Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 27th January 2007, 09:33   #1
BHPian

Question Aveo1.4/Fiesta1.4/Swift Diesel

Hi Guys.
I am planning to upgrade from my santro to go in for a new car. I originally started off with 2 options in mind, the Aveo 1.4 and the Fiesta 1.4 I have test driven both the cars and my feedback is as follows.

Aveo - I like it for it looks, quality of materials used, comfort. The on road price works out to 6.35 lakhs after discount in Chennai

Fiesta - There is only 1 thing i like about it and thats its engine. Great driver appeal. Only factor im worried about ford is its maintenance, having owned an ikon 1.6 for 4 years. It works out to 6.55 lakhs.

WIth the introduction of the swift diesel, it makes it a worthwhile option to look at. It works out to 5.54 lakhs on road.

Here are my questions.
1 There is a common saying that if you dont drive atleast 100 km per day, then its not worth to go in for a diesel. I agree, if you compare the same car(swift petrol vs swift diesel). But if i compare the swift diesel against the aveo or the fiesta, im getting a car that is fun to drive, easy to maintain and cheap to run with new diesel technology. I do about 30 km per day on an average.
2. I plan to keep the car atleast for 4 years.
3. I plan to get married within th next year, and keeping that in mind, was wondering if the swift diesel is a good choice as a family car or not.
4. I suddenly realised, that if im going for the swift, i much rather go for the petrol option, since its 1 lakh cheaper.

Look forward to your suggestions and advice.

Thanks
Vignesh
kvigneshbhasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is a very good car coming up right in your budget. The Renault Logan. Will be available in both Diesel and Petrol Models. Petrol is expected to cost around 4.5 L and diesel around 5.2 L.Meets most of your requirements, specially point no.3. Its as spacious as the Corolla!

Last edited by DCEite : 27th January 2007 at 12:43.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 13:47   #3
BHPian

thanks, i had a look at some of the images of the logan, and must say that it looks rather outdated. though it would be a sold car to have. any news on when it would hit the market?
Old 27th January 2007, 14:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
There is a very good car coming up right in your budget. The Renault Logan. Will be available in both Diesel and Petrol Models. Petrol is expected to cost around 4.5 L and diesel around 5.2 L.Meets most of your requirements, specially point no.3. Its as spacious as the Corolla!
thanks, when would the logan hit the streets? i did have a look at some of the images, and must say that it doesnt look that good.
Old 27th January 2007, 14:12   #5
BHPian

I'd say go for the Aveo, because you already like it, and its spacious and has a boot.

The Fiesta 1.4 is really just a pale shadow of the Fiesta 1.6, so only if you can stretch your budget to a 1.6 should you go in for a Fiesta.

The Swift Diesel is an interesting car, but if you want something fun to drive then there's no point buying a diesel in this range. If you dont mind a hatchback (and I personally feel that saloons are overrated in India and thus also slightly overpriced) then look at the Getz, the U-VA and the Swift Petrol.

For a car thats fun to drive as well as spacious (since you're getting married and will soon be churning out babies one after the other) consider the Fiat Adventure which has an awesome engine or the Ford Fusion (which also has a pretty good engine). Both are selling at a discount because of their unconventional form factors.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 16:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend recently bought a Fiesta 1.4, and he's getting only close to 8-9 kmpl... So, if you are on a tight budget, paying extra for petrol might be hard...

I would say Swift diesel is a good choice to look at...
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My friend recently bought a Fiesta 1.4, and he's getting only close to 8-9 kmpl... So, if you are on a tight budget, paying extra for petrol might be hard...

I would say Swift diesel is a good choice to look at...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am just coming home after driving the swift diesel with a smile on my face. boy o boy, what an engine, no noise, no vibration, the torgue is pretty good, was goin as low as 20-30 in 4th gear without any problem. and the car suddenly shoots off when the rpm touches 2000 thanks to the turbocharger. This makes it very interesting.
Old 27th January 2007, 16:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvigneshbhasker View Post
thanks, when would the logan hit the streets? i did have a look at some of the images, and must say that it doesnt look that good.
Expected to be launched in April.
Yeah, the looks are a bit outdated. But then, for that price it will be good value for money.
If you compare the exterior looks with say Fiesta, i dont find too much wrong with the Logan.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 17:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvigneshbhasker View Post
Hi Guys.
I am planning to upgrade from my santro to go in for a new car. I originally started off with 2 options in mind, the Aveo 1.4 and the Fiesta 1.4 I have test driven both the cars and my feedback is as follows.

Aveo - I like it for it looks, quality of materials used, comfort. The on road price works out to 6.35 lakhs after discount in Chennai

Fiesta - There is only 1 thing i like about it and thats its engine. Great driver appeal. Only factor im worried about ford is its maintenance, having owned an ikon 1.6 for 4 years. It works out to 6.55 lakhs.

WIth the introduction of the swift diesel, it makes it a worthwhile option to look at. It works out to 5.54 lakhs on road.

Here are my questions.
1 There is a common saying that if you dont drive atleast 100 km per day, then its not worth to go in for a diesel. I agree, if you compare the same car(swift petrol vs swift diesel). But if i compare the swift diesel against the aveo or the fiesta, im getting a car that is fun to drive, easy to maintain and cheap to run with new diesel technology. I do about 30 km per day on an average.
2. I plan to keep the car atleast for 4 years.
3. I plan to get married within th next year, and keeping that in mind, was wondering if the swift diesel is a good choice as a family car or not.
4. I suddenly realised, that if im going for the swift, i much rather go for the petrol option, since its 1 lakh cheaper.

Look forward to your suggestions and advice.

Thanks
Vignesh

Hi Vignesh !!

With your kind of running (30kms a day) its not worthwhile to go for Diesel and there was some discussion in team bhp forum where it was evaluated that even if your running is around 2000 kms a month the extra cost you put in on Diesel swift compared to its petrol sibbling you would recover that extra input only after 3 years.

So now it boils down to Swift petrol vs Aveo vs Fiesta.

Alright decide if you want sedan and join the elite group (status symbol) and if that is the case then amongst the 2 i would say Aveo not bcoz i have one but for the point you mentioned - Ford's ***.

Although i would comment here that Aveo engine does not make it a performance car rather its for sedate driving and luxury and comfort.

Trust me Aveo is a lot more VFM than Fiesta and am sure its gonna fetch you better resale than Ford counterpart.

Take your pick.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 17:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok So somehow i got a chance to drive swift diesel today. Went to both Berkley and Modern. Modern people only had 2 cars where as Berkley had 4 - 6 cars. They were not giving test drives but after a lot of pushing they agreed. I wont bore ya all here with review (will write the detailed review tomorrow).

I was amazed to see the NHV level. I never though that Swift will be so quiet. Though NVH level are not as good as fiesta but you wont feel that you driving swift D. The handling and other stuff is same as swift petrol. I would recommend going for a VDi as you get to have goodies. Car comes with 3 year warranty included. 30K more on VDi you can have airbags, ABS an EBD.

Though the car have 190 NM of torque but it doesn't feel like (May be coz engine was cold and was making a bit of noise). There is no noise inside the car and you wont feel like driving a Swift Diesel. Pickup is ok compared to Swift Petrol and i think there wont be much difference in 0-100 timings, maybe 2 secs or so.

If your running is around 50KM only then go for a Swift diesel. Overall its same as driving a petrol with that much torque.

I would say you go for 1.4 fiesta or if u intend to go for goodies then go for Aveo. Swift D do not make sense in you type of running plus u will be having a sedan instead of HatchBack.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 18:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

All I can suggest is to wait for the Logan. The Swift is a good car in both Petrol and Diesel versions. However, you may regret not buying a car with three boxes. Just wait a few more months.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 18:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey,
as your daily running i only 30km, stay off the diesel. Even if you look at the better resale value, you will still not be able to make up the extra 1L.
Between the Fiesta and the Aveo, i would reccomend the Fiesta.
The fiesta is selling better than the Aveo so it would have better resale value.
also, the fiesta is more fun to drive and the ride is as good.
the aveo has better interiors but i believe the fiesta is safer and as for the average, the aveo 1.4 would return a similar average too.
So my advise, go for the Fiesta.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 20:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Stay off from Diesel since your running is around 30KM per day.

I suggest you wait for Logan its simply the best car and its sapcious, 10 times better than Swift.

If you want to buy a car now itself and can't for 2 months then plan to buy either Aveo 1.4 (space, comfort) or Swift Petrol(for driving pleasure, easy to service and good resale value).

Don't buy Fiesta its not a worth buying Ford cars in India.

Regadrs,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 22:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Since you've answered all the questions abt size of family, your choice should be determined only by these 2 questions:

1. City/highway driving: If mainly city, the Swift should do. Else the Aveo/Fiesta is a better choice. There's not much to differentiate betwen these 2 - except the Ford will retain its value better

2. Intended usage over the next 3 years: Is less petrol, else diesel

Since you've already owned a small car, the Aveo/Fiesta should be the eventual choice
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 07:34   #15
BHPian

It's not right to generalize telling that Diesel is not recommended if driving is less than xx kilometers per day. The xx is dependent on the alternate choices.

The best way to make a statistical choice is to work out the cost of ownership per month (EMI + fuel + Insurance) by assuming that the car will be purchased on a loan.

As for me personally, I think a 3 box car is not really required for predominant City driving. Most hatchbacks do have a small boot and are more than adequate for most purposes.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote