Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 4th August 2006, 17:11   #1
BHPian

Default Hi all - help a new member in selecting a car

Hi folks
Just became part of Team BHP - have been an auto enthusiast but driven very little in India ? Not really contradictory - since ever since I got a chance to afford a car have been working on assignments - primarily in the states - Now thankfully back

Am looking a for a car with a range of between 5 to 8 lakhs (ex-showroom) which would preferably be a hatchback ( have a german shepherd that is growing really fast and will be take to take it around on the rear seat) - an SUV is not on (especially the ones in my price range ) -have always felt a little uneasy when driving those on the curving roads - possibly just psychological

The chevy SRV looks nice - is it a good option - or should I go for the more trusted names like Honda, Maruti etc.

Would be good to have your opinions

Thanks!
vikrantw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 18:31   #2
BHPian

i think you should go ahead with the SRV or even consider the palio 1.6 both are great cars and hatch .
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 18:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

a GSD eh ? have you considered the Fiat Adventure ?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 14:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi
I am very happy with my SRV - its a huge hatch with a unique styling and looks, that get a lot stares.
However, a lot of people in this forum seem to suggest its overpriced for what it offers - so weight your options and then decide
@adi, weren't you looking at an adventure sometime ago ? I might be wrong.
Anyway, did you already put up any reports on the ownership experience with the SRV ? Would be nice to know about the car - it being new to the market and all...
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 14:44   #5
BHPian

why dont u also consider the ford fusion..its gonna be relaunched in a months time with a lower price....the srv is nice but aint much fun to drive
diven_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 15:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

dogs love cars, so get something where he can really put his face out & feel the air in his fangs...why not an SUV ???

Last edited by esteem_lover : 7th August 2006 at 15:06.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 15:14   #7
BHPian

Hi! If you have following things on priority then consider FIAT Adventure! (A test drive is MUST, even if your are not thinking about this CAR)

1. You drive yourself and love driving (especially highway drving once a while)
2. If you want a hatch or rather SUV style estate which drives like a CAR
3. If you want to experience a ride with great suspension, tough built and great engine (100 BHP) that too at a price which is around 6 lacs.
4. If you want to have good amount of space inside (The boot is 460 litres, expandable to 1500+ litres)
5. If you are not much bothered about Fuel economy (Adventure gives about 8-10kmpl in city with a/c on). So will be Fusion (9-10kmpl) and SRV (8-10kmpl)
6. When you speak about reliable names off course Honda is one of them. But , they are selling their cars on a BIG CORE COMPETENCY which is fuel economy (In Mumbai Honda City gives 11-12kmpl with A/C on @ 77 BHP power)
7. The build quality of Maruti Cars are not great which you can look forward to. But they are very reliable as far as the A-S-S is concerned.
8. Fiat and Tata are together and all the Tata-Fiat dealers are having 3S set up. (Sales, Service and Spares). Apart from this, FIAT has retained its best performnign dealers across the country and sacked all those, who thought, they are too BIG for Fiat and without them FIAT can't survive.

Having said this, please note that FIAT Adventure has not so good interiors, though the exteriors are fully loaded with Alloy Wheels, Pirelli Tubeless tyres, Fog Lamps (4 of them), De-fogger, Rear Wiper and it also has Central Locking,power windows, power steering etc. It also comes with 2 year's "Anti-Corroison" and "Cosmetic" warranty.
omar1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 15:38   #8
BHPian

Take a test drive of any cars in the price range you have mentioned. And after that go for the test drive of Fiat Adventure, bet me you will fall in love with it and you will go for it.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 16:20   #9
BHPian

If you dont have the "Hyundai" tag problem the Getz is also a very competent car. Loads of interior space and a good boot too.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 16:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi
pawan, if you had that bet with me about a month back, you would have lost it...
You have written unavailability of spare parts of Fiat causes you to go for SRV. I have'nt driven SRV but I have driven lots of cars between the range of 5-7 lakh. But driving pleasure in Adventure was awaysome. Have you tried driving Adventure on long streach ?
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 22:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Adventure rocks !!!!!!!!!! I have Palio 1.2 Sport since a year and driven Adventure and then I thought why did not I go for it

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!!
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 16:59   #12
BHPian

Default Thanks for the ideas

Folks,
Thanks for the suggestions - in another section (The chevy SRV test drive ) I mentioned that the SRV is certainly a looker and zippy compared to the optra ( still getting around to driving other cars).
However, one more thing surfaced from the test drives - a sore muscle/tendon ( some soft tissue) just above the left ankle - and I figured it was from pressing on the clutch ever so frequently and so I am going to write another post on that soon
But thanks for the suggestions !
Cheers
vikrantw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 17:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Going by your requirements, the only car presently sold in India that fits the bill is the Fiat Adventure or Indigo Marina.

If u dont mind second hand- then look at teh Baleno altura.

With a German shep. a hatch just wont do- u would need an estate with good aircon. Delhi summers can be hell on German sheps.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote