Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2007, 21:16   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

sharath, I dont think it would be fair enough comparing a ford at the 7L range with a Maruti at the 5L range. Have you seen the interiors of the fords? Anyone would defenitely be willing to shell out atleast a lakh or more for those interiors and the features they provide. The Swifts have a very dull BLACK interior(atleast to me). Common Man we spend our time inside the vehicle and not outside.

See here again its always a priority factor. What is it that you are looking for? Which aspects get more weightage in your priority list? That is what would determine what we call 'Value' and i dont think anyone would buy anything unless they feel it has some value(atleast according to them!!).
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 22:19   #32
BHPian
 
sharathjeppu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
sharath, I dont think it would be fair enough comparing a ford at the 7L range with a Maruti at the 5L range. Have you seen the interiors of the fords? Anyone would defenitely be willing to shell out atleast a lakh or more for those interiors and the features they provide. The Swifts have a very dull BLACK interior(atleast to me). Common Man we spend our time inside the vehicle and not outside.

See here again its always a priority factor. What is it that you are looking for? Which aspects get more weightage in your priority list? That is what would determine what we call 'Value' and i dont think anyone would buy anything unless they feel it has some value(atleast according to them!!).
A ford fiesta 1.4 on road is not 7 lacs. More in the range of 6+ lacs.
A Swift ZXI is a little below 6 lacs. Spend some extra money and do up the interiors. So now how do we compare?

I was trying to respond to your remark that it's not worth paying so much money for a "hatchback". (BTW, the Mini Cooper is also a hatchback and is not cheap)
Maybe the Swift and the Fiesta were not a good enough comparison.
So lets take a Swift and an Esteem. What would you prefer?
I have seen a lot of people associate prestige with a 3 box car. so, even if it doesn't come with all the safety features that the Swift comes with, they would want a 3 box car like an Esteem. Hence the perception that a hatchback is supposed to be cheap and a 3 box car more expensive.

I understand that Hatchbacks are more popular in Europe than in the US. This is what I heard. Perhaps somebody could validate this.

BTW, what features of a Fiesta are you referring to?

Look at this comparison and let me know what you think

Maruti Swift ZXi vs Maruti Esteem VXi - BS III vs Ford Fiesta 1.4 EXi | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com India
(BTW, the swift has passenger side air bags as well and delivers 87 bhp and not 90 as mentioned) I am not sure of the accuracy of some of the other details.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 23:03   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

sorry sharath when you said 1.4 i thought of the 1.4 TDci. I forgot that they had a 1.4 petrol. Sorry for that.

On the Hatchback thing. I never intended to say that a hatchback is cheap and a sedan . 3 box is luxurious. All i intended to say is that there is something that we call value for money. For example the ford fusion was not value for money at the 7L price range but now at 6L on road i do feel it is value for money car. Here if you look at it that too is a hatchback right. Take the case of Maruti 800. I would say it is worth that kind of money. Here again a hatchback.

A hatchback or a sedan has nothing to do with cheapness or luxury according to me. But without good looking seats, a good looking dash, toy like ac knobs and switches, no adjustable steering or seat, a slightly hard suspension (maybe all these depend on personal preference) I would not like to pay that kind of money for the Swift VDi. I have no complains for the Petrol Versions, they are priced much better. But the VDi is overpriced by at least 40-50K according to what i see in it. Maybe its coz i'm not of a technical background. maybe they have something extra ordinary under all those things that we actually see!!!

In between I was just wondering, Why dont these guys give alloys for their diesel variants. I dont think anyone is offering alloys as standard for their diesel variants. Anyone knows why?!!

just to add. I felt really surprised to find the side and bumper beadings, the rear parcel tray, the digital clock and even the left rearview mirror!!!(for LDi) in the "Accessory List" for the swift Diesels. Common man why are these things not standard on such a vehicle at this price!!!!! Or is this normal procedure?
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 11:15   #34
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,025
Thanked: 3,483 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

just to add. I felt really surprised to find the side and bumper beadings, the rear parcel tray, the digital clock and even the left rearview mirror!!!(for LDi) in the "Accessory List" for the swift Diesels. Common man why are these things not standard on such a vehicle at this price!!!!! Or is this normal procedure?
I seriously cannot understand as to why a Rear view mirror is seen as an accessory??!!! Its like, "Sir.. u take the car, but your safety, and how u drive is none of our concern ... "
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 21:24   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi,

Few words....
a) Maintenance of Diesel vehicles generally come into picture if u intend to
use the car from taxi point of view wherein the average monthly
coverage for the car is well above 2500 Kms.
So maintenance is not a cause to worry when you intend to use the car
from office and Family driving.
b) Fuel efficiency wise my friends have well described in the earlier blogs. Needless to mention but 22 KM/Pl and average of 18 Km / PL with 25 Highway usage and 75 City usage says well for the car.

In the review done as against the palio and getz , UVa Swift has gained the maximum credibility.

So in my opnion g oahead with the car and You will enjoy the benefits of it.

But if you can wait for a month or so check out the LOGAN.

Guys any idea regarding the launch of Hybrid Ford flair with CNG option???

Thanx bye...
ashishr12m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 10:19   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,025
Thanked: 3,483 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishr12m View Post
Guys any idea regarding the launch of Hybrid Ford flair with CNG option???
I believe the Ford ikon Flair with CNG is available in the north ie. Delhi for eg, but with limited availability of CNG pumps in the south, is currently not available.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 10:37   #37
BHPian
 
navdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 885
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I think the thread has stretched quite a long. Any decisions by the owner ?
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 21:06   #38
nbr
BHPian
 
nbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MANGALORE/BALEHONNUR/DUBAI
Posts: 438
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
.



In between I was just wondering, Why dont these guys give alloys for their diesel variants. I dont think anyone is offering alloys as standard for their diesel variants. Anyone knows why?!!

just to add. I felt really surprised to find the side and bumper beadings, in the "Accessory List" for the swift Diesels. ?
ALLOYS r not provided because, already people r cribbing about the steep pricing of the SWIFT D.
GOOD, MUL is not providing side and bumper beadings on the SWIFT as a std fitment. These beadings spoil the looks of the car.
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:08   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,746
Thanked: 7,964 Times
Default

@gemithomas, any manafacturer will look at curbing the number of items to be provided so as to lower their cost. And, alloys usually are in the top of their list since they are expensive.

If you notice even in sedans, alloys are not provided for base models but only for the costly variants.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 14:25   #40
BANNED
 
Kool_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 165
Thanked: 15 Times
Thumbs down VDi where are you !!!

Hi Ajinkyapose ,

IMHO stick to VXi , I have booked one VDi on 16 of Feb , through Competent Maruti who had promised to deliveler the car in first week on March . Yesterday when i asked the sales team , got a Shock of my life

They told me that due to Heavy Demand there is very remote chance of me getting my car in March itself .

Its looks like they have hugely over booked that car and are not able to honor their commitment.

So going by that logic even if you book the car now there is very remote chance that you would get delivery in less than 2 months. By that time Logan would be out and i would take it any day over swift as its more VFM.

As for me i am planning to shakeup some heads at competent & Maruti so that they stop taking people for a ride...
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 16:57   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi Ajinkyapose ,

IMHO stick to VXi , I have booked one VDi on 16 of Feb , through Competent Maruti who had promised to deliveler the car in first week on March . Yesterday when i asked the sales team , got a Shock of my life

They told me that due to Heavy Demand there is very remote chance of me getting my car in March itself .

Its looks like they have hugely over booked that car and are not able to honor their commitment.

So going by that logic even if you book the car now there is very remote chance that you would get delivery in less than 2 months. By that time Logan would be out and i would take it any day over swift as its more VFM.

As for me i am planning to shakeup some heads at competent & Maruti so that they stop taking people for a ride...
Dude, I understand you are angered and frustrated but that should not be the reason to suggest someone asking for our opinion, VXi over VDi. What if he gets his car a month late... atleast he gets the car of "his" choice.
In this case why dont you cancel your booking for VDi and go for VXi?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 17:03   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,746
Thanked: 7,964 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Dude, I understand you are angered and frustrated but that should not be the reason to suggest someone asking for our opinion, VXi over VDi. What if he gets his car a month late... atleast he gets the car of "his" choice.
In this case why dont you cancel your booking for VDi and go for VXi?
, show your good spirit, please cancel your booking of VDI and go for VXi to set an example
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 00:24   #43
BANNED
 
Kool_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 165
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Dear Extreme_Torque and bobike008

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Dude, I understand you are angered and frustrated but that should not be the reason to suggest someone asking for our opinion, VXi over VDi. What if he gets his car a month late... atleast he gets the car of "his" choice.
In this case why dont you cancel your booking for VDi and go for VXi?
If i was not doing 70 + daily , i would not have gone for Swift DDis( with 2 months waiting period). Other Crdi cars like Accent / Verna are totally out of my budget.My choice is limited due to this.

and yes if Logon comes before Maruti delivers the car , you would see me putting my money on my word..
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 19:28   #44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Exclamation

Thank you all. And yes "navdeep" this thread has streched more than my expectation .

Well to tell u guys, I can only test drive the vehicles only on Weekends & last weekend i was busy with other things. So I am yet to test-drive a VDi. Again, the 1.5 months wait (for VDi) is making me lazy in my decision.
Sorry Guys - but do keep posting.


P.S. My increment was due this Feb-end. But after receiving the i-letter I am re-starting the options from Xeta.
ajinkyapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 14:41   #45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Lightbulb my working on Diesel v/s Petrol

I am NOT sure if this calculation is correct but this is the calculation done by me -

FOR SWIFT
Swift (VDi) [Diesel]
Price = Rs.5.65
avg. = 21 kms/ltr
running cost per km = Rs. 1.90

Swift (VXi) [Petrol]
Price = Rs.4.95
avg. = 13.5 kms/ltr
running cost per km = Rs. 3.78

So to level the investemnt done in SWIFT Diesel car (i.e. Car price + fuel exps done on both cars) the running must be 37,500 kms.
i.e. When the cars are used for 37,500kms the TOTAL of expense made on both cars (VDi & VXi) will be EQUAL.

----------------------------------------------------------------

FOR INDICA

Indica V2 turbo [Diesel]
Price = Rs.4.70 (after discount)
avg. = 18 kms/ltr
running cost per km = Rs. 2.11

Indica XETA (1.4) [Petrol]
Price = Rs.3.65 (after discount)
avg. = 13 kms/ltr
running cost per km = Rs. 3.92

i.e. When the cars are used for 63,500kms the TOTAL of expense made on both cars (Indiac Xeta & v2 turbo) will be EQUAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------

So considering I do 1500kms usage each month it will require
25 months (2+ yrs) for optimum use of SWIFT VDi and
42 months (3.5 yrs) for optimum use of Indica v2 turbo.

I will make actual gains only after this period.
(NOTE, I have ignored the maintenance cost)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Again, other factor here will be - What will be the resale value of each car after such runnings? Is Diesel car depreciated at a faster rate than the Petrol car??
ajinkyapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swift Vxi & Swift Vdi - Ownership/Service/Running costs dcetech Hatchbacks 4 26th October 2009 22:28
Swift VDI or Getz GLX-6L Budget EDIT: Bought VDI agm Hatchbacks 29 11th April 2008 22:56
Swift Vxi or Swift Vdi or New Ikon Flair nikunj_cal Hatchbacks 16 4th April 2007 02:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks