Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 3rd January 2007, 23:06   #1
BHPian

Default Santro booking cancelled-what next?

Hi,

I had a deal with trident-bangalore for santro XO,with year end discounts for the exchange of zen,
First of all, i don't like the santro, but the year end offer's attracted me to book , after booking on 27th dec, i got the chance to ride my friend's 2004 santro xing, 15k done, i don't like a drive compare to my peppy old zen, on 30th dec the sales person are not ready to make delivery on 31st dec. & he asked me to pay extra 10k, bcaz of under quote for my zen, so this encouraged me cancell the deal & sold my zen to same agent for good price, god only saved me from santro!!!

I took the test drive of Estilo, i feel some sluggish in 3rd gear, easy handling, good interiors, exterior looks not impressive, asked for chevy uva, test drive only after 10th jan, we can't compare GM with maruti in ***, i wan't VFM car, thinking togo for SWIFT Vxi red, i want to keep the car for next minimum 5yrs peacefully,
so, dear BHPians this is the time to give me a valuable suggetion's.

Off late - Wishing you a happy & safe driving in new year 2007
subbarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Try the U-VA. GM products arent that bad. The U-VA is a daewoo same as the matiz which was a good car.

I have a good feeling about the U-VA. do test drive it and take your decision only after.

GM are on their way up. The Optra is a very good car so is the Aveo. It's just that their competition is very strong.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Well, Santro isn't exactly a performance car, although mine has almost become one.

You need to be more clear on what you expect from your next car. All we know is that you don't like VFM cars like Santro and Estilo although you want a VFM car.

What is in your wishlist, priority wise and weightage wise?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:39   #4
BHPian

Swift would be a very good buy. Go for it.
grvanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 00:17   #5
BHPian

Just had a ride in the Swift.I have test driven the car before but that was a long time back when it was launched.I was not very impressed then.
But today I got a chance to analyse this car from the passenger seat.
The first impression I got was that the car is very refined and smooth.It just feels so much different from any other Maruti.Actually it feels a notch above the Esteem or Baleno as far as refinement and NVH levels are concerned.The quality of plastics is pretty good and definitely better than Palio or Indica.The front seat was comfortable but leg space was at premium.My knee was constantly resting on the dashboard.And if I took my seat behind,it would make things difficult for the rear passenger.The car does not have that airy feel.The Indica in comparison feels very airy and comfy .Talking of air, the a/c was mind blowing.So much so that I was compelled to find a "Sulabh Shauchalay" on the road (err wash room).The car is so refined that it was difficult to judge if the a/c compressor was cutting out at all.

The had found the car a bit sluggish when I test drove it.But this car felt pretty comfortable pulling 4 full sized men with a/c on even at low revs.But it does not give you that "kick in the back" feel like my Palio 1.6 does.

All in all,I was very impressed with the quality of the thing.Good car.Hope the initial quality glitches have been taken care off.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 05:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey bro,
check out the Getz. With the discounts being offered, she makes a good deal.
Otherwise the only other option is the swift but i am not sure about the low end pickup. Have heard its quite poor.
Hw about the new Palio 1.1? Its bigger, more comfortable. But i am not sure about the performance from the 1.1lt engine.

Vid,
the UV-A is the Aveo Hatchback.
You are talking about the Spark which is not going to be launcehd for another year or so.
Cheers
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 09:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

swift is a good option...i think you should stick to maruti...the most reliable of the lot...
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 10:04   #8
BHPian

Default Santro booking cancelled-what next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You need to be more clear on what you expect from your next car. All we know is that you don't like VFM cars like Santro and Estilo although you want a VFM car.

What is in your wishlist, priority wise and weightage wise?

Hi,

I know all maruti cars are VFM only, As i already enjoyed peppy drive of zen, i don't want to take any risk in ***, i can compromise on 1 or 2kms on FE, compared to zen 14-15kms, santro ruled out, Wagon R last priority & estilo can be considered, as i having budget of 4.5L, & daily usage will be 15kms, weekend another 50kms, only in b'lore traffic, ocassional long drive, so thinking go for SWIFT. comments on this please............
subbarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

You cant go wrong with the swift. Currently if you consider drivability, refinement and no-headache service, there is no match for swift in its segment (ofcourse there is the Getz, but looks like some people dont want it). You usually face problems with spares etc., when the card is less reliable which is not the case with a maruti. I have a 99 Zen and all I have replaced is front A arms and some components of steering column. I have driven 98000 kms in all types of terrain.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 11:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

U-VA has a 1.2 76bhp engine and is a largish heavy car. If you feel the swift is sluggish, U-VA will be even more so. My suggestion is stretch your budget a bit and go for ZXI, especially if you are keeping car for 5 years and driving yourself. It has a lot of features, including for safety, of cars a couple of segments above. When you can, put in lighter coloured seat covers/door panels. Most swift owners report 10-12km/l in city, 17-19 highway.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The U-VA is a daewoo same as the matiz which was a good car.

The UVA is not the Matiz. The UVA is the hatch back version of the Aveo which is based on the Daewoo Lanos (I think Lanos is wrong!? or Nubira?), and was also called the Daewoo Kalos.

The Daewoo Matiz is to be relaunched as the Chevy Spark, albeit with a 1 liter engine.

but would the Chevy Spark with a 1.2 liter engine be more sprightly??

Last edited by superavi : 4th January 2007 at 12:01.
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 12:00   #12
BHPian

I had a look at U-VA. It is much more spacious than Swift and Getz. The leg space in the rear and boot are both larger than Swift.

The torque and power is less compared Swift while the weight is more than Swift. This theoritically means sluggish performance compared to Swift.

The Steering wheel adjustment in U-VA is a plus.

The interiors are dark in Swift while they are gray in U-VA. However, I personally like the interiors of Swift.

The Vxi and second level version of U-VA are comparable in features. However pricewise Swift is cheaper(with 22K cash discount). Swift will cost 4.68L OTR Blore while Aveo U-VA will cost around 5L OTR. The secons version of U-VA has 13 Inch steel wheels while Swift has 14 inch wheels.

Summary,
Positives of Swift: Price, Maruti service, Power
Positives of U-VA: Larger leg space and boot.
Aeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 12:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Subba Rao,

Since you didnt like driving the Santro, chances are, Estilo and WagonR arent going to impress you much either.
Your best bet is a Swift, or a Palio 1.6.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 12:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

You could also wait for the New Palio 1.1, you get all sedan car comforts(minus boot) at a price of a small Car.
Yes, Service is not so widespread as Maruti or Hyundai, but is decent in major cities and should improve in coming months.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 12:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think you should look at the Chevy UV-A and the Xeta 1.4. Both are much more spacious cars for around the same kind of money. Getz is very nice too, but I'm not sure if it is still expensive as it was when launched.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote