Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 5th May 2009, 16:41   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

To the thread starter: I think a 2004 ac+ps Santro/WagonR should be available in that range, would fit in your reqs perfectly.
I doubt of getting the vehicle, the reason is we sold our Maruti Omni 2000 model in January 2008 for 1.7 - 1.9Lakh @ True Value
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 17:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I doubt of getting the vehicle, the reason is we sold our Maruti Omni 2000 model in January 2008 for 1.7 - 1.9Lakh @ True Value
May be true! but a lot has happened from Jan08-May09. In jan 08 recession was unheard of and nobody predicted to have a freefall in their businesses, second hand car sales have plummeted in the recent months and many second hand dealers have started giving huge discounts just to stay afloat in the market. Some of them have refused to buy some of the cars and have instead opted for park and sell methods. so my bet is that for 1.5 lakh u might get a better deal
cheers!
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 19:19   #33
BHPian

you can go for Palio too. For 1.5 laks you'll get a newer car and it comes with PS and power windows too. Of course one can get cheaper Altos, wagan R or 800s for that price, but Palio belongs to a different class.
nim_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 22:17   #34
Vicky_s_world

Why dont you go with the Esteem????

Its a great car and will go with all your requirements, even the budget
Old 5th May 2009, 22:17   #35
BHPian

In my opinion Fiat palio is the best car available at this price.
vinodv001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 11:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
a friend of mine is selling His extremly well maintained Fiat Siena 1.2 Petrol. Don't know the cost, but if I had money and need for second car I would've bought this one.
I already have Palio.
Thanks but I'm looking for a small car for ease of use in the city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats View Post
Stick to the Alto or Zen. With the cars being more than 3 years old (considering your budget), keeping the cars in good nick will the top priority, so maintenance and spares cost wise nothing to beat Maruti...
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
The zen, alto and wagonR being maruti would be easy to maintain and run. Santro would be a good choice too depending on the condition of the car. if FE is not of a concern then the most comfortable car to drive would be the getz. Also if you plan to sell after 2 years and adding 15k to its odo, you need to check the resale value of a 8yr old car.
And considering the second hand car market senario as of today the prices of these old cars are going to go down further as newer cars enter the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Santro your best & Safest bet.

Try few Santro & Maruti counterparts.

You will really feel the difference in terms of quality, refinement, built etc.

with santro you need not to worry for ***, rattles (all marutis), AC etc.

Go for santro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
+1

i will say buy a second hand santro, do a good research befor buying any old car, don't ever go by the car exterior looks how well it is maintained. before buying get it checked by some good mechanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer.ized View Post
i think you should buy an alto it's small and will give you nice mileage too and will be an easy resell after 2yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
- 1 to that.
I do not know how you reached the conclusion that all Marutis rattle. Maybe its hearsay, or Hyundai Fanboyism, i don't know. But i request you to please be a little sensible while posting. No personal offence meant.

To the thread starter: I think a 2004 ac+ps Santro/WagonR should be available in that range, would fit in your reqs perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
May be true! but a lot has happened from Jan08-May09. In jan 08 recession was unheard of and nobody predicted to have a freefall in their businesses, second hand car sales have plummeted in the recent months and many second hand dealers have started giving huge discounts just to stay afloat in the market. Some of them have refused to buy some of the cars and have instead opted for park and sell methods. so my bet is that for 1.5 lakh u might get a better deal
cheers!
Thank you for the feedback. I'm not too worried about resale, mileage, etc. I just want a small car that's reliable and can pretty much go 1 -2 years without any major expense! Even if I loose Rs. 50,000 it will be much less depreciation than a new car.

Ideal situation will be if I can get a 5 year old Santro/Zen/Wagon R/Getz with less than 50,000 kms on the ODO. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again!
CarsPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 11:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
you can go for Palio too. For 1.5 laks you'll get a newer car and it comes with PS and power windows too. Of course one can get cheaper Altos, wagan R or 800s for that price, but Palio belongs to a different class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
In my opinion Fiat palio is the best car available at this price.
The Palio is a great car and I've driven one in the past. Plus since they depreciate like crazy I can get a newer car in my budget. But I already have a Fiat Linea and don't want to go in for another car of the same make. Also my perception is that a Fiat Palio is not as reliable as a car from Maruti or Hyundai. I will keep a look out for good deals on Palio too!

Thanks for the suggestion .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky_s_world View Post
Why dont you go with the Esteem????

Its a great car and will go with all your requirements, even the budget
Another great suggestion but I want a smaller car without a boot! Have driven the Esteem extensively in the past and that goes against it too.

Thanks .
Old 6th May 2009, 18:53   #38
BHPian

What do you all think of the following classifieds on Team-BHP:

Team-BHP Classifieds - 2002 santro ls fully loaded for sale in pune - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Team-BHP Classifieds - 2002 palio sports 1.2 for sale in pune - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

1.5 lacs is the max I want to go at this time. Any more and I'm temped to go for the Spark PS which will work out to ~ Rs. 3 lacs OTR and comes with 3 year free maintenance!
Old 7th May 2009, 14:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
What do you all think of the following classifieds on Team-BHP:

Team-BHP Classifieds - 2002 santro ls fully loaded for sale in pune - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Team-BHP Classifieds - 2002 palio sports 1.2 for sale in pune - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

1.5 lacs is the max I want to go at this time. Any more and I'm temped to go for the Spark PS which will work out to ~ Rs. 3 lacs OTR and comes with 3 year free maintenance!
Any feedback?? Also if any one knows of any good cars that fit my criteria please post or send me a PM.

Thanks!
Old 11th May 2009, 12:44   #40
BHPian

Bump! Any more tips or advice??!!
Old 11th May 2009, 14:30   #41
BHPian

well i m afraid, all the possible cars in the budget ave been discussed.

so, IMO no more cars are advised.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 10:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
well i m afraid, all the possible cars in the budget ave been discussed.

so, IMO no more cars are advised.
That's true . I will post once I've made my choice!
Old 16th May 2009, 23:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am researching to buy a new small car and have short listed the Alto LXi/Santro GL/Estillo LXi/Spark PS models. I have completed the test drive of the Santro today and will drive the others tomorrow.

Meantime a used Santro Xing-XO has come up for sale. It is a 2006 August model, single owner and done only 6000 KM. Belongs to a neighbour cum colleague of my Sis-in-Law. So the clean condition and low mileage of the car is beyond doubt. I will see the car tomorrow but it seems the owner wants 2.75 Lacs for it. Is it worth so much? If not what price can I reasonably quote if I like the car? The price he demands is about par with Carwale valuation, I checked just now. Can any BHPians, especially ones aware of Chennai rates, chime in?

Incidentally it's current equivalent, the GLS model that I test drove today, costs 3.83 L on the road. Thanks in advance for any inputs!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 23:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am researching to buy a new small car and have short listed the Alto LXi/Santro GL/Estillo LXi/Spark PS models. I have completed the test drive of the Santro today and will drive the others tomorrow.

Meantime a used Santro Xing-XO has come up for sale. It is a 2006 August model, single owner and done only 6000 KM. Belongs to a neighbour cum colleague of my Sis-in-Law. So the clean condition and low mileage of the car is beyond doubt. I will see the car tomorrow but it seems the owner wants 2.75 Lacs for it. Is it worth so much? If not what price can I reasonably quote if I like the car? The price he demands is about par with Carwale valuation, I checked just now. Can any BHPians, especially ones aware of Chennai rates, chime in?

Incidentally it's current equivalent, the GLS model that I test drove today, costs 3.83 L on the road. Thanks in advance for any inputs!
Carwale is typically higher by 10% - 20% than fair market in my opinion. I think if you can get it for around 225,000 - 2,50,000 that's a good deal!

Last edited by CarsPG : 16th May 2009 at 23:23.