Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 7th September 2006, 19:12   #31
BHPian

Default perspective

everybody,

based on the discussions, fights, I come to the conclusion that it comes down to individual preferences, needs, requirements.
I think if there is so much fight to decide which is better/worse than the other, there isn't so much to choose from and individual perspective is important. Everybody will appreciate that both are good(not bad value for money).

For the record, I drive a Santro(99) and also bought the unpopular (based on opionion on this forum and elsewhere) Corolla(06) because I thought it meets my needs better than the Civic though Civic is brilliant in its own right. People who want to know why can discuss this separately.

So, please test drive both(Wagon-R Vs. Santro) and choose. Dont necessarily go by what everybody says but definitely make an informed decision by reading through everybodys opinion. Also, bear in mind, nothing is perfect and everything will have some flaw or the other.

subbarp
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 19:41   #32
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
@Ramkya1, there is a very interesting comparison review between wagonR and santro by someone who drives both. here is the linky:

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Maru...-107169-1.html

i share most of the thoughts of this review, since i own a wagonR and frequently drive my bro's Santro Zipdrive 1.1L
I haven't driven a Wagon R, so I couldn't comment on the comparison. I suspect that both Wagon R and Santro are very similar cars and which car anybody prefers will depend on personal biases. In this case the reviewer seems to be biased in favour of Wagon R. He says that the Santro sways at 120 kmph. I have not found this even at 140 kmph under normal conditions -- and I have hit 150-160 several dozens of times in the past in my 1-lit Santro (see my Avatar). Maybe true with strong cross-winds, but then same will hold for Wagon R also. So this debate is futile and will never end.

Only comment I want to make is that certain factors that may vary from car to car -- such as, the tyre pressures that the driver prefers to maintain-- may make a huge difference in the feel and handling of a car like the Santro at high speeds in excess of 130 kmph. Many people don't bother to check tyre pressures properly and also probably don't check the wheel alignment/balancing when the car is serviced. These factors may account for the wide variation that one sees in the opinions expressed on the high-speed handling. Of course neither Santro nor Wagon R can be said to be the safest of cars at high speeds.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 12:12   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo
hai mod [rator]

sir.. im sorry if i offended u, i didnt see the poster objecting. sms lingo shows how language is changing & moderators may think of changing with time.
We are well aware of changing times. However, disallowing SMS is a conscious decision and we are sticking with it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 15:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjith
The new Wagon R with double fuel system and airbags have reached the international standards.I preffer WagonR.Santro is a good car.But its getting aged.It needs refinement.So go for WagonR which is tough and sporty.
Reviews of a WagonR owner after driving the "new" Santro eRlx http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/104872-post1.html

I brought this up only because ranjith mentioned the "new" wagon R.
Its not a santro VS wagon R thing.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 15:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Safety At High Speeds ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I haven't driven a Wagon R, so I couldn't comment on the comparison. I suspect that both Wagon R and Santro are very similar cars and which car anybody prefers will depend on personal biases. ........

Of course neither Santro nor Wagon R can be said to be the safest of cars at high speeds.
Hai Bhpns,

I test drove the Wagon R, 35 KM, yesterday and its quiet a nice car. The drive is'n't drastically different, I did feel it's larger than Santro. I feel the steering response and feel is surely better than Santro. As far as power, pick up and drivablity is concerned I think both are in the same league in city. So the water flows both ways!!!!!!!

On the highway I feel neither santro nor wagon Rwould be safe doing 120 / q30. They CAN BE driven ? Yes, but they sould they be, I think no.

I have taken a quote from Hundai for a complete paint job, enjine tune up and replacement of bumbers etc., 30 K and then fit an LPG kit. Looks more cost-effective.

I am grateful for all the suggestions and tips.

--Ramky
===========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 10:07   #36
BHPian

Still in confusion .
wagon R Vxi - 3.85 otr (after discounts)
santro GLS - 3.87 otr (without discounts - heard abt 25-30k discounts)
spark - LT - 3.61 otr (after discounts)
spark - LS - 3.31 otr (after discounts)
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 10:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Santro it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Still in confusion .
wagon R Vxi - 3.85 otr (after discounts)
santro GLS - 3.87 otr (without discounts - heard abt 25-30k discounts)
spark - LT - 3.61 otr (after discounts)
spark - LS - 3.31 otr (after discounts)
Hai,

We own the WR for one year now, no issues, my wife drives it, so do I, on and off. Had a Santro LP for 3 years, had taken it as far away from Ahmedabad as Simla, Kufri etc., the WR is now a purely for city use.

I FELT more secure in the Santro, it was more solidly built, the doors close with much more Thump and on the highway it was more stable on braking. The WR feels more flimsy, the metal thinner and the highway driving at speed scary, in city drive, the PS of the WR is far far superior, we can vouch for the driving ease and comfort of WR. I don't think we would even consider driving on the WR for a family trip anything beyond 100 kms, we would go easily 400 kms + on the Santro anyday.

The Spark, IMO, is worth condiering only for the 3L KM warranty they give; I have low trust on GM promises, need to see how they deliver the 3L KM promise on their vehicles, have no reports or experience of this. So would suggest check with those unde the 3 Lkm warranty and quality of service. Space wise, spark is smaller and the engineering is in no way better than WR or Santro. Please TD and see.

Happy Hunting,

--Ramky
Old 30th August 2008, 11:44   #38
BHPian

I did look into spark and wagon r .Didn't even considered santro as my friend ,who owns one ,dont have a good opinion .High maintenance low FE also poor ride quality .
Spark felt too cramped at the rear compared to wagon r .Frankly it dont have any boot space at all but front is plush. As i'm not driving for the past 5-6 yrs i cant do a TD (will be risky in city).
Also the 3l Km from chevy comes at extra 10-12k bucks.
I also heard that santro and wagon r will be out of production soon.
Although the MSIL dealer told wagon r may continue for couple more years.
No idea about santro's.
Spending 3.5 lacs (+ interest) and owning a out of production car is agonizing :(

Last edited by bullboy : 30th August 2008 at 11:45.
Old 30th August 2008, 12:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Arrow i10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I did look into spark and wagon r .Didn't even considered santro as my friend ,who owns one ,dont have a good opinion .High maintenance low FE also poor ride quality .
Spark felt too cramped at the rear compared to wagon r .Frankly it dont have any boot space at all but front is plush. As i'm not driving for the past 5-6 yrs i cant do a TD (will be risky in city).
Also the 3l Km from chevy comes at extra 10-12k bucks.
I also heard that santro and wagon r will be out of production soon.
Although the MSIL dealer told wagon r may continue for couple more years.
No idea about santro's.
Spending 3.5 lacs (+ interest) and owning a out of production car is agonizing :(
Have you considered the i10, on road about 4.4 l?

While respecting your friend's opinion, it would be logical to look for opinionof many people and also the sales figures of these cars which equate to value for money.

High maintenance, low FE and poor ride quality???? Compared to what?

--Ramky
Old 30th August 2008, 13:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Have you considered the i10, on road about 4.4 l?

While respecting your friend's opinion, it would be logical to look for opinionof many people and also the sales figures of these cars which equate to value for money.

High maintenance, low FE and poor ride quality???? Compared to what?

--Ramky
i10 Era is 4.1 otr and magna is 4.67 otr for irde
also has 17k discount going on.
magana is out coz of budget constarints.
Though it is a good car . i dont like its looks.

Maintenance costs compared to similar marutis is higher
and the FE dropped to 12 kmpl w/o ac in city.
Also ride quality is bad compared to spark.
Also the car is now is too old.but is way better than an alto.
(Yes i know alto is in a different segment)
This is what he told.
So he advised to look for higher models in the same segment.
Old 2nd September 2008, 00:28   #41
SLK
Senior - BHPian

There is no straight answer to this.... never was!

Don't believe in hearsay!!.... all these cars are very much comparable, without a clear winner!

WagonR has no high speed stability or braking or long distance problems!... [been driving one for 8yrs now!!]

Santro's have no high maintenance or low fuel efficiency!

Altos at least a Vxi is not in any way less than a WagonR or santro!.... in fact it's ride quality is better than both combined together!!

i10 apears to be a slightly better/ more refined car.

And so done Estilo when compared to WagonR!....

so take your pic....

I'd be in your place - would buy a swift
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

My cousin sister who is a complete newbie in driving is looking for a compact city car. she lives in kerela. initially, she was looking at an automatic. i suggested her to stay away from an automatic due to many reasons.
the options were:

1) spark- this car was rejected as cabin space & design was not upto their expectations.

2) wagon R- this car was rejected as she dint like the interior comfort.

3) zen estilo- though she liked it's exterior styling, this car was rejected as basically it was a wagon R with a different body. even i share the same opinion.

4) ritz- this car was rejected as they feel its similar to a swift, as in seat height is low which means ingress & egress would be not very easy.

5) santro- they liked the car a lot. supposedly, there is also a limited edition model with improved interiors. i am unaware about it. any bhpian with an idea?

6) i10- this car was preferred the most out of the list. also recommended by me. my cousin loved the placement of the gear lever, felt very comfortable according to her. she liked the exterior & interior styling too. only trade off was that outside visibility is not as good as the santro.

so now, she is confused between the santro & i10, both manual. i suggested that the i10 is a better take. i think the visibility issue is something which she will get used to. but considering she's a newbie, would a santro be a better choice?

your take buddies?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 19th May 2009 at 20:34.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

why not a getz? their prices have been cut, to the same levels as the i10
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

getz- same reason as ritz. seat height is not as much as in i10 & santro. secondly, as i said, she needs a compact car, else even the desirable swift comes into picture. lastly, taller cars offer more convenience & visibilty, especially for newbies like her.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

then i suppose the i10 it is, if the features are worth the extra.
the reason for the getz was its outstanding visiblity . but if small size is needed, its out
though the A star does look majorly cute and would have recommended it, but rear visibility is horrible.

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th May 2009 at 20:55.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote