Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 14th September 2006, 16:52   #31
BHPian

Guys,Hold on!!I am really convinced about palio 's power and it's wonderful driveability.From the discussion what i could get was1.Palio - Power,Punch,Driving Pleasure.2.Swift - VFM,Mileage,Looks ( Contradictory to many!!)3.Getz - Only Space and nothing special.Please correct me if i am wrong.Guys i need know the ex-showroom price of Palio 1.2NV,Palio 6 with maximum discount offering.Also,can i get some accessories for the discount the dealer gives from them itself or is it advisable to get it outside?Please advise.
Old 14th September 2006, 18:31   #32
BHPian

We own both the Palio 1.6 & the Swift ZXi.

As has been said, buy the Palio 1.6 for performance & build quality (I mean the tank like build and not necessarily fit & finish). It offers a little more interior space (vis a vis the Swift) and is a joy on the highway. The attractive 50+k discounts may make it more worthwhile. The engine is aptly labelled 'Torque', which really can get addictive.

I would not recommend the 1.2 to anyone, the engine spoils the car IMO. The Getz has nothing special to offer overall, beyond allowing you to walk around with your elbows extended.

The -ves of a Palio that you'll want to consider are:

* Dated interiors & dashboard
* Service can be a nightmare and spares availabilty sometimes compounds this further
* Ride quality is harsh, especially on the 1.6 shod with alloys
* Forward visibility can be a problem when the going gets tight
* Resale values are abysmal
* No safety features such as ABS/Airbags
* The engine notes get quite harsh when you push the car (from my point of view - some people love this)
* Steering can get a little heavy, and the exaggerated turning radius helps none
* Almost forgot - this car has quite a bit of a thirst. Expect nothing better than 10 kmpl while in the city and a real world figure of 9.

Other factors to consider are:
* Fiat is in the process of introducing a new, facelifted Palio soon
* The TATA~Fiat alliance is vague

Now on to the Swift. This car has an eager, high revving engine, which loves to be wound up.
This IMO is how the car compares to the Palio:

* Modern interiors & dashboard + climate control (on the ZXi)
* Service - Maruti is among the best here, enough said
* Ride quality is excellent, at least when compared to the Palio 1.6
* Overall, visibility can be a bit of a problem in the Swift as well, but the ZXi comes with a seat height adjuster
* Resale values are decent, to my knowledge - but this is more of a generic statement, the Swift hasn't been around long enough
* Features ABS, Airbags & keyless entry on the ZXi
* The engine sings out to you when pushed
* Torque - this car needs to be coaxed a little to get moving and pottering around in low RPM is not its forte
* Fuel efficiency - the Swift does a whole lot better overall
* The Swift is a blast to drive on the highway as well

All in all, I like driving the Palio more, but then I've owned it for almost 5 years. Given a choice between the two cars, I end up choosing the Palio over the Swift most of the time. However, it is dated and the competition has moved on and beyond.

All in all, you be the judge and decide after test driving both cars. My vote goes to the Swift.
Old 14th September 2006, 18:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Well well. FIAT would be happy to hear that. You are the first Palio 1.6 ower to have min mileage of 15.5 Kpl
I have at times got an average FE of 18 kmpl on blr - cbe runs. And at times 11 kmpl. Quality of fuel, the way the ECU has programmed and your style of driving makes a lot of difference.
Old 14th September 2006, 18:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

@ airfoil, now, that has been a fair and unbiased comparo between the two cars.
Instead of just going ga-ga over a car based on one strong attribute, it is nice to know the cons also that come as part of the package. The FE figures you quoted for the Palio from your long experience, seem real world, unlike the fancy figures that we keep seeing on the forum. How about some actual figures for the Swift also ? You did mention that it's FE is a lot better than the Palio's, but actual figures would be helpful.

Raajiv, that should help you make a good decision as to which car to go for.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th September 2006 at 18:43.
Old 14th September 2006, 19:19   #35
BHPian

In terms of FE in the real world, palio 1.6 in definitely not way off as compared to others in the segment. It may only be lower by 1 or 2 kms per litre.

Raajiv is not too worried about FE. As for driving goes, nothing even matches Palio in Sub 8 Lacs cars in our country. Service is improving after Tata alliance but only real problem i can think of is low resale value.

Just go to Maruti, Tata and ford showrooms, test drive Swift, Palio 1.6 and Ford Fusion and see for yourself. You wont go wrong with any of these three.
Old 14th September 2006, 19:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv
Also,can i get some accessories for the discount the dealer gives from them itself or is it advisable to get it outside?Please advise.
Palio specific accessories are typically not available in the market (hint!). Today's newspaper carried an advertisement offering a 50k discount on the Palio. You should be able to negotiate for a little more.

Keep in mind that there's a ~25k discount on the Swift as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
How about some actual figures for the Swift also ? You did mention that it's FE is a lot better than the Palio's, but actual figures would be helpful.
Thanks sB. I preferred not to get specific about Swift FE because I don't drive it as much (it is my mom's car). I believe I got 12.5 in the city while the car was still fairly new and 16 on the Highway on a 1800km Hyderabad~Masinagudi~Hyderabad run, both figures achieved with with my fairly spirited driving style.
Old 14th September 2006, 21:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvanand
In terms of FE in the real world, palio 1.6 in definitely not way off as compared to others in the segment. It may only be lower by 1 or 2 kms per litre.

Raajiv is not too worried about FE. As for driving goes, nothing even matches Palio in Sub 8 Lacs cars in our country. Service is improving after Tata alliance but only real problem i can think of is low resale value.

Just go to Maruti, Tata and ford showrooms, test drive Swift, Palio 1.6 and Ford Fusion and see for yourself. You wont go wrong with any of these three.
grvanand, Fully agree with you!!!
Old 14th September 2006, 22:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Swift VXI is an overall good car! It's capable of bringing a wide smile on your face every time you drive/sit/see it than the other cars you've shortlisted. Palio can make you smile while you drive it, but will make you weep when it's in for service.
Getz is better avoided. It getz OLD very soon. And after all it's just a Hyundai.
There are numerous posts here about nightmares to the car owners from their service centers irrespective of the brands. The recent one being Skoda. Why single out Palio alone? How many posts did you read in this forum by Palio owners about their troubles with service centers?
Old 14th September 2006, 22:48   #39
BHPian

have money will spend - palio 1.6
have money will think before spending - swift
Old 15th September 2006, 00:57   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i guess you have found the answer already but let me drill it even deeper.nothing and i mean nothing compares to the paio 1.6.as far as f.e is concerned a lot of my friend's swifts are giving them 10-11 with ac in the city.same as the palio 1.6.its just the hype surrounding the swift which makes it better than the palio(no offense to swift owners).i own a siena 1.6 and its a hoot to drive.
go for the paio 1.6 and you wont ever regret it.
Old 15th September 2006, 01:13   #41
BHPian

You can also think about the Ford Fusion. De latest one. Not bad though ! Price is like a deal !

Jai
Old 15th September 2006, 01:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme
You can also think about the Ford Fusion. De latest one. Not bad though ! Price is like a deal !

Jai
The Fusion is a very good alternative to the Palio. The engine is a lot smoother and free-revving - the only issue is that it starts to pull only past 2500~3000 rpm, till when it potters along well enough without knocking (but doesnt pull urgently). It also seems more spacious and has better interiors while offering better seating.

On the flip side Ford is not exactly known for cheap service costs past the warranty period. It also shares a penchant for rattling doors with the Palio.
Old 15th September 2006, 08:04   #43
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx
Off-topic.......Arre i waz talkin to a pal and he said tht Swift gives a milage of 10 and is not such a great performer and a WagonR is better any day thn it.....is tht true????
Probably WagonR may give a better FE but when it comes to the power game, SWIFT is way ahead of WagonR. On FE, My SWIFT gives me 11.5 in city with A/C on always. My high way FE (when I drove down to Coimbatore and back during May, 2006) was 14 (again with A/c on always), which is great for me. Even my previous car, ALTO VX1.1 gave me the same mileage on high way. with 1.3 liter engine, I feel that 14 on highway is good FE.
Old 15th September 2006, 09:35   #44
BHPian

Thank you @ himanshugoswami, @ finneyp and @airfoil for bringing in more info. That is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 15th September 2006, 09:42   #45
BHPian

Please let me know the exact price ex-showroom chennai of Palio 1.2 NV and Palio 1.6 .Also ,is it adivaseble to get the under body coating considering the monsoon.
Closed Thread