Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 7th September 2006, 21:31   #1

Hello guys,
I always liked the Palio. Looks, Power, ride quality.. nothing comes close. And the price tag of a 2nd hand Palio is even more tempting.
The world is insane, what else would you call it when u get a 1.6 for less than 2L in second hand market? Or is it..?
Heres a background of me. <please bear>

I ride a pulsar, great bike! Its spares are no problem either. Cheap and durable. Nothing wrong wit it except the service. And i am a kind a person who wont let any ill informed mechanic(be it from authorised service centre) to touch my bike. I have luckily/thankfully found a mechanic whos workshop is 35KMs from my place who works unbelievingly great with bikes. If theres a nut that needs to be tightened, and if i cant reach it(with my arsenal of tools) i ride 35 Kms to my trusted mechanic instead of showing it to the 3 bajaj service centre just 2 KMs/10KMs/15kms from my place. I am that caring of my machine. I even forfeited my warranty by not even taking the free services from bajaj. Seriously speaking, just oil top-up and pressure washing is not my definition of servicing.

Heres where my confusion starts. After subscribing to Palio yahoo group and Team BHP i've been busy going thro' archives and found that Palio story is not all that great.
I am really concerned if i would get a good mechanic in Mumbai for this car? for Palio has very poor service backup and the mechanics are not all that great. Please correct me if i'm wrong here.
1 year/2 year owner reports about this car is usually great but people who have completed 40000+ with this car are the ones who are complaining bout parts failing and spares not upto the mark. I thought this car was reliable. But such instances are really scaring me now. And i am concerned bout maintainance of car older than 3 Years cause that what i'll be getting in 2nd hand market. Many people complained bout suspension failure. Bad brakes. Is it really that bad??

I get a mileage of 40KMPL from my pulsar 150. Thats like the "Worst mileage" quoted for this bike by many magazines. Redlining at every traffic signal i cant expect more. The way i ride, i know Palio 1.6 wont give me more than 6-7 KMPL.. I am ready to bear that considering the intial cost of purchase is soo low. But a "Maintainence free" & "reliable" car is what i am looking for. Does Palio fit my bill? Please advice.
Unfortunately there are no other options in the 2nd hand market for me. Except FIAT(1.2,1.6) i can have an Alto! Thats a HUGE compromise which i want to avoid. If u think i should look for other options below 3L(Second hand), please suggest.

Thanks in advance and my appologies for such a long time consuming mail.
iamkapilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 22:18   #2

Well, to begin with , if you are so particular, you cannot do the Palio. You gotta have a love hate relationship

I just did what you re planning 2 months ago, the quest for spares was treasure hunting types

but it is the 'pulsar among hatchbacks, I just love to "ride " this car and No , My english is perfectly fine

Go for a 1.2, ELX version, check for rusting , once you have got it thoroughly checked at the Fiat dealer and PLS do get the nuts and bolts tightened and sprayed with that magic spray which keeps them in place ,and enjoy the experience
rohitgaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 22:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey bro,
we have a Palio 1.6 GTX that has done 45kkm. While it's true that the car has some problems after 40Kkm, we haven't faced any serious problems or expenditure on the car however.
Wait for a couple of days and see the Long term review which will be posted and then decide.
Till then, look around for a car that has done 25Kkm for 1.75L with full service record.
Also, check out tese links and decide -

lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 23:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you are not concerned about the fuel consumption and not so great service is not a problem with you palio 1.6 is superb car especially second hand buys as you have pointed out alto and palio 1.2 are only cars available as both these cars have poor performance dont think too much go in for the 1.6 its fairly reliable if well maintained.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 11:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

But a "Maintainence free" & "reliable" car is what i am looking for

The palio is not what you are looking for. you own a bajaj, a truly established name in motorcycles here in india. you can get all the spares from any part of the world. and you enjoy a trouble free ride. when you think of upgrading your ride to a car, do not make the mistakes most people do (including me). do not buy a car that you will have to die with, buy a car that you can live with. buy from maruthi or hyundai. in your budget, the esteem or the baleno will be a terrific car to buy even if they are 4-6 yrs old. you will have no problem in maintaining the car. the santro is also another good car in that price, if you like the shape.

please do go through this link before you make a purchase though.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-mistakes.html (Buying a Second Hand Car - Learn from my mistakes!!!)

and cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 00:57   #6

Hi all,
@rohitgaur, anshuman: Thanks for the reply. Still considering my options whether to get a Palio or not.
@lamborghini: Thanks for the links. Will surely wait for ur review.
@esteem_lover: Thanks man, I am also keeping an eye on Balenos. Will check Esteem too. Lets see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for all the inputs. Really appreciate it.
iamkapilb is offline   Reply With Quote