Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


View Poll Results: Which Rs. 3 lakh hatchback would you choose?
Maruti Alto K10 115 43.89%
Hyundai Eon 57 21.76%
Datsun Go 12 4.58%
Maruti Alto 800 6 2.29%
Hyundai Santro 26 9.92%
Chevrolet Spark 15 5.73%
Tata Nano 31 11.83%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 09:53   #46
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,824
Thanked: 4,771 Times
Default Re: Search for our Maruti 800 replacement - Celerio/Alto K10/Alto 800/Eon/Kwid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
other points noted by him:
  • it will have a 800cc motor
  • spacious
  • seems to have a solid build and looks much safer
  • higher ground clearance
  • and in his own words - it will eat up the Alto!
There is so much hype and talk about this, and this is the reason I brought in the twist to the tale. Hope it is worth the wait
If the structural/build quality is better than the Alto K10, it is going to be a no-brainer.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 17:18   #47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: kolkata
Posts: 12
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

Well my friend is thinking of buying a new car. His budget is around 3.5 to 3.7 L. He is considering Alto 800. I have personally told him to wait for the new Renault KWID. What do you guys suggest?
ani21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:52   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Thane
Posts: 89
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

Quote:
I have personally told him to wait for the new Renault KWID. What do you guys suggest?
Please tell him to wait till November, for booking when I enquired last time dealers told me check in the month of September/October.
dsnaveen21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:56   #49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Search for our Maruti 800 replacement - Celerio/Alto K10/Alto 800/Eon/Kwid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Beginning with the idea of replacing our Maruti 800 with an AMT, then deciding against it and instead planning to get a Manual transmission car to now waiting for a car that's not yet on the roads nor available even for a test drive, let's see how this pans out.

I hope this thread will be a 'living' one and update it as we progress in this journey...
Thanks for the journey NPV. I guess many families do once in a while go through the phase of buying a second car for their loved ones in India. However, what I liked about your writing is in spite of having different opinions, you chose not to subdue your partner (by being an MCP), which is a sorry state of affairs mostly. I am sure many of us like your approach of partnership that you presented in your story. Enjoy your search!
MarkJoe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:29   #50
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,824
Thanked: 4,771 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
Well my friend is thinking of buying a new car. His budget is around 3.5 to 3.7 L. He is considering Alto 800. I have personally told him to wait for the new Renault KWID. What do you guys suggest?
Please do check for prices in the city where your friend plans to buy (is it Kolkata ?). Especially if your friend wants the higher VXI or VXI(O) variants since these may not possibly be in that range. (VXI (O) has the driver-side airbag and some other minor extras).

In Bangalore, with our road taxes being so high, the Alto 800 LX (just one notch above the base Alto 800 STD) costs about Rs.3.75 Lakh on road.

Of course, we're all waiting for the pricing of the Kwid and also a test drive ?
But even there, I think if they price the car between 3 and 4 lakhs Ex-Delhi, it means it will be between 4 and 5 Lakhs on Road in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJoe View Post
Thanks for the journey NPV. I guess many families do once in a while go through the phase of buying a second car for their loved ones in India. However, what I liked about your writing is in spite of having different opinions, you chose not to subdue your partner (by being an MCP), which is a sorry state of affairs mostly. I am sure many of us like your approach of partnership that you presented in your story. Enjoy your search!
Thanks, I cannot even imagine doing that - after all the car is primarily for her and should meet her requirements and she should feel comfortable and happy at the end of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Please tell him to wait till November, for booking when I enquired last time dealers told me check in the month of September/October.
I had spoken to the Sales manager at one of the Renault dealerships here in Bangalore and he said they already have several bookings. Am surprised when you say booking will start in September/October, have they started in Bangalore alone ? I don't think so.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2015 at 13:38.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:59   #51
BHPian
 
kp1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

I was in the same dilemma last year. We had a budget of 3L OTR. My parents never fancied me having a bike so decided upon getting a second car home. There were no restrictions like AMT or Manual, airbag or without it etc. We just wanted a basic set of four wheeled machine. I realized that the only option feasible was the Nano Twist which was launched back then at 2.9L OTR in Mangalore. Just when I was about to book the Nano we came across few Maruti banners which advertised a good discount on Alto 800. The OTR price tag of 4.02L came down to 3.65L approx for the top end Vxi version. Seemed like a good deal and ended up picking it. Its been one year now and the car has never failed to impress me. The pulling power is more than sufficient to drive it in a city like Bangalore. Wish it was a bit more taller.
Now the reason why we dint opt for Alto k10 was probably because i knew a newer gen model was on the verge of launching.
Eon was out of picture because my dad lost faith in Hyundai after our i-gen i20 (P) failed to impress on the FE front.
Yes, I did vote for Alto 800.

Last edited by kp1992 : 3rd July 2015 at 15:03.
kp1992 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:48   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Thane
Posts: 89
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I had spoken to the Sales manager at one of the Renault dealerships here in Bangalore and he said they already have several bookings. Am surprised when you say booking will start in September/October, have they started in Bangalore alone ? I don't think so.
I have just called up renault kwid dealer(Gen next X motors) in Thane, Maharashtra they also handle dealership for Mumbai and NaviMumbai. Here bookings haven't started.
dsnaveen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:39   #53
BHPian
 
DriveHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 40
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
Well my friend is thinking of buying a new car. His budget is around 3.5 to 3.7 L. He is considering Alto 800. I have personally told him to wait for the new Renault KWID. What do you guys suggest?
Alto 800 or I would rather say to go for Alto K10. Its a well proven car and if you are conservative like do not want to take risk then you should go for Alto. Car is a special purchase for every one of us and probably 2nd highest after apartment or house. There are many things need to consider for example after market sales and service, availability of spare parts and key components , good service network , experienced mechanic etc. All of these example are true for Maruti.

Renault KWID looks promising in terms of the 'product' what it is going to offer but yet to see the rest of the things. In recent past many promising cars could not survive that we all know. But if you are ready to take the risk you may go ahead.
DriveHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 06:22   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

I preferred the Hyundai Eon to be a better option when it came to buying a car for my family in this budget.
Primary reason being- it was our first car and we wanted to get maximum bang for the buck. FE, reliability and other factors took second preference. IMHO this is a segment where the car is usually an alternative over a bigger ride or a first car. Choices would differ depending on what context it is being bought, if it's a secondary mode of transport then choosing an Alto (more practical and reliable) over other fancied options seems right. If it is going to be someone's first priced possession then choosing something like Eon with all bells and whistles along with its premium feel makes more sense.
Resh@22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 12:18   #55
vdm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: India
Posts: 55
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

My vote has gone to Alto K10. This is a proven car & the M.A.S.S. available in almost all cities. The car being hassle free & maintenance being easier on the pocket is the main reason for this car. Now with the introduction of AMT, Its tops the list in the hatchbacks list.
vdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 12:01   #56
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,824
Thanked: 4,771 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

In the spec sheet of the Alto K10 brochure under "Engine" (998cc K10B engine), following is mentioned:
Emission Type:BSIV + OBD-II

However, there is no mention of "Emission" or "BS IV" or "OBD-II" in the Alto 800 brochure.
So, is the Alto 800 Engine (796cc, F8D engine) BS IV compliant and does it have the OBD-II port ?

Last edited by NPV : 14th July 2015 at 12:03.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 12:29   #57
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
However, there is no mention of "Emission" or "BS IV" or "OBD-II" in the Alto 800 brochure.
So, is the Alto 800 Engine (796cc, F8D engine) BS IV compliant and does it have the OBD-II port ?
Yes, the Alto 800 is OBD 2 compliant and is BS4.

The OBD-II post is located above the accelerator pedal area below the dashboard behind lever to open the hood.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 13:23   #58
anb
BHPian
 
anb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TRIVANDRUM
Posts: 263
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

I have voted for the Chevrolet Spark because of two reasons

1. The safest car in the segment

http://archive.indianexpress.com/new...ating/1220527/

2. Decent ride and handling
anb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 11:11   #59
BHPian
 
zaheer5776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Nashik
Posts: 43
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

Without a second thought I have voted for Nano. Being an owner of this car I am very much confident about its utility in City though I have done a very long distance trip on highways too without reporting any issue. This car is a marvel! And I know at least three guys who have Nano as a second car but still they are using it frequently instead of using their Safari or Santro. I have a Santro too but after I got Nano I have completely stopped using the Santro! Also I would like to add that a Nano user mostly buys another Nano only when its time for a change of car and its a fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The problem with the Nano is that it ages too quickly.
I agree with this. The ageing issue is serious issue with this car. The car is very delicate. Small things like door handles or knob are of cheap quality. I am so careful about its handling that sometimes my family feels that I have gone crazy. I didn't consider Maruti as being a 6 footer I don't feel comfortable in Maruti 800 or Alto. Regarding Eon, Spark I feel they are beyond 3 lakhs. So Nano is a clear winner for me
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 12:27   #60
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,824
Thanked: 4,771 Times
Default Re: Maruti Alto K10 vs other Rs. 3 lakh Hatchbacks

Story of our small car decision journey continues...
A friend who visited us recently enquired about the progress/decsion on our Maruti 800 replacement. After listening to the story thus far, convinced wifey to give the AMT another shot before deciding to go with a MT car.
He graciously agreed to give his Celerio Vxi AMT for a few days while he is away at his hometown. Hope this results in a positive response from wifey.
I drove the car to work yesterday (Whitefield) and quite impressed, quite a stress free drive in bumper to bumper/slow/stop and go traffic

Last edited by NPV : 15th August 2015 at 12:30.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review theMAG Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 884 5th July 2016 19:10
Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 LXi - One year Ownership experience sanjeevskartha Long-Term Ownership Reviews 19 13th April 2016 20:36
Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon Added_flavor Hatchbacks 176 26th August 2015 10:34
Scoop! Maruti Alto K10 facelift caught EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 3.06 lakh CARDEEP The Indian Car Scene 189 27th November 2014 15:51
Maruti Alto K10 - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 4 24th June 2011 13:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks