Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 6th November 2006, 20:41   #1

Smile

Hi all,
I would like to buy Fiat car but bit confused between Petra and palio.
I work offsore & one month on and off schedule. May be I'll use this vehical between Mumbai & pune or in Pune/ Mumbai cities.

I'm looking for car with the decent boot, pick-up and power with luxury.

Please advise the prise for those models.
Travel-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 10:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Contact Jay Vijay or Ashwamegh. They may have stopped selling the Petra but I did see some cars in stock at Ashwamegh.

The Petra will give you everything but the so called 'luxury' feel. However, with the money you save you can spruce up your car.

BTW, why are you not considering the Baleno, Esteem and Aveo too? These are good cars too in their own right.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 11:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would blindly suggest Palio 1.6 Sports, undoubtly the Hottest hatch in the country, hell of a Car to drive!

If you really need boot, Petra 1.6 ELX would be the right choice!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 12:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

I recently got my car serviced from Ashwamegh and they did have few Petra ELX. If you are looking for boot and need a good highway cruiser, you can pick up Petra. Pick it up in Thunderblack. (That reminds me of putting up my car pics).

If you decide to pick up Palio 1.6, go for canary yellow. It looks HOT....
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 12:25   #5

Thanks a lot friens..
RX135 whats special about Petra & how much it cost you?
actually I fall in love with those Fiat models even though some of my friens feel I'm stupid.
I visited Jay-vijay one month back & I feel there is a room for good bargaining.
apart from this I like fiats build quality amd power.
Old 7th November 2006, 13:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel-X
Thanks a lot friens..
RX135 whats special about Petra & how much it cost you?
actually I fall in love with those Fiat models even though some of my friens feel I'm stupid.
Not just some of friends, most of the folks you know, will think so I bought it around 1.8 years back for 5.5L. I got total 63K discount that time, which was not bad. Too many folks tried to pursuade me to go for other cars, but I opted for Petra and not for a day, I had to revisit my decision.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 17:11   #7
BHPian

I am another proud owner of Petra ELPS. Its almost 20 months old and I have never had any problems with it.

It costed me 5.72 lac on road in Bangalore.
If you plan for long trips, Better opt for petra because it has a good 500 litre boot which really helps for weekend trips.
Ride and build quality of Fiats are better than other cars in this segment, and at par with cars in 7-10 lacs car's segment.

test drive and feel it by yourself

GD

Last edited by greatDrive : 7th November 2006 at 17:20.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 21:27   #8

Thanks for reply Greatdrive,

I just wonder what is the real top speed of this dynamite power plant and is there any real worry regarding the body roll ?
Old 8th November 2006, 10:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:

I just wonder what is the real top speed of this dynamite power plant and is there any real worry regarding the body roll ?
I have never drove it above 145km/hr as I dont have tubeless tryes, but people here say that it can touch 185-190km/hr. Body roll does exist with stock tyres and can be overcome by going for low profile tyres like 195/60/R14.

GD
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 10:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got mine for a whopping 4.9L OTR, Mumbai - with Finance discount. It is a 1.6 EL. Date of purchase April 2005.

I am running stock tyres and I have taken it to 170 kmph. Body roll is present when you are making sharp left handers at speeds above 70kmph. But I have done gentler curves at 150 and not felt a hint of bodyroll. It is all in how you attack the corners.

BTW, the 170 kmph was on the expressway and while I was teaching an Octavia a lesson. I could feel the guy slowing down significantly on the curves while I was going through without a problem.

My only regret with my choice - I did not wait longer. The newer Petras look better and even the Adventure is available now. Otherwise, everytime I drive my car I feel a grin coming to my face - something no other car has given me.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 8th November 2006 at 10:45.
Old 8th November 2006, 11:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
BTW, the 170 kmph was on the expressway and while I was teaching an Octavia a lesson. I could feel the guy slowing down significantly on the curves while I was going through without a problem.
OT - My guess is that that is more a factor of your driving skills than the petra's superior cornering stability vis-a-vis an octavia.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 12:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
OT - My guess is that that is more a factor of your driving skills than the petra's superior cornering stability vis-a-vis an octavia.
IMO, the Octavia should be far more stable in a straightline. But I don't know about corners. It was an Octavia (not an RS), so I am guessing it is a bit more sluggish through a curve.

These were not tight corners that I am talking about. They were the more gentle ones that greet you once you cross the toll booth and move onto Mumbai. I was a bit surprised when the guy kept falling back. On the straight he would summon all that phenomenal torque to try and overtake me. I would see him growing in the mirror and all I had to do was press the pedal down and I would be speeding away till the next curve and then he would start falling back pretty quick.

But then again, maybe the driver was getting a bit cautious. Dunno mate.
Old 8th November 2006, 13:39   #13

Hi typeOnegative, When I looking at petra and Adventure more confused than petra and palio. overall What do u think which is a practical car. Still I can not make up my mind between them. I'll be coming to Pune by friday from offshore. & I have plan to buy one of this car once I reach pune.
Old 8th November 2006, 16:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The Adventure is one car that is suddenly gaining takers. We have 2 in our office parking - both in red. And it looks great. Boot space (one of your priorities) would be more than Petra. FE could be of concern, but since you have not mentioned it as a criteria, I guess it can be ignored. Between the Petra and the Adventure, I would pick the latter.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Both are practical in their own way. Here is how you can judge:

Adventure:
Good off-roader
More space - station wagon concept
Better on road presence

Petra:
Superb highway cruiser
Huge boot
Sedan

The disadvantage you will find with the Adventure will be the parking. Otherwise I would pick the Adventure. The Petra is good in its own way but does not have as much oomph.