Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 26th February 2007, 23:45   #31
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carCrazy25 View Post
Ok i have a Question.
If your not much of an Highway guy, which would you prefer for city driving Swift or Santro or Wagon R....THOUGHTS????
Depends on what you are looking for in city driving. Personally I would go for Santro. It is an outstanding city car (as is the Wagon R) plus it is much more than adequate for highways as well. Swift will probably be a better highway car; in the city the only advantage I can think of for the Swift over Santro or Wagon R might be that Swift is more spacious (is it?). Swift will surely lose out on maneuverability in city driving conditions to either Santro or Wagon R -- these will be easier to park as well in the city (low turning radius). Plus cost of running/maintenance should be lower for Santro/Wagon R.

I can vouch for the ruggedness and reliability of the Santro in both city and highway conditions. If you push the Santro really hard, it would take a highly determined Swift driver to keep up with you on most normal Indian highway conditions (crowded, narrow roads with lots of slow traffic). The Swift will be clear winner only on roads like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 12:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I am not sure about this. I have done 3500KMs on my Swift VXi with ABS. The City average is 14.5Kmpl (>50% AC) and highway it is around 21Kmpl(100% AC). After 2500Kms, I have seen around 0.5 kmpl increase in FE.

Where as my friend's Wagon-Rs ( Three of them, with different driving styles) claims around 13 kmpl/city and around 18kmpl on highway.

regards,
-manju
Wow..thats amazing...!!! Do write about your driving style so that others also benefit from it.

Well guys, thank you very much. I have almost decided on Swift. now the next step is to go and talk to the dealers abt the best offer.

I will update you about the next step.

If you guys are aware of any good offers in bangalore, please let me know
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 15:06   #33
BHPian

Rajshenoy,

I had a Wagon R Vxi & now have the Swift Zxi.

I totally recommend the Swift over the Wagon R. My Swift gives me a fantastic FE of 16.5 w/o AC and 15.5 with AC in city driving. It's very spacious, looks awesome (no need for convincing your wifey), good ac, great ride and is a NEW car.

Wagon R is a very capable car buy if I was you I would put-in my money on the Swift.

Cheers!
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default IS this the best offer for VXI without abs BANGALORE?

Hey guys...i went to Bimal today..(as its the nearest)

they are quoting 4.88 for VXI without ABS
discount:
+ corp discount(they didnt tell me how much that would be..said they ll tell shortly)
Plus some goodies( floor mats etc...not worth talking abt)

What do you think about this deal? i didnt get time to talk to other dealers..will be going tomorrow to get some more quotes..

Any suggestions? or can i press for more goodies/discount?

i am looking for key less entry+ teflon etc..

This is my first car buying experience..so please help me out with some tips
Old 3rd March 2007, 17:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

just got some more quotes too from RNS and mandovi
Its pretty much the same offer.

even the accessories given are same!!!

corp discount of abt 2.5K which makes it 17.5K

Any suggestions?(who is the better dealer?)

BIMAL is the nearest ofcourse.
Old 3rd March 2007, 19:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Don't buy @BIMAL I recommand Mandovi or Sagar or Pratham motors.

I had baught Swift in BIMAL, They don't know how to service Swift, They could not rectify the issue which I reported on the 2nd day I took the delivery from them.

I went to pratham @outer ring road near sarjapur road and they rectified all issues within 2 days I had reported. Few months later some of the issues came back, Then I approached Mandovi @Vijayanagar they rectified it for ever!

After that car was real smmoth. I don't own swift because I realized its not good car at all because it has lot of design issues, rattling etc.. one can spot many issues with it of course its common in maruti cars (Maruti known for economy thats all... )

BIMAL don't give best deal their service is very poor. Many guys have reported same problem with BIMAL which is one of the worst MUL dealership in Bangalore.

Bargain for 25K discount, If you want I can try to get discounts I know many MUL guys!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 3rd March 2007 at 19:11.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 19:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Wow..thats amazing...!!! Do write about your driving style so that others also benefit from it.

Well guys, thank you very much. I have almost decided on Swift. now the next step is to go and talk to the dealers abt the best offer.

I will update you about the next step.

If you guys are aware of any good offers in bangalore, please let me know

I am getting FE 18+ on my Swift Lxi on highway with AC on. Please see my other post. I love my darling
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:30   #38
BHPian

Default same here

been almost 6 months shince I was in the dilemma of WagonR vxi vs Swift. It so evenly balanced for me, I did take long drives in both and took this swift test drive at 6.00pm on the worst congested road to check how drivable it was in the b'lore rush hour and swift won hands down except one major issue for me.

I drive a 5 speed 800 and thats my bench mark for ease of city driving (manuvering, parking, cutting across, short sprints etc).

The difference in wagonR & Swift in city driving is..
When you want to take that quick overtake of a truck which is jamming up all the road and you get this small window as usual in b'lore before eveyrone gets across... you swift lower and floor the accelerator.... and ... and... you are just waiting nothing happens. The low end torque is missing in swift petrol.... forget the numbers/specifications if you have been driving for many many years and driven all other torque cars before... swift can be a bit of let down.

noise insulation.... swift is way ahead of wagonR.... thats one of the most important requirements to drive in B'lore.

So with all this research done and waiting for FY end discounts in march ... i get stuck up with a business trip here to canada.

Me and my colleague have been constantly talking to folks at mondovi and getting all these extra freebies. You may want to join us to increase the group. Since my company is not listed in the maruti gold/silver/platinum list... I don't get any corp. discounts. So my colleague is going ahead with the buy this month and I'll follow up when I return next month.

Don't miss to nego on MGA car cover.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

raj I understand that your heart is with the swift. and i would always recommend you to go with your heart. On the discounts part my experience is that most dealers would cave in once they feel that you are willing to buy if you get some good discounts. dont overdo it but stick to some reasonable discounts. tell them you will book it then and there if you get "this amount" as discount. I'm sure they will try to negotiate but if reasonable they will come back to you in 2 weeks time. I've experieced this even with the diesel swift which is just launched. So for the petrol swift i dont think it would be a problem. work out something with the cash discount and accessories that could be logical and negotiate with them. I'm sure you can get a really good offer from the maruti guys.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 17:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Me and my colleague have been constantly talking to folks at mondovi and getting all these extra freebies. You may want to join us to increase the group. Since my company is not listed in the maruti gold/silver/platinum list... I don't get any corp. discounts. So my colleague is going ahead with the buy this month and I'll follow up when I return next month.

Don't miss to nego on MGA car cover.
Well guys, tried mandovi today.

They said i will be getting 15K + 4K corp discount(my wifes company) but thats it...apart from that not much..basic accessories+sun films(not Llumar..for Llumar he said he can reduce its price by 50%..)+labour for all this service waived off(THANKS!!!)

Can you tell me the offer that you/colleague have got? i dont mind joining hands with TBHP Fraternity anyday..after all we share the same passion..

I am being told that post budget the prices will increase by upto 4-5K
which is from march 15th. so i was asked to book it before march 14th.

So i guess i dont have much time left...
Old 4th March 2007, 21:06   #41
BHPian

Raj - One of my colleague bought a Vxi @ 4.65L with 10k audio+sunfilm+remote lock, but that was in Dec; I think you should wait for end March, as everybody is behind year end targets and you should be able to strike a bargain.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 15:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys

so far i havent got any good offer(all the offers are pretty much the same)

Max i have got is

19K discount+basic accessories+sun film (mandovi)
17.5K discount+ basic accessories+sun film+teflon coating (Pratham)
17.5K discount+ basic accessories+sun film(sagar & RNS)

BIMAL i have just taken them out of my list because i feel they are simply HOPELESS...they just want you to come and buy the car...they never call you up. they hardly talk about giving any discounts..list goes on

so all are in the similar range..and i feel all 3 dealers are as good or bad as each other..

so who do you recomend among the 3?
Old 6th March 2007, 20:36   #43
BHPian

Quick update, you should see 32k off very soon on Swift. Even on the marutiudyog.com ->for buyers->sales schemes.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 09:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

after getting alot of help from Fellow Bhp ians, i bought my metallic white Swift VXI last saturday.

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for helping me.

Interestingly, i met Abinesh who happened to be my colleague
Team BHP doing social networking

With this note i would like to end this thread here.