Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 19th January 2007, 06:08   #1
BHPian

Default Need small Car for Modding

Hey Guys

I sold off my Matiz the other day and now I'm looking for a small Car for Modding. The car will be self driven with the exception of Our Driver who will be driving it occassionally when I'm out of Station.

I have zeroed in on the Zen (old jelly bean type).

I'm a bit worried about the availability of parts as I am planning to keep the car for 5 or more years.

An engine swap is also on my mind down the line - (The TBhp bug has bit me)

I found a 2003 model Zen for 1.7 lakhs. (Negotiable to a small extent, I think)
Is the price too much for a 2003 model?

Suggestions are welcomed..

Puia.
Gtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 12:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If your need is a small car + engine swap, its hard to beat the Zen. But if you are going to throw the stock engine anyways, why go for a 2003 car?

Another option you can consider for speed + modifications is the Fiat Palio 1.6. Dirt cheap and fast out of the box. However, the modability may be a little restricted compared to options available for the Zen.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 14:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go in for a pre-2003 model Zen, as GTO rightly mentioned. Scrap that engine, put in a Baleno engine and you've got a B-zen. But dont just count on the engine costs, as the suspension,braking etc costs also involved. So see what suits you. All the best.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 14:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If your need is a small car + engine swap, its hard to beat the Zen. But if you are going to throw the stock engine anyways, why go for a 2003 car?

Another option you can consider for speed + modifications is the Fiat Palio 1.6. Dirt cheap and fast out of the box. However, the modability may be a little restricted compared to options available for the Zen.

Changing such a new engine is a waste of money...
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 14:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

1.7 is costly. You can get Palio 1.6 for 1.5lac or so. Zen leads the pack in small cars when it comes to mods. Yah, why not a 1.3l engine into it or the 1.6 baleno engine
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 15:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you should go in for a 2nd hand palio 1.6 ..........
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 17:50   #7
BHPian

I'm not really considering the Palio 1.6. Not that it's a bad car but it gives way too less F.E. and there are no dealers here let alone a service station. I havn't seen one Fiat car in the Tata showroom till date.
(But, that 1.6 is a real sweet engine)

The Baleno engine is really tempting but won't I have to make changes to the gearbox also?
I'm happy if I can get a 1.3 esteem engine and maybe later change the head to a Swift gti one. (When I get more Vitamin-M)

All the modifications will be done by my mechanic who has never in his life done anything like this. So, I think the 1.3 will be the easiest to install. I think it is plug and play. (Am I correct??)
I'm not looking for an all out drag car but instead something that will handle twisty roads with ease. (And I mean really twisty roads)

Okay coming back to the topic...
Have dumped the 2003 Zen. Was too costly anyway.
But have found a 2000 (not too good condition) carb model for 1.2 - 1.4 lakhs. Will try to bargain a bit more when I go see the car.

Is 1.2 - 1.4 lakhs okay for a 2000 carb Zen? Kind of makes the 2003 Zen at 1.7 lakhs a better choice.
Have any of you bought a 2000 carb Zen? How much did you get it for???

Puia.
Gtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 19:00   #8
BANNED

If you're anyway considering an engine swap, then just get any Zen. Make sure the chasis and body is in good shape. The 2nd Zen you've found looks okay to me. You can try doing a bit more of blah blahs to get the price a bit more down.

1.3L Esteem engine with a turbo charger will make the car much powerful. Will prefer that to a B-Zen. You'll need to work a bit on the suspension to put it to the max usablity.

Another question; Are you going to use this car as your daily car? Otherwise, don't worry much about FE.
If yes, then consider the 1.3L engine only and Turbo can be avoided.

But again, think about it: Turbo charged E-Zen!!! Isn't it a bit too tempting??
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote