Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 14th September 2006, 17:45   #1

Question

Hello everyone. I have been researching for my first car for the past 6 months now, and I feel I have done enough of it and want to proceed with the buying part. My initial list had 6 cars, which was finalized to finally 2 - Wagon R VXi and Indica TD DLX.

However, I am still confused between the two. Following are the points that I am considering for shortlisting my car -
1) I will travel around 1600 kms a month, including one outstation trip of approx 350 kms.
2) For me, fuel efficieny is important as I had started earning only last year and dont want to spend a large part of my salary on fuel. I have other financial priorities also.
3) I'm 6'1'', and single. Hence, except for 1 month in which my parents will visit Delhi, I will be driving Solo.
4) Since I might start visiting places around Delhi with a few friends, I need a car safe enough for the highway in terms of stability and sturdiness.
5) I will probably change the car after 4 years.

Now many people will argue that I might not need a diesel for 1600 kms a month, but like I said, i dont want to spend much on fuel. The price difference in ex-showroom prices of the models mentioned is Rs. 35,000 which can easily be recovered in 18 months as per my running in case of Indica TD.

I had also considered Palio 1.2 ELX, Swift Vxi, Getz GLS also, but they all lost because of the fuel efficiency point. Many people say that my needs are more fulfilled by Indica TD, but unforunately things that still create doubts are Taxi image in Delhi and Long time reliability. On the other hand, the fear of having an unfortunate event(God forbid) in a Wagon R on the highway scares me and stops me from going ahead with it. Hence the confusion.

I would be really appreciative if you guys can help me out. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2006, 18:54   #2
BHPian

rather buy the wagon R , due to the insurance deregulation bound to happen next year, you will pay a lot in insurance for the indica, and also Maruti service is the best, ease of maintainence, parts are dirt cheap, service i every nook an cornr, mileage, resale value
Old 14th September 2006, 19:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you consider Wagon R Duo LXi (Petrol + LPG)? FE hould work out as good as diesel. That unfortunate could happen (God forbid) on Indica too.
Anyways, be alert & careful and either will be safe.
Old 14th September 2006, 20:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanakbar
On the other hand, the fear of having an unfortunate event(God forbid) in a Wagon R on the highway scares me and stops me from going ahead with it.

WagonR is not an OMNI or a SUMO. Its handling and stability is not as bad as some people make out to be. Of course it cant be said to be a perfect highway car, but then even Indica is not that good in highways.

Rather look for Palio/Getz/Swift if you are so scared and highway driving is your main concern. Better still, look for a cheap sedan like Esteem/Ikon/Indigo.

Last edited by DCEite : 14th September 2006 at 20:22.
Old 14th September 2006, 20:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

khanakbar, you seem to have done a pretty good job of researching. The answer you are looking for, is actually in your post itself. Your main priorities as I see it are FE & reliability. Additionally, you need highway stability and sturdiness. And as you yourself put it, the WagonR meets the main priorities beautifully. Get the WagonR Duo (dual fuel) and you have a cheaper fuel option also, which IMO is either as cheap as or cheaper than diesel.

The tall boy design means that the WagonR is not really in the same league as sedans, but it is not bad either. Know the limits of the car (and there is a limit for all cars, not just tallboys) and you are safe. Regarding build quality, the Indica might be heavier and using thicker steel. But, that in no way guarantees safety in accidents - there are lots of factors involved in crashes.

Go ahead with the WagonR and I am sure you are assured of a good, fun and reliable experience for a long long time to come.
Old 15th September 2006, 09:24   #6
BHPian

Wagon R in no sense is a highway car whereas Indica Turbo is a true Highway car with diesel engine that too turbo charged, more powerful, solid sturdy body, feels well planted on high speeds, roomier and better driveability on highways, all these are the characteriscs of good highway car, there is no point justifying every maruti car for every purpose just because it is maruti.
khanakbar, I think 1600km per month is very much justified for a diesel car. You may look at DLG version by comparing features, because it may cost a bit less. Regarding Taxi image, I think, cherry red Indica really stands out in traffic, even better than swift from many angles but that is my opinion. After all this you need to take call on Reliability by yourself because this is one thing which spreads through word of mouth so may be owners can throw more light on this.
Old 15th September 2006, 10:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Search the forum for reliability issues for both the choices and you will get the answer.
Old 16th September 2006, 10:48   #8
BHPian

Wagon R DUO is the obvious choice
Old 16th September 2006, 13:07   #9
BHPian

We have a 5 pseed 800 and Indigo at home. It's the same delimma as yours..., when we do 700kms trip (18hrs) M'lore-gulbi kind, the ride comfort , minimal stress on such highway journeys is minimal in Indigo, while the peppyness, amazing fuel economy (almost 600kms in full tank) but stressed out due to it's compact nature in my 800, the sharp contrast is visible. But who wins ? m800 5 speed... because I do these highway journeys (200-700kms oneway) may be at most 3-5 times in a year and most of the other time it's bumper to bumper city traffic where m800 wins.

So be careful being too considerate for highway journey, depends upon how often you go on highway. You always have the option of an Innova or other MPV taxi to use if it's really big outing on highway.

And Wagon R is not that bad for small 250 kms trips like b'lore mysore etc.
Or in your case - Delhi-shimla trips Do also take into consideration prospective family members ;-)

But.... From what I understand it's not really bumber-to-bumper traffic in Delhi in all places like B'lore, so do give regional ground realities a consideration.
Old 16th September 2006, 17:37   #10

Thank you all for your replies. I am not considering the Wagon R DUO cause I live in Gurgaon and I dont think there are many LPG stations in NCR region, or for that matter in Delhi itself.

As for bumper to bumper traffic, yes the situation is certainly not as bad as bangalore, but trust me, it will soon be that way. In fact, there are reports that Delhi roads are going to be completely saturated by 2010, and the fastest means of transport on land will be walking

As for the car, Wagon R is top of my list as per feedbacks from many people, but there are still people who say that Indica TD is a very good choice. Maybe a few feedbacks from the Indica TD owners about long term reliability cause help me here.
Old 17th September 2006, 03:56   #11
BHPian

Dont even think of Wagon R
Tata Indica TD is the best in here now and its real worth buy..
its fot real good power and can enjoy your smooth ling drives as well city drive.
so friend make it a final to go in for a Indiaca TD..
enjoy
Old 17th September 2006, 08:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.throttle
Dont even think of Wagon R
hmmm.. any particular reasons?
Old 17th September 2006, 09:59   #13
BHPian

Smile

I think you should definately go in for the wagon -R .

Getting stuck out on the roads at night is not such a nice thing to deal with which is a distinct possibility with the indica more than the wagon -r .

The Wagon -R is super reliable and fuel effecient .

I just completed 40000 Kms in mine in a year and half .

Also drove a 40000 Km completed indica last week which belongs to a friend and the difference is so so huge .
My car feels more or less like a new car , no interior rattles etc while his definately feels like a 80000 km old car with rattles and squeaks coming in from every nook and corner.

Try driving both these cars with the ac on the 1st speed and around 40 and you will get a better picture of what I am saying.

Wagon R no vibrations ,no noises and Indica (the less said the better)

Drives very decently on the highway , it obviously will not feel planted as good as a full 3 box car but it will also not feel heavy to drive as a indica.

try driving both the cars for 4 hours at a stretch and chances are u will get more tired driving the indica than the wagon r ,due to the amount of time you need to tax your brain in working out overtaking manuveres and also due to the amount of time you need to keep the accelerator pedal pushed down and the effort it requires to press the indica clutch .

All the same its finally up to you , I am glad I bought the Wagon -R over the Indica .So best of luck
Old 17th September 2006, 11:32   #14
BHPian

I would like answer the question regarding savings with a simple calculations...

Indica : Diesel I believe in delhi is currently Rs 32.65
Taking a combined avg of around 14kmpl (350km highway ride, 1250kms city ride as mentioned by you), u will end up using 114.28 L of Diesel which is 3731 bucks

WAGONR : Petrol in delhi i believe is like Rs 47/-
Taking combined fuel economy as 13.5kmpl, u will use 118.5 L = 5570 bucks

Difference : 1840 bucks. That means the extra 35,000 spent will be recovered in around 19-20 months but u intend to keep the car for 4 yrs, so u may end up saving 50000 bucks in the rest of the 28 months BUT.. when u resale ur indica, the price u will get for it as compared to the WagonR will be less by around 30-40000 kms (indicas i believe have a lower resale value than WagonRs..)

So regarding savings, there isnt much to choose between the two cars
Old 19th September 2006, 14:21   #15
BHPian

Default Santro?

Why not you take a look at Santro xing? Its another best car in segment. Its low cost to maintain and well refined than a Wagon R.
Closed Thread