Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 3rd February 2007, 08:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Sadly have to say you should overlook the current baleno and consider the swift[The diesel variant with ABS] especially when you are considering a companion for the next five years.If however you are not in a hurry to buy a car then why not wait for the new baleno,if you do not like it or it is unaffordable you could consider the swift diesel at that point too.

Pictures of cars are not expected on a what car thread but because of the usage of the term Black baleno beauty... just could not resist:

The following picture is taken from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/364169-post22.html
Baleno always looked beautiful to me... It was looking plain executive type car, with unexpected performance under the hood...

Anyways.. That particular picture (Was worked by Rudra sir right??? Its too good... Man, talk about a beautiful black car!!!) But, I bet, if he does the same work on the Swift, the result will be magic...

Anyways.. After having spent time with my friend's new Swift diesel... I say its a very good car... Defenitly you should consider it, and drive it before buying anything eolse in the price range....
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 17:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
So the mileages between Swift and Baleno are not that different....of course driving a smaller car is easier in the city...but on the highway the bigger car may feel a bit more stable...
Thanks for the first hand information. Surprising you guys were unable to get higher FE on the highways. Then again you did mention bad village roads and 160kmph+ speeds. Regarding stability Im led to believe the Swift is also pretty stable though some consider it a Tallboy design.. (more of a fatboy.. hehe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Me? Sponsor? Man! Wrong number.
There isn't much difference between the VXI ABS and ZXI except climate control.
Damn, no sponsore = no hertz

BTW Zak your amongst the only one who has suggested the Petrol variant, which is what Im still strongly geared towards.

All the hullabaloo about Swift-D means I need to go test drive the car before I write my opinion here. McLaren had mentioned that PEte wuld probably offer ECU remap + box for the car sometime in the future but I definately cant afford 20-25k for those sort of mods (I assume pete's box would cost that much). Opting for swift-d and having the modding option limited to only an airfilter isnt very appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Because of the usage of the term Black baleno beauty... just could not resist: The following picture is taken from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/364169-post22.html
What are you trying to do mate??? Allready its a difficult choice and here you are further enticing me (j/k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Anyways.. After having spent time with my friend's new Swift diesel... I say its a very good car... Defenitly you should consider it, and drive it before buying anything eolse in the price range....
Yeah Im just biased towards the swift-d at the moment. I guess its only sensible and fair to comment once I get behind the wheel and take the test drive.

Last edited by s0uljah : 3rd February 2007 at 17:40.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 15:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just adding to the list of drawbacks of the vehicles Id shortlisted. Those who have knowledge of spare part availability/prices please post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Swift -
Im aware of the issues that many of our T-Bhp owners have addressed here :

Rattling / Mileage / Lack of loq torque / Inferior Build Quality (yes a few have said that) / Claustraphobic rear seating / Lack of boot space (really?) / Difficulty parking (due to rear glass) etc etc. Phew !
+Plasticky Interiors / Gross Weight / Expensive Spare parts?? (Is this true?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Baleno -

Ok so now the drawbacks of buying the Baleno :

Outdated (ancient, old, etc..) / Looks (subjective) / Build quality (yes some have stated) / Resale value / Lack of spare parts (again some have voiced their concern) / Launch of New Baleno shortly
+Low ground clearance, Plasticky Interiors
Old 5th February 2007, 15:32   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Posting this from bellary where i am enjoying the swift diesel thoroughly .. This car is fabulous to drive on the highway , TC kicks in and one falls in love with the surge .. Returned an astonishing FE of 23kmpl with some 350 kms of highway driving and 100kms in peak bangalore traffic with AC on 100% of the time .. I am just falling in love with this car .. This is with the engine not yet done 500kms .. Expecting only better things to come once the engine settles down ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 15:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats good FE mclaren1885, Blre to Bly road is awasome as well!
Very well done road for sure after waiting for long time. So on highway Swift D should return aprox. 25kmpl and in Bangalore city 19kmpl. Thats whats claimed by MUL!

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 15:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I am just falling in love with this car .. This is with the engine not yet done 500kms .. Expecting only better things to come once the engine settles down ..
Thanks for the update bhai
Old 12th February 2007, 09:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

The man has spoken, Swift VXI seems to emerge as the winner.

Now to look around for the best deal.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:22   #23
BHPian

Default Esteem Lxi or Swift Vxi ?

i'm tossed between these...

Esteem is gonna b off the market come jan '08... i've had a good experience with it earlier on. at present i own a 95 esteem which i bought second hand 'bout 5/6years back. has been good.

both have roughly the same price (on road) as they're giving discount of around 46K on it. no discount on swift.

on the other hand... swift is a newer model/platform car. will remain in the market in the near future. i've driven it and like its handling. its a heavy car for its size... so sticks well to the ground (the impression i've had).

any car that i might get (petrol) i'll be getting a CNG kit asap... be it Esteem or Swift.

Problem 1:
i've been told that these new MPFi engines tend to get problems if u get CNG/LPG fitments... after a while. is it true ?
the only reason im considering Esteem over Swift is i'll loose the entire boot space with the cylinder. in Esteem i'll have some spare and it won't show, with the boot being seperate.

Problem 2:
given the point in problem 1.. of MPFi engines getting problematic with CNG fitting after a while and that i would loose boot space with CNG fitting in the Swift i was thinking of Swift Ldi.... but then i drove it. and it does have some noise inside the car, the engine. that caught me on the wrong foot. and another point that worries is the general notion of a diesel engine. they do tend to wear out quicker than petrol engines right? they have higher maintainance cost as well....? and about this Ldi... is the engine reliable enough that it'll serve well for a LONG time. and i do mean long time. i wont b changing my vehicle ANY TIME soon. keeping this point in mind is a major point.

im just EXTREMLY confused. if u could imagine the scenario and fill in the blanks on your own...please explain stuff to me to ease out my doubts and tell me which one to go for ? ASAP.

the other day i read the Accent GLE's Ex Showroom price is 4.99Lacs.... that made me crazy as well.... its like i started at Santro and now i've gone up to Accent... theres no stopping to it. don't have enough in my pocket and imagination has no bars.. so i need to draw a line...
anyone getting a good offer on accent where the price (on road) comes to b same as Esteem's ? like getting free insurance etc package/offer. it'll b really helpful. will b alifelong investment for me. so a good offer may make it immense for me.

thank you
a2k24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:13   #24
BHPian

Default Me too tosssed

Am also confused between the two: went to book the swift VDI the sales person confused me with the option of esteem lxi otr at 4.5!! was thinking will it make sense buying esteem and getting it fitted with a good LPG kit.

Any suggessions guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k24 View Post
i'm tossed between these...

Esteem is gonna b off the market come jan '08... i've had a good experience with it earlier on. at present i own a 95 esteem which i bought second hand 'bout 5/6years back. has been good.

both have roughly the same price (on road) as they're giving discount of around 46K on it. no discount on swift.

on the other hand... swift is a newer model/platform car. will remain in the market in the near future. i've driven it and like its handling. its a heavy car for its size... so sticks well to the ground (the impression i've had).

any car that i might get (petrol) i'll be getting a CNG kit asap... be it Esteem or Swift.

Problem 1:
i've been told that these new MPFi engines tend to get problems if u get CNG/LPG fitments... after a while. is it true ?
the only reason im considering Esteem over Swift is i'll loose the entire boot space with the cylinder. in Esteem i'll have some spare and it won't show, with the boot being seperate.

Problem 2:
given the point in problem 1.. of MPFi engines getting problematic with CNG fitting after a while and that i would loose boot space with CNG fitting in the Swift i was thinking of Swift Ldi.... but then i drove it. and it does have some noise inside the car, the engine. that caught me on the wrong foot. and another point that worries is the general notion of a diesel engine. they do tend to wear out quicker than petrol engines right? they have higher maintainance cost as well....? and about this Ldi... is the engine reliable enough that it'll serve well for a LONG time. and i do mean long time. i wont b changing my vehicle ANY TIME soon. keeping this point in mind is a major point.

im just EXTREMLY confused. if u could imagine the scenario and fill in the blanks on your own...please explain stuff to me to ease out my doubts and tell me which one to go for ? ASAP.

the other day i read the Accent GLE's Ex Showroom price is 4.99Lacs.... that made me crazy as well.... its like i started at Santro and now i've gone up to Accent... theres no stopping to it. don't have enough in my pocket and imagination has no bars.. so i need to draw a line...
anyone getting a good offer on accent where the price (on road) comes to b same as Esteem's ? like getting free insurance etc package/offer. it'll b really helpful. will b alifelong investment for me. so a good offer may make it immense for me.

thank you
sameer_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:42   #25
BHPian

why dont you try palio1.6 sports?
dr_aryan is offline   Reply With Quote