Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 15th November 2006, 16:37   #1
BHPian

Default Car Around 5Lakhs ??

Hi Everybody,

My first post and reason for joining this club is the same .... my confusion in finalizing a car in and around the 5 lakh budget. This is my first step into the 4 wheeler forte' hence I would really appreciate your help.

I started with the Maruti Swift VXi and still somehow clinging to it. The Swift has a decent power of 87bhp@6000rpm. At 4.5Lakhs after all discounts and all this is pretty impressive. I did have a look at Getz but with few 10 thousands more I do not get the features as I am getting from the maruti stable. Then came Santro which I did not like because of it's shape. Soon after was the Palio which looked excellent but for the dealer and the spare part issues. The only thing which shook my firm fate of going with the Swift was the Esteem which although outdated, very well serves my purpose (So does Swift).

So it narrowed down to Swift VXi vs Esteem VXi.

Stabilty, Swift vs Esteem ??
Mileage, Swift vs Esteem ??
Interior Space, Swift vs Esteem ??
Price Difference : 50K

Quality of the car as in problems in Esteem ??

If anyone one has any other suggestions other than the 2 pictured out over here, please let me know along with the querries to the above mentioned concerns.

Thanks !!
Old 15th November 2006, 17:46   #2
BHPian

While waiting for replies I started looking into the site and saw the craze for palio and checked out few other online sites too on the reviews of palio. As I am not in India now I would not be able to check out the features and the onroad prices of these models and unfortunately there is no site too for Fiat India where I can check the details ....

more confusion Swift vs Esteem vs Palio !!! HELP !!!

PN : I understand that these cars are not in the same segment but a sane advice would be appreciated .. Thanks !!
Old 15th November 2006, 18:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP Abhishek! Here's my opinion to your questions:

1. Stability - Has to be the Swift since the Esteem has a known problem of feeling "Floaty" especially at high-speeds.

2. Mileage/Fuel Consumption - Would be the Esteem due to its lighter weight.

3. Interior space - Swift since the Esteem being an old car is pretty cramped inside especially in the rear.

I would suggest you go for the Swift since it's a newer car with better space, interiors & build quality. She also is a nice car to drive. So unless you really need the boot space I would suggest it over the Esteem.
Old 15th November 2006, 18:29   #4
BHPian

Thanks Raghava but I am getting really fickle minded with this decision of moving into the 4 wheeler segment and within this few minutes of a wait for a reply I have 2 more cars .. rather 3 more in consideration ... Palio 1.2, Palio 1.6 and the Ford Ikon Flair.

My requirement as of now is not ruled by 3-box, hatchback or anything but to any car which is a pleasure to drive and low in cost of ownership and maintenance although I have a catch of the car being around the 5 Lakh budget.

What say ??
Old 25th November 2006, 16:00   #5
BHPian

After a frantic search for a Palio 1.2 Sports I gave up as all dealers replied with a negative to availability. Net result, settling for the Maruti Swift. Just wanted to confirm this before booking .... does Swift have a better seating in the rear seat than the Esteem ?
Old 26th November 2006, 23:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what you are looking for. They are both pretty bad actually. Esteem is pretty low, getting in and out of car is difficult while Swift's rear seat is cramped. But then, its best to check them out and decide for yourself.
Old 26th November 2006, 23:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

For the record, spare parts (not all) of Swift are cheaper than Esteem like the Headlamps n bumper etc...
Old 27th November 2006, 01:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you go in for the Swift. Should serve your purposes very well.
Old 27th November 2006, 01:05   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

hey why not a GETZ? i'd say sit in a Swift and then sit in a Getz then make up your mind.
Old 27th November 2006, 10:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Swift Vs Esteem -> Swift

Go for the Swift you will not repent at any stage.
Old 27th November 2006, 11:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Swift is a great car. But why don't you test drive one before booking one actually. I visited a maruti showroom and have found many new swifts on their true value stable. many of them run around 10k mark. Asked the fellow there and found that he couldn't give a convicing reply. But i had to put my thoughts in. He was saying there are some visibility issues etc. I know a person in my office resently sold the swift after 3 months after complaining about engine issues. Can't rely on anything as of now. But the fact is there are more swifts in true value now a days. Be sure on what you pay. You might be able to find out the real story.
I went in with my friend searching for a Wagon-R and the sales guy asked why not a swift. This is defenitely not a good inidcator.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

Swift vs Esteem VXI. Esteem any day!

Swift owners are reporting too many problems right from engine issues to body creakes to suspensiion issues which is a very unhealthy sign for a car so new in the market.

Why don't you look at Getz? Apart from its low mileage, its a fantastic car
Old 27th November 2006, 15:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

I missed this point. Many may not like though! If you ask me, if you have the cash, better option go for OHC. Fantastic car!
Old 27th November 2006, 15:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a frantic search for a Palio 1.2 Sports I gave up as all dealers replied with a negative to availability.
non avaliablity of the Palio 1.2? Are the dealers smoking dope? Fiat hardly sells any Palio's, these guys should be falling all over themselves to sell you the car! Or maybe they have almost cleared the stock to make way for the refreshed Palio.

Between the Esteem and Swift, I'd buy the Swift blindly. The Esteem is terribly outdated and way past it's sell by date. Also remember that the Swift scored top stars in safety. The Esteem will never match the Swift in safety.
Old 27th November 2006, 19:05   #15
BHPian

Default Decided upon Swift VXi-ABS

Hi Guys !!!

After reading all the replies I am still skeptical about my as I have decided to go for the Swift VXi ABS. The only car as I analyzed would have easily changed my decision would be the availability of a 1.2 F.Red Palio Sports .. but allas... Would be booked by one of my family members in a day or 2 to avail the 40K discount and after I return to India I will spend time in getting things right like upgrading to 185/65 R15s, Alloys, Music System etc etc.

Thanks for the suggestions !!

Topic Can now be closed !!!
Closed Thread