Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th December 2006, 21:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

@ROMS, That was hilarious. I was about to post that, but then noticed that you have put it down well.

For others, before shooting down any car, please be more specific than, "you'll have issues", "make sensible choice", "service is poor", "quality is not good and will not be trouble free". Palio is definitely not god-sent-gift to Indians and will have its share of problems. But, please be more specific about exact reasons. Funny thing is none of Palio owners complained about it, though others had every good reason on earth to discard it due to service issues and FE

I like Swift and Palio 1.6 both, so it's difficult to choose one. Most likely, I would have gone for Canary Yellow Palio though.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 22:29   #17

Default thanks

hi guys,

Thanks for the mails! Most of you have adviced me for the swift. But as you said it is cramped for space.Also I am not too concerned about the FE (I own 2 bullets and a Yamaha RD 350-Gives me average of 15kmpl,but its a beast on the road).Also the average of both the cars are almost the same. A plus point i see in Palio is the service part being taken by TATA.

Talked to a few Palio owners in Indore one being my collegue.He doesnt have any Qualms about the service.Also told me that the vehcle sticks to the road even of high speeds.
augustus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 23:29   #18
BHPian

The question is if Palio 1.6 is available at all! If you are going for 1.2 then I think its better to go for 1.1 thats gonna launch soon.
I am hoping fiat officials will reply my mail about 1.6 being available on order as I want one too....but its been a day already and I dont think they have time or inclination to reply.
If you have made up your mind on 1.6, lets order two from them !

Siddharth
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 08:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus23 View Post
Also the average of both the cars are almost the same.

Talked to a few Palio owners in Indore one being my collegue.He doesnt have any Qualms about the service.Also told me that the vehcle sticks to the road even of high speeds.
It is proved yet again! Palio owners have no qualms about mileage and Service issues, but those who don't own a Palio face these issues badly, funny, isn't it?
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 09:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It is proved yet again! Palio owners have no qualms about mileage and Service issues, but those who don't own a Palio face these issues badly, funny, isn't it?
Yep. Being able to drive a Palio makes it all worth it. That goes to say a lot about the car itself.

I'm a Palio 1.2 owner myself (2002, ELX PS). If I had to sell my car and buy another car now, I would run (not walk) to the showroom to make sure I get a new Palio 1.2 (It would have been the 1.6, had it still been available). Once you drive a Palio, there's no turning back.

As for the rest of the "service issues", sweeeeeeet misery would be a good way to describe it. You grin and bear it, so that you can keep driving a Palio.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 13:56   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

if its your first car and going by the bikes you own,its quite apparent that you love performance and not too fussy about f.e.swifts aren't exactly very solidly built(maruti syndrome) and rattles crop up early in its life.hell i have seen my friends swift..the seat rail jammed 2 days after delivery.i am not at any point of time saying that swift isnt a good car.both the swift and the palio have their strong and weak points.you have to figure out whether the weak points can be lived with.confirm with your friend about the palio 1.6.its a very good car.solidly built,good ride,amazing performance.All these three factors are missing from the swift.
as far as after sales support is concerned,after the tata-fiat tie up,it has improved a lot.
and to get the f.e factor into account, a palio 1.6 will give you 8-9kmpl whereas a swift will give you 10-11kmpl in the city.again it depends on your driving style.
go for the palio 1.6...
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 14:59   #22
BHPian

As you have mentioned that you are more of bike guy and more into perfomance oriented driving then If you like the perfomance of the swift then go for it absolutely blind choice however if you are more impressed by the palio 1.6 then go for it considering that fiat is not known for its realibility ,your s10 friend would inform you more about the same.See its simple if you want to buy a car with your head go for the swift otherwise your heart would definitely lead you towards the palio which has a very good mid range.My recommendation would be the swift because it has got adequate perfomance and very good handling( I took a sharp left hander on it at 110 kph without any trouble) to satisfy and stiil if you want the perfomance levels of the palio you can get it modded .
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 00:13   #23
BHPian

Well,I'm that friend of his who also suggested to join T-Bhp and seek advice of other Bhpians since this is augutus' first foray in the four wheeler segment.My decision was clearly based on my experience of owning a FIAT PALIO(S-10)since the last 3 years.I also own a Maruti Zen(1998)
Never had a service/spares issue...bought the car from Pune in Nov' 03 when I was based in Indore.At that time,the dealer in Indore had quit.Subsequently,shifted to Bhopal.The only dealer in Bhopal gave me excellent first three free services before he too quit.Later on ,around 25K,due to bad roads in M.P,I had to replace the front struts.There was a FIAT authorised service station in Bhopal (identified by FIAT INDIA after I wrote to them)who ordered the set from outside the state and did the job for me!!! ... and we talk about bad A.S.S.
I won't dwell more into why FIAT or why not Swift or vice versa as there are a lot of threads and views on the strengths and weaknesses of both products and their respective manufacturers...Finally it boils down to one's personal perference for owning a car..For me I just love driving whether its a Zen,a Premier padmini or any other car but if the car offers performance,handling,stability ,durability and reliability in one package(like the palio) at an affordable price/cost of ownership then i have no reasons to hate the product/manufacturer or for that matter point fingers at other products..since I have never owned a SWIFT...I would not be in a position to recommend someone to buy it...thats why the decision to ask augustus to join the community and seek advice.
Have never regretted buying and owning the FIAT...As Top Gear Jun '06 issue has aptly put it in their Top 10 cars selection....
"NO,it doesn't sell,NO it isn't particularly fuel efficient.No it it's not the easiest car to live with.But yes,we love,love this hatchback.And thats not because of Michael Shumacher or Sachin Tendulkar,or because we feel some sympathy.It's beacuse it stands out as something deliciously different in a market that panders completely to the bean counting,nappy wiping family.And because its got a soul,something that far too many cars lack."...the last line makes me fall in love with the car with each passing day.
rahulvilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 18:24   #24
BHPian

From your biking background, you will be more than happy with FIAT cars, cos you will end up choosing a car for its merit...just the same reason why you chose the yezdi against the Hero Honda Splendour plus
Each one has its own advantage and own benefits....

I dont want to completely discount people who have actually had issues with service... there is a problem with availability of spares which I heard will be addressed once the factory in Pune will be operational...whether I would trust those words is something I dont want to answer, but there is always hope....Also TATA service isnt upto the mark anyways, Again its relative to what we compare....Having said that, the level of service and spares availability set by Maruti is hard to match.... So comparison of Maruti service with FIAT is different from comparing, say Ford/Skoda service to FIAT... (a closer fight )

One thing to note is that petra and adventure will be continued, palio will get a facelift...so you can test drive them too before deciding....Usually cars loose quite a lot of resale value after a new model is released...and with fiat x2!!)

All the best
Kvish
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 22:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvilas View Post
Never had a service/spares issue...bought the car from Pune in Nov' 03 when I was based in Indore.At that time,the dealer in Indore had quit.Subsequently,shifted to Bhopal.The only dealer in Bhopal gave me excellent first three free services before he too quit.Later on ,around 25K,due to bad roads in M.P,I had to replace the front struts.There was a FIAT authorised service station in Bhopal (identified by FIAT INDIA after I wrote to them)who ordered the set from outside the state and did the job for me!!! ... and we talk about bad A.S.S.
Think of all those who stayed in Indore and cursed the fact that there was no Fial dealer in Indore. A relative of mine is in Indore and was very upset that the only Fial dealer in whole of M.P. was in Bhopal. The idea of driving 180 kms to get his Fiat fixed was not his idea of good a.s.s.

Now with Tata servicing Fiat, things are probably different.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 11:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
At that time,the dealer in Indore had quit.Subsequently,shifted to Bhopal.The only dealer in Bhopal gave me excellent first three free services before he too quit.Later on ,around 25K,due to bad roads in M.P,I had to replace the front struts.There was a FIAT authorised service station in Bhopal (identified by FIAT INDIA after I wrote to them)who ordered the set from outside the state and did the job for me!!! ... and we talk about bad A.S.S.
Rahul.... You should read your post once again. It is so confusing. Somebody has to change city to get good A.S.S. or find another dealer ?? Well that's not positive advertisement at all.BTW I am also from indore and hardly seen Palio out there. Ohhhh yes I forgot they might have shifted to Bhopal It seems.
@ augus, " Palio '1.6' " no doubt is a good vehicle. Very solidly built and nice to drive. Whether you buy a Palio or a swift ...you wont go wrong either way. I love both the vehicles. Just check other things like dealer/*** and so and then decide.
@ROMS.... Nice exaggeration
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 23:23   #27
BHPian

[HTML]Think of all those who stayed in Indore and cursed the fact that there was no Fial dealer in Indore. A relative of mine is in Indore and was very upset that the only Fial dealer in whole of M.P. was in Bhopal. The idea of driving 180 kms to get his Fiat fixed was not his idea of good a.s.s.
[/HTML]

I said the dealer in Indore had quit..it did not mean the service station too had closed down.As far as I know that service station was open for one year after the dealer had closed down.It was near Bombay Hospital on ring road.
Old 22nd December 2006, 23:50   #28
BHPian

[HTML]Rahul.... You should read your post once again. It is so confusing. Somebody has to change city to get good A.S.S. or find another dealer ?? Well that's not positive advertisement at all.BTW I am also from indore and hardly seen Palio out there. Ohhhh yes I forgot they might have shifted to Bhopal It seems.
[/HTML]

Ajay.. read it once again..If you don't understand...ask someone preferably your English teacher to comprehend it for you.The message never says I changed a city to get good A.S.S or find another dealer and if you didn't see any palios in Indore then its your bad luck.
That city has missed out on a good product is all I can say.
Old 23rd December 2006, 13:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I said the dealer in Indore had quit..it did not mean the service station too had closed down.As far as I know that service station was open for one year after the dealer had closed down.It was near Bombay Hospital on ring road.
Eventually that service station closed down and that was a fact.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 15:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Palio 1.6, a dream machine will not be available... I believe all the stock is cleared out... FIAT is coming up with 1.1 L facelifted Palio in Jan. Though the most disappointing thing I heard is, its interiors are not changed.. Anyways if you are fan of 1.6 engine, go for Adventure or Petra.. Anyways, if you want a smooth service with a "not so much" fun to drive car, go for Swift/Getz..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport
Hang on, there is no official news about discountinuing 1.6 Sport. I agree that they cleared the existing stock from their kurla plant due to their shift to Ranjangaon. That means no stock available except those with the dealers.

The new stock will come from Ranjangaon plant soon after the current trial runs which are happening at there. I heard from FIAT that the Face lift is only with the new 1.1 engine and for others there is no firm answer from them, but they mentioned others will continue as same as what it's today.
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote