Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 7th December 2006, 05:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Tips needed for buying a Used Zen

I'm in the lookout for a used Zen which is going to be used as my 2nd car for the next 2-3 years.

Help me to clear my doubts....
  • What are the important points to be taken care off (specifically) when buying a old Zen ?
  • Which are the main problematic areas of Zen ?
  • Will there be any shortage of spare parts for the next 3-4 years after the Estilo launch ?
  • Is it always better to go for the MPFI models ?
  • I've heard that the 1st MPFI version is having 55 BHP & the last model is having 60 BHP. Is that true ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 12:08   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
  • Will there be any shortage of spare parts for the next 3-4 years after the Estilo launch ?
I remember reading somwhere that Maruti would guarantee availability of spare parts for at least 10 years. Might be wise to check with someone "in the know" however.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 13:35   #3
BHPian

i think now old zen rate will come down in next 3-6 month bcoz new zen estilo is avilable from 3 lac odds... I would go for new one insted ging for old one...
deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 14:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Used Zen

Quote:
I'm in the lookout for a used Zen which is going to be used as my 2nd car for the next 2-3 years.

• What are the important points to be taken care off (specifically) when buying a old Zen ?
  • I've heard that the 1st MPFI version is having 55 BHP & the last model is having 60 BHP. Is that true ?
1.Problematic areas--steering wobbling due to old tyres or poor balancing,improper suspension(lower arm is not as strong as the Esteem),poor a/c and pick up on the old carb models
2.MPFI is anyday a better bet particularly in large cities.I don't know if Cochin allows carb cars to be registered now.
3.Zen spares would be available for many years..after all Premier Padmini was out in 1996 but spares are freely available even now.So you can safely bet on five years
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 14:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

As far as spares are concerned, you can be rest assured that maruthi will not let you down. they do have some sort of a system that ensures availablilty of spares.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 05:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

How long will the suspension setup of a Zen last without any problems or without any need for overhauling ?
Old 9th December 2006, 07:01   #7
BHPian

@speedometer - the zen MPFI always had a 16v 60bhp engine.
I own a 2001 MPFI zen and its always advisable to avoid teh carb version.
the regular probs are steering wobble, ground clearance, front suspension(bottoms really fast) and leg room.
but its the best city car and very nimble. Spares will never be an issue for atleast 10yrs from now and its cheap as well.
Its the best car to afford after a bike.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 08:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Better buy from Maruti true value... Price may be 10-15k more... But, its better peace of mind

I bought a car from tru value too... They give one year warranty on any problems... My light and indicator combi switch got replaced free, after about four months...

Also, i'd say go for the MPfi versions...
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 13:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How long will the suspension setup of a Zen last without any problems or without any need for overhauling ?
This depends primarily on the type of roads andalso the number of twists and turns(expecially during parking).Typically,on average roads,40000 kms is what I have seen.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 17:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedometer View Post
just comfirmed from maruti...in 2000 the zen was indeed launched with a 8v mpfi engine after which it was replaced with a 16 V engine.Not many know about this
buddy my pal owns a june 2000 zen. its a 16v MPFI engine and the very first from the MPFI batch. u want me to post the pic of the engine and the markings?
and yeah if a maruti dealer has told u about this, its pure bull****.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 05:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

What will be case of availability of body parts in the case of accidental damage ? For example, if the rear side trunk door got smashed as a result of a crash, will the replacement part be available since the old Zen is stopped ?
Old 29th August 2007, 19:42   #12
BHPian

Try to go for the MPFI Zen, the pickup and A/C is much better, I drive a 99 carb zen and the low end torque and A/C performence is really poor, Mileage is again a very debatable on the Zen, some say they get 14-16 kmpl that too with A/C 100%, I never got more than 10.3 with 90% A/C and ingeneral only get between 8-9 kmpl with 90% A/C usage. Though I got to admit that there is something about the Zen when you are inside one, I guess it's cosy in there, but my reply to your query above would be simple, avoid the carb zen and try and crack a good deal on the MPFI one.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 01:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:

No probs as far as the spares are concerned for the next 2-3 years. Good car only if one were a single driver max with one passenger!
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote