of discounts - but it has a puny 200 odd liter boot space.
Add to that the wonderful ICE system from Harman
If you wish to have more performance on the highway, you can always use the Sport mode and see the engine transform into a beast unlike other 1.2l petrol engines.
I got my XMS in Bangalore (highest Road tax in India) at 7.00 lakhs OTR (including floor mats, mud flaps, reverse parking sensors, art leather seat covers). Hope this helps.

PS: Most of my trips are with entire family of 4 adults and 1 child. Never had anyone complaining lack of space - above head or between front and rear seats.
srvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 21:17   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Constraints

One car that fits the bill to the T is the Ertiga, but at 8.6L for the VXI, it is way beyond my already stretched budget.

So please, friends, help me widen the dilemma. In this so called “buyers spoilt for choices” market & segment, I somehow do not have much choices.
I feel, with your budget and experiences with the Palio, all the choices listed will feel a compromise to you after some time. All 3 will kind of suit your need to an extent. In addition, the KUV100 is also worth looking at. And considering that all are lower variants, you compromise on features also.

I would try to push the pre-owned choice once more with family. 7L is a good budget for a pre owned C Segmenter or even a relatively new Premium hatch. Of the top of my head, a 2012-13 top End Honda City I think will come in 7L. In my opinion, you should not compromise just for the fact that it has to be new. You can probably do the TD's with family and also look out for Pre-owned in parallel, Once your family sees the value a pre-owned can bring in 7L as compared to the other new choices, they may change their mind. I also think you need a 7 seater as you plan to keep the car for 5-7 years.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 21:45   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

I would try to push the pre-owned choice once more with family. 7L is a good budget for a pre owned C Segmenter or even a relatively new Premium hatch.
The budget of 7L is actually a budget in terms of EMI + down-payment + resale of Palio + discounts on new car. Can't really use the same budget while considering pre-owned.

But this time, pre-owned is out of contention.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 14:38   #338
BHPian

Made use of the 4 day holidays and came out with the following.

Nexa - Baleno: Lost interest within the first 5 minutes. Was told a waiting of 28 weeks. Even a subtle hint by me stating "How can I do the booking when you tell me the car will be delivered only after 7 months" did not work. The SA was pushing me more towards the S-Cross, saying with just 3L more, you move to a different segment etc. While walking out, he mentioned at the most he can try delivery by Feb at best or we can buy the base Baleno Diesel at 7.75L with immediate delivery. Not interested.

Maruti: Checked the Swift, even though I was not very keen on it. The OTR of Swift VXI (O) goes to 6.70L and I was told very clearly, there is no scope of any discounts whatsoever except for some 10k in exchange bonus. So I gave this a pass. The SA also showed me a mail showing penalties levied by MS on dealers+GM+SM+SA for giving discounts over and above what MS approves. Found that strange, but quite believable.

Came to know of an interesting new fact. Ertiga in VXI trim now costs 8.94L OTR as against 8.56L earlier. Reason being - government introduced additional taxes on cars > 5 seaters (I cannot recall if he mentioned 2% or 4 %). So straight away increase of 40k in the price of the car - for nothing.

Ford: With the above two done with and nothing clicking, I headed towards the Ford showroom after having almost made up my mind that nothing else ticks as many boxes as the Figo for me. Purpose of the visit was to show the car to me family.
What I had in mind was if the Trend Diesel comes in (with some discounts) 7L or thereabouts, then trend diesel it will be, else either trend or Titanium Petrol.

Unfortunately, nothing happened at the Ford showroom, since it got closed by 3pm on 31st when I reached there. And I was told it will remain closed for 3 days.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 2nd November 2016 at 14:42.
vinit.merchant is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:15   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Made use of the 4 day holidays and came out with the following.

Nexa - Baleno:
Maruti: Checked the Swift, even though I was not very keen on it.
I suggest you book the Baleno and keep your hunt on. There are reports on the forum itself of the car arriving in less than 2 months from the date of booking. It fulfills all your requirements and would be very reliable over the next 5-7 years. It has a very spacious rear bench which I think is great for the family.
Another option is the Swift ZXI , comes loaded with safety features and would probably have a better discount than the VXi(O). The dealer can be more eager to push out an existing car he has than order the O variant for you from the factory. Which Dealer did you try with ?
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:05   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I suggest you book the Baleno and keep your hunt on. There are reports on the forum itself of the car arriving in less than 2 months from the date of booking. It fulfills all your requirements and would be very reliable over the next 5-7 years.

Another option is the Swift ZXI ,
Which Dealer did you try with ?
Kothari Viman Nagar (both MS & NEXA) is the closest to me.

I am OK paying a lakh premium over the Figo for the Baleno for what it offers, but I am not the kind of person who would wait for months to get the car delivered. Even a 2 month wait is long enough for me to strike off the car from my consideration.

Also I am not OK to pay a lakh over the Figo for the Swift. For me (subjective), Swift is not worth that much premium over the Figo.

Am waiting for Talera Ford to open again on Saturday. My family is keen on seeing the car in person.
Will visit the showroom and see what turns out. My gut feel is I should be able to negotiate with them for the trend variant, which is only 30k cheaper than Titanium.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote