Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 29th January 2007, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Lightbulb IS this the right time to go for a new CAR ??

Is this the right time to go for a brand new car ?? !! well thats what i have been thinking for some time now. I would be using my car go to office and back say not more than 10km a day and maybe on weekend go for occational long drive....I always had the santro and the wagon r in my mind but recently after browsing tru team-bhp i came to know that this year itself, ie; in couple of months there would be loads of new model coming out from different manufacturers. The Swift diesel is out...seems like the Getz crdi will be out also shortly.....so it leaves me a lot confused if i should wait for some more time or should i go for a car immediately..Am really looking out for advice from fellow bhpians..Pls help, really need to be back on the wheels.....

Last edited by jango : 29th January 2007 at 15:23.
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 15:23   #2
BHPian

with a limited monthly run, I don't think diesel is a good option for you, no matter how refined the engine is ( read swift Di ).
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 15:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

going by your usage, a diesel is not the right vehcle for you. you would be better off with a petrol.

Moreover, since you are considering the wagonR/Santro, you can always go in for the estilo which is a brand new car- there are no new cars expected in 07 in this category other than the Chevy Spark.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to your requirements. there will always be newer cars around hte corner, but if you have a car in mind that fulfills your requirements, i would say, just go for it!
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

From what you are saying, 500 Kms a month is what you will be driving & diesel is certainly not worth considering. Most of the petrol models are already available. take your pick.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 15:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Is this the right time to go for a brand new car ?? !!
It's always the right time to get a new car .
See, there'll be new models coming up always .. so that should not be a deterrent, unless you are fixed upon a specific car that is yet to be launched.

Other than that it would help if you could elaborate the turmoil in your mind a bit more
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 15:32   #6
BHPian

and if you are opting for a Maruti product then decide before 1 feb. Maruti is increasing prices.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/363657-post8.html
Old 29th January 2007, 15:36   #7
BHPian

I have the Santro in mind, but i also heard from one of my fiend that a new version of the santro is going to be out, in such a case i do not want to feel outdated once i pick up the car...that's the only concern !! and yes it indeed is a concern from me
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 15:45   #8
BHPian

New Santro will emerge in 3rd or 4th quarter of the year.
Old 29th January 2007, 19:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Santro is good except for its bumpy ride in bad roads, I never liked its suspension. Estilo or upcoming spark good chocie for you Sir.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 21:59   #10
BHPian

I will advice you to go for Petrol Swift before the Price hike in FEB as its VFM. Relatively new design,1.3 engine, F.E, A.S.S. The car is too good.
I would also advice you to take ABS if you plan to buy Vxi. It give that extra safety and will fetch a better resale value when you plan to sell you car in future as by that time our Goverment would have made ABS compulsory.
remcy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 23:20   #11
BHPian

More appropriate q would be if it's better to wait till march to see if there are any fin. yr end discounts ?
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 23:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
It's always the right time to get a new car .
EGGJAKTLY.. Now as you travel less than 10km a day, no sense in going for a diesel. And as you were looking at WagonR and Santro, there is not going to be any launch soon in this price range apart from the Chevy Spark, as already mentioned.
So you are pretty much looking at the entire range of cars available in this price range which WILL stick around for some time. If you can stretch your budget, Swift is the way to go. Otherwise Santro, WagonR, Estillo, Palio are yours for the taking. Just make your choice! As SIMPUL!!
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 00:05   #13
BHPian

Default What kind of a car you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Is this the right time to go for a brand new car ?? !! well thats what i have been thinking for some time now. I would be using my car go to office and back say not more than 10km a day and maybe on weekend go for occational long drive....I always had the santro and the wagon r in my mind but recently after browsing tru team-bhp i came to know that this year itself, ie; in couple of months there would be loads of new model coming out from different manufacturers. The Swift diesel is out...seems like the Getz crdi will be out also shortly.....so it leaves me a lot confused if i should wait for some more time or should i go for a car immediately..Am really looking out for advice from fellow bhpians..Pls help, really need to be back on the wheels.....
I'd assume you are not one that enjoys car performance, since you thought of Santro/ Wagon R. Please correct us if it is otherwise.

There is talk about TATA/ Fiat bringing out a diesel 1.1L, may be you'd like to wait and see. It is not that you necessarily need a diesel, but why not get it if the car fits your parameters and you can save on fuel.

Why not wait for Renault-Logan and see if thats the best you can get fitting the same budget range or by extending it a little bit.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 02:57   #14
BHPian

For me the right time time i get to purchase a car, i have been postponing my purchase for almost three years, because of work travel or family commitments.
This time when i come back home, i am definitely a picking up a car, even if i am at home only for a couple of months.
carCrazy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 09:05   #15
BHPian

With this usage of 10km per day go for a hassle free car. Choose between Santro and Wagon R. Both are proven vehicles. The new Zen hasn't kicked off much excitement. It's actually a 1999 model being launched as new in India. Santro and Wagon R are actually newer models.

Between Santro and Wagon R, both have their strengths and weakpoints but considering the overall factor its the Santro. Take a test drive of both and make a decision.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote