Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 16th October 2006, 12:44   #1

Question

Hello guys,

Deciding to buy a new car for the first time so need sincere advise where I am confused and unable to decide my first pick.

Budget: 4 lacs

My first priority is less headache and low maintenance.. i hate going to mechanics and keep on spending money..

After doing some research and keeping in mind my choice, i have fileterd to either palio or getz. (i dont like santro, wagonR & alto)..& open for any other options that u guys may have (but need compact car)..

Palio 1.2 ELX - Now a days getting 50,000 off - On road 4,26,000 - 50000 = 3.7 lacs
Gets GVS - 4.56 lacs on road (GLE is basic model which is 4.2 lacs)

Can you guys help me in deciding which car to go for... obviously palio is much cheaper but heard lots of horrible stories about palio maintenance and higher cost of serivice and parts.. and lower re-sale .. all that is speaking that spend some more money and go for getz... as maintence will be lower with lesser headache.. (i have 1 friend who bought used palio and has been spending so much moeny for its maintenance)..
What u guys say about it....which 1 to choose... please also share how much is the milage difference between them.. with tata coming in for palio has made any difference?

Also heard about reloaded zen today..is it worth waiting for it.. expected to be in Jan..
Old 16th October 2006, 14:31   #2
BHPian

fast_furious,
Getz is a nice smooth car. And at 4.56/4.2 lacs it is a good buy. But at 3.76 Palio is an excellent buy.
Performance wise Getz has the advantage where as Palio will give better mileage.
Getz has slight advantage in interior space.
Getz GVS gives wider tyres compared to Palio 1.2.
Palio A/C is more efficient according to me. Getz takes time to cool the cabin.
Both comes fully loaded with all Power(steering, window etc) stuff.
Palio has a better ride and is better built.
Palio spare parts are definitely cheaper than that of Getz.

And you need to check with other Delhi TBHPians about Fiat service in Delhi.

If you are not worried so much about mileage , you can think of Palio 1.6(it can easily give 11+ milieage in city) as well which would give you more driving satisfaction.
Waiting for new Palio or CRDI Getz or even Zen wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

-Sivadas
Old 16th October 2006, 14:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Between the two, Getz is definitely the better car with better quality interiors, more power, more space and great after sales service. Peace of mind comes as a standard accessory.

Your other obvious alternative is the Swift.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th October 2006 at 14:41.
Old 16th October 2006, 14:48   #4

Thanks for the response guys..
While posting ur views about it, also keep in mind the price difference... Getz is 80,000 costlier than palio...is it worth spending this much more money for Getz... I can compromise with power.. and don't want to spend 80K more just for power..
I would be driving it mostly in city, around 30 KM per day..
which 1 is better deal???
Old 16th October 2006, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.2 ELX at a price of 3.7 lacs is an absolute steal!

What you get is a sedan car (without boot) and all the great features of a Palio - Excellent Build Quality, Superb Ride Comfort, Space, Safety, Looks and a decent mileage of 12 - 13 Kmpl in City and 15 - 18 Kmpl on Highways.
Post Fiat-Tata tieup, Service has improved leaps and bounds.
So just go & get that Italian beauty!
Old 16th October 2006, 16:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since I own both cars, I feel i can give you an objective view. I have a GLS version of the getz and and ELX version of the Palio.

The getz GVS comes with skinny tyres, no c-locking and no tacho. but it has very good interior space. however, the quality of the interiors, in terms of the materials used is below par. And mind you, mine is the loaded GLS version- so I am expecting even more cost cutting with teh GVS version. A.S.S. in Delhi is quite good for the Getz. (we get ours serviced regularly from HMP on Mathura road). Mileage in city with 100% AC and a sedate driving style-My mother uses the car mostly- is 10-10.5 KPL. The suspension is quite soft and gives a comfortable ride, but is definitely no fun once speeds cross 90. IMHO- the getz is very overpriced, though a good car.

The Palio is driven by me in Bangalore and power wise, it is a bit down on the getz. rear space is also lesser than the getz. However, quality of interiors on the ELX version is much better and looks and feels plusher- esp the beige coloured interiors- the wooden dash looks a bi tacky though. the build quality needs no mentioning- Palios are legendary for their solid build. Service is just about OK in Bangalore-dunno about Delhi, but you can try Sanya motors- used to get my Indica serviced from them and they were pretty decent. However, i still feel that Hyundai servicing would be better. The fun to drive factor is much better in the Palio sicne it gives you confidence to tackle all kinds of roads given its amazing suspension. seriously, this car can take a lot of abuse and still come out smiling. Mileage in bangalore with 30% AC is 12.5 to 13. I guss in Delh heat, with 100% AC, it would give about 11 + considering that in Delhi you can regularly drive in 4th/5th gear whereas that is a luxury in bangalore.

Hope this helps.

P.S. if you decide on getz, please stay away from Samara Hyundai- they are crooks of teh highest order- had a horrible experience with them when i bought my Accent. stick to HMP.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 16th October 2006 at 16:16.
Old 16th October 2006, 17:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

the extra 20-50 grand over your budget will be worth it in the long run. the getz is a far better option than the 1.2 fiat, unless you are a fiat lover. the hyundai service support is well established & there is no dearth of spares. like you have said in your post regarding your friends' palio, maintenance issues are vital. so better safe than sorry.

on the other hand, if you are buying a 2nd hand palio, then it might be ok since you do not stand to lose much. they are available for anything between 1.00 to 2.00 lakhs. cheers
Old 16th October 2006, 18:30   #8

Unhappy

Hi All,
I am going to purchase car in couple of day.But i m really confused for my final choice.Should i go for Palio or Getz?
is there somebody who can suggest me which one will be better?
Offer wise palio is good..But dark side is that its Fiat car....
Getz is good but its costly as compare to other small cars.
There is large difference in Esteem and Getz price,but a main difference in size....
I am totally confused......?????
which one Palio or Getz?
suggest me pls.
Old 16th October 2006, 18:35   #9

Hi esteem lover,

u have confused me even more...
do u have any exp with palio or getz..??
After doing some more nogotiations, dealer is ready for palio ELX at 3.4 Lacs..
What you say now.. price difference between getz and palio is now more than 1 lac..
Please provide ur valuable views.. 1 lac is a big amt :(
Old 16th October 2006, 20:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi fast_furious,

I found Sivadas and himanshugoswami have covered every point, make a good list from their comments and take a decision. Both are good cars and winners together, Its hard to decide between getz and palio but based on your requirement you can choose right vehicle for sure, Don't bother about Fuel economy since bothe give 1 or 2 km per ltr difference so won't make much difference.

Regards,

ravi.
Old 17th October 2006, 00:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_furious
Hi esteem lover,

What you say now.. price difference between getz and palio is now more than 1 lac..
Good question,so esteem lover,do you have experience with either of the cars?
fast_furious,you are getting a Getz sized car at the price of an Alto Lxi!!
I have owned a palio 1.2 elx in the past.Its a beautiful car to drive and own,though a little sluggish.But spares for 1.2 engine are cheap and the car is reliable.
The getz is also a good car,but certainly not worth spending a lakh more over the Palio.In fact the Getz also feels a bit sluggish to drive.
Getz is a good family car,but it is lacks soul.The Palio is meant for people who love driving.
The initial 1 lakh you save can serve you in fuel and maintainance costs.The only thing is that you need a good Fiat dealer around your area,so that you dont have to run around later.
My choice,the palio any given day.I would buy it over the Getz even without the 1 lakh discount.Good luck in your car hunt!
Old 17th October 2006, 11:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Fast_Furious,

I own Palio 1.2 Sport since 1.5 years.. One of my friend owns Getz fully loaded. We biught the cars almost same time.. Whenever we go out this friend makes sure he drives my car.. He told me, he never had confidence in Getz while cornering and about its build quality.. (This could be his personal opinion).. Servicewise there is no difference, I equally get good service.. (I am from Pune). We have 1000+ members group called 'Paliousersindia@yahoogroups' where we discuss all FIAT cars.. You can join the group and can clear some of your queries. We have some members from Delhi and Noida region, so these guys can help you selecting a good FIAT or TATA-FIAT dealer..

About Palio, its an awesome car.. 1.2 is a bit slugish in 1st and 2nd gear but after that its in another league.. I have driven my friend's Getz but personally I did not find its handling good enuf compared to Palio.. Take a test drive of both the cars.. @ 3.4 Palio is a better deal.. Even if you dont mind spending 4.5 and around.. check out Palio 1.6......

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!
Old 17th October 2006, 13:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_furious
Hi esteem lover,

u have confused me even more...
hi fast_furious,
i admit i have very little experience with the palio & getz compared to the esteem. but i do know from my friends' experience with their palios. some love the car, inspite of the maintenance issues & some have regretted buying the car & curse the company for leaving them high & dry after initially promising so much. you only have to search these forums for a list of problems encountered by palio users. trust your experiences more than what others say.

Quote:
obviously palio is much cheaper but heard lots of horrible stories about palio maintenance and higher cost of serivice and parts.. and lower re-sale...........
i have 1 friend who bought used palio and has been spending so much moeny for its maintenance)..
@Roms : please do not take it personal. ....of course there are quite a few happy palio owners here.

i was only helping him make a more sensible decision. cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 17th October 2006 at 13:19.
Old 17th October 2006, 13:59   #14
BHPian

Fast n furious,
I have been reseaching a few cars for some time looking for one to buy. I was looking for something that I could enjoy driving and felt safe in and could keep for years. While I did not drive the Palio 1.2 with the view of buying it, since I already knew it was sluggish and had a more capable big brother, but still I must say the drive was enjoyable. I have not driven the Getz. I have driven the Santro and the Accent, and in comparison, I felt more comfortable with the accessibility of the wheel, the gear shift and everything else, with the Palio than with the Hyundais.
In fact, if you keep shifting gears and maintain higher revs, the 1.2 can deliver adequate performance in stop go traffic. From what I have heard, the 1.6 and the 1.2 deliver similar FE numbers, ranging from 8-9 on very spirited driving (which is easier in the 1.6, and therefore more likely) to even 14+ for sedate highway driving.
So, the saving in initial cost can definitely be put to good use in running the car. Both Palios are good buys. So, if you can, consider also the 1.6.
Old 17th October 2006, 16:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
@Roms : please do not take it personal. ....of course there are quite a few happy palio owners here.

i was only helping him make a more sensible decision. cheers
Do you mean we didn't make a sensible decision?
In fact, we made a wise decision to buy a Palio compared to the tin boxes available in that segment!!!

Last edited by finneyp : 17th October 2006 at 16:06.
Closed Thread