Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 17th August 2016, 16:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Replacement for my Tata Nano?

Thanks for the replies.

There are two major constraints that I cannot overlook: the car must be new and the on road price must not be above 5 L.

I have already ruled out the other contenders such as the Kwid, as their feature rich variants are touching 5L on road and the Nano makes a very strong economic case against them.

Used cars are out as well, so no used Revas or other cars.

It will have to be a CNG or a Twist/GenX Nano.

I am using the LX Nano for the past four years and the odo is nearing 70k now. Power steering has never been a required feature so far.

The only concern with CNG is the frequency of refill and the time for each refill. I can live with everything else. However I certainly don't have time to spend a couple of hours every three days to fill CNG.

Of course when the CNG runs out one still has the petrol to run, so it won't exactly be a trip to the pump every 3 days. But the difficulty in filling CNG may end up the car running on petrol alone.

By the way, the 2015 piece I saw was labeled Twist, but the sales guy said it was a GenX model. What's the difference?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 16:53   #77
BHPian

That's a great decision Though CNG Nano makes a sense in terms of economy but I think if I was in your place I would have gone for the latest petrol version manual. I mean I am really excited with the open able hatch feature. Rest I don't need to say much as you have driven more of Nano than I have driven it. By the way have you gone through Datsun redi-go? What is the reason if you haven't considered it?
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 16:54   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Thanks for the replies.

There are two major constraints that I cannot overlook: the car must be new and the on road price must not be above 5 L.

I have already ruled out the other contenders such as the Kwid, as their feature rich variants are touching 5L on road and the Nano makes a very strong economic case against them.

Used cars are out as well, so no used Revas or other cars.

I am using the LX Nano for the past four years and the odo is nearing 70k now. Power steering has never been a required feature so far.

The only concern with CNG is the frequency of refill and the time for each refill. I can live with everything else. However I certainly don't have time to spend a couple of hours every three days to fill CNG.

Of course when the CNG runs out one still has the petrol to run, so it won't exactly be a trip to the pump every 3 days. But the difficulty in filling CNG may end up the car running on petrol alone.

By the way, the 2015 piece I saw was labeled Twist, but the sales guy said it was a GenX model. What's the difference?
1. It hardly takes 15-20 mins to enter, fill CNG and exit (at least where I fill in Thane)
2. As many have mentioned, you can probably stick with New Nano
CNG or GenX will depend on the economic benefits. Just forget about other products.
For example, monthly running is more than CNG makes sense
Else stick to petrol which gives you additional bells and whistles in the car.

OR Buy the CNG Nano, which I guess comes bare-bones and fit aftermarket accessories to make it as close as GenX.

All you need to do is check which of these 2 options makes more sense, economically.
pankajn1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 07:45   #79
Senior - BHPian

Feature wise, the CNG lacks front fogs, power steering, front power windows, music system with four speakers, openable hatch.

Except the power steering and openable hatch, everything could be added, and I am not very keen on power steering or power windows. They are convenient but not essential.

I did not evaluate the Redi Go, but going by my test drive of Go, it will be more bare bones than the CNG Nano. The Nano looks miles ahead of the Go in terms of fit and finish.
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:44   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Feature wise, the CNG lacks front fogs, power steering, front power windows, music system with four speakers, openable hatch.

Except the power steering and openable hatch, everything could be added, and I am not very keen on power steering or power windows. They are convenient but not essential.

I did not evaluate the Redi Go, but going by my test drive of Go, it will be more bare bones than the CNG Nano. The Nano looks miles ahead of the Go in terms of fit and finish.
Sir, you might want to check out the 1.0 Kwid launched at 3.82 lacs(ex-showroom) today.
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

What's the price with AC, power steering and front power windows?

If the 800cc Kwid with these features is above 4L, the 1.0 Kwid will be above 5L easily. Plus not readily available!
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:29   #82
BHPian

Quote:

GenX model looks totally different, has different bumpers and steering wheel.
CNG Nano only comes in one variant AFAIK.

Alto K10 fits in your budget and would be an upgrade in terms of engine, but a big downgrade on space for entire family.

The perfect upgrade for you would be Nano 3 cyl ,but no one knows when it will be launched.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote