Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 12:49   #1
Default Buying Pre-owned i10 (2012) - 2.6 Lakhs Worth it?

Hi All,

This is my first post on Team BHP (apart from the intro post).

Currently I own 2012 Verna Fluidic SX VTVT and its my daily car. I am in market for second car - a hatch primarily to be used for short distances by wifey (less than 20-30 kms) within city which includes her commute to work.

Choices when we were thinking for New Car:

1. Hyundai i20 Elite Sportz (My wife's favorite)
2. VW Polo Comfortline (My Favourite)

However wifey being a very new (read still needs training) driver hence she was rightly apprehensive about buying a NEW 8 Lakh hatch. Hence after lot of deliberation we started looking around for a used hatch.

Visited bunch of pre-owned car dealers, but we got outrageous prices for moderately to high used cars (40000+ on ODO)

One fine day my BIL got news that their long time (10+years) neighbour's i10 is for sale and they were quoting around 3 lakhs.

Visited and took a test drive of the car. Below are the positives & Negatives:

1. Single owner 2012 (April) i10 Kappa (1.2) Magna model.
2. Less than 7000Kms on the ODO. Sparingly used.
3. Very good cosmetic condition (may not need any retouching)
4. Peppy engine and did not feel like 3 yr old car.
5. AC & electronics "seem" to be working fine (I did not have pen drive to test the audio)

1. Gear shifts are too heavy (I am not comparing to Verna - but even by any standards the gear shifts were heavy)
2. Hard steering - Did not feel like power steering (but can be due to under inflated tyres)
3. Very Heavy clutch
4. Not sure what additional costs will be incurred as this car was very sparingly used (7000 km in 3 yrs tells the story)
5. Stupid rats had punctured the fuel line which was repaired at local garage.

After a visit to Hyundai Service center (Sharayu Hyundai Mhape), we got quote of 18K overall which included Transmission oil change and Clutch overhaul and engine decarbonization.

Question - Please suggest whether buying the above car in 2.6 -2.7 lakhs will make sense or not? Also if I do go ahead with purchase what future servicing would be required and estimated expenses? Let me know if I should post a few pics.

Thanks for your help.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:12   #2
Default Re: Buying Pre-owned i10 (2012) - 2.6 Lakhs Worth it?

Welcome to the forum shashankrt.
There is a thread on used car price check (The "USED" Car Price Check Thread)
Suggest you move this query over there for responses.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 14:35   #3
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: Buying Pre-owned i10 (2012) - 2.6 Lakhs Worth it?

Please continue in the thread mentioned above.
Closed Thread