Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 31st December 2006, 14:39   #1
BHPian

Default Aveo U-VA or Swift or Getz? Confused...

Hi all
We are to replace our 2000 Mpfi Zen LX, which has done 1,42,000kms. Its started giving minor problems now (the water pump was replaced 2 days back!) but is still giving 14-15kmpl in Delhi (w/o A/c). But I think time has come to replace it with a small car (already have a big one, the Ikon 1.6 zxi)

Our choices were the Wagon R, New Zen, Getz or the Swift.

Wagon R : already have one, so its ruled out
New Zen : we drove it. Now the problem is I m 6feet, 85kgs and my dad is 6'2" and we have broad shoulders and the new zen is too cramped for us. So its out.
Getz : Didnt love the interiors, but otherwise its quite good.
Swift : A good option, and we are inclined towards it

And now we have the U-VA... heard its good but yet to drive it. Plus pricing seems quite impressive for what it is...

Can ya guys help me out select a car out of the Getz/Swift and the U-VA...
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 16:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

I feel as per TBHP rules you need to post this in What Car Section.

Right now race is between Swift and UVA. I suggest Swift because of few advantage you can plan to take although swift is not practical car for sure.

Swift is good choice because UVA is new car. After having 2 Maruti cars you can bargain for more discount If you go for Swift. If you look for value for money buy either VXI or VXI with ABS or pick up ZXI. I read discount for swift is aprox. 30K so it will work out great deal compared with UVA.

Since UVA is new car no discount available right now.

Now About UVA If you are not bothered about resale value, not so good service, no peppy performance on highway buy UVA without thinking. It has every other class leading features comapred with Swift/Getz/Palio.

Choose right variant of UVA which will suit your requirement. GM's service is good but in India it still has to create good name badge. Right now only MUL, Hyundai known for good service since they rule the market.

Of course choice is yours.

You may wait for New Palio which is due in 1 month. Since you stay @Delhi I am sure you can find good service station for Pailo. If you don't like Fiat don't even think about Palio.

All the best!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 31st December 2006 at 16:30.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 17:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Hi all
We are to replace our 2000 Mpfi Zen LX, which has done 1,42,000kms. Its started giving minor problems now (the water pump was replaced 2 days back!) but is still giving 14-15kmpl in Delhi (w/o A/c). But I think time has come to replace it with a small car (already have a big one, the Ikon 1.6 zxi)
Our choices were the Wagon R, New Zen, Getz or the Swift.
Wagon R : already have one, so its ruled out
New Zen : we drove it. Now the problem is I m 6feet, 85kgs and my dad is 6'2" and we have broad shoulders and the new zen is too cramped for us. So its out.
Getz : Didnt love the interiors, but otherwise its quite good.
Swift : A good option, and we are inclined towards it
And now we have the U-VA... heard its good but yet to drive it. Plus pricing seems quite impressive for what it is...
Can ya guys help me out select a car out of the Getz/Swift and the U-VA...
Bunny bhai...

Do you have three cars??? I mean, the ikon, the wagonR and the Zen???

Having seen you drive (Did have some trouble keeping up with the GIR truck, that too in a P180) ... I say, the Swift would be a better product for you... U-VA would mean a bit more space, but from the specs, the car seems to be under-powered...

Also, there are good discounts on the Swift, right??? Which should it better value than the U-VA...

From a test drive, someone had posted that U-VA is not that peppy, and you need to work through the gears... If the gearshift of the UVA is anything like Aveo...

Anyway... Better wait for a TD of U-VA before deciding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
Now About UVA If you are not bothered about resale value, not so good service, no peppy performance on highway buy UVA without thinking. It has every other class leading features comapred with Swift/Getz/Palio.
Can you please explain what all these features are???

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st December 2006 at 17:33.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 17:48   #4
BHPian

If you are inclined towards the swift, go for it and you woudnt regret it.

With loyalty discounts, the Zxi version would be a better bet.

The crdi ones of all the hatchbacks will be out in a few months but i somehow feel they will not be fun to drive and would only be fuel efficient.

happy decision making..
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 18:07   #5
BHPian

well, i dont really much care about performance (for perf i have the 1.6 zxi) , i need a car with good low rev response for city use and this is where the U-VA comes in... plus the space factor.. fuel economy wise if the swift will give 13kmpl and the U-VA 11kmpl in similar traffic sense in delhi, and driven for 1500kms a month, the difference would be around 900bucks (fuel in delhi is around 45 a litre)
Yes, there is piece of mind in the Swift but it lacks space wrt U-VA..
i m totally confused between the two, a test drive tomm of the U-VA may help matters.
Thanks all..

PS : I was an ex journo, not any more, so those wondering why a journo is posting threads like these please understand.. thanks again

Mods : can you shift the topic to 'what car' section
Old 31st December 2006, 21:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well i suggest since you are going for a test drive for the uva, also go for the test drive for the swift again...its better to compare...atleast for me...had a choice for an 10lakh car..but then decided to split the 10 and go 5-5...so 5 was the budget..for a small car.

we test drove the wagon r 1st...then the swift and around 10mins later the getz..(showrooms being on the same street)..fell in love with the swift...iam 5'11"...and fit easily into the swift be it the front or the rear seats.no problem of head room either. leg room at the back is pretty decent too.performance nothing compared to our ikons but then pretty good for a small car.dont know why but the swifts are not tht great at FE, give me around 8/9.overall a good car.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 21:11   #7
BHPian

have ridden the swift a lot in pune, yet to drive the u-va (tomm or day after)
will be able to decide once i do that...
and yeah, the swift has around 25-30k of discounts going on, so will be cheaper too. its gettin tougher!
Old 31st December 2006, 21:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

if performance is not big on your menu, as u mentioned, why not think the cars with the crdi engines. Swift 1.3 JTD would be good , but I read somewhere that you would like more space. I think the Hyundai Getz crdi would come in with better performance, will suggest that u wait for it unless u r in a hurry.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote