Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2007, 16:27   #1

Default SWIFT - VXi or VDi??

Hi,

I am looking for a Car which would be 1.Comforable (space), 2.Stylish 3.Good in Mileage. The main purpose would be for weekend long-drives (with parents) and [may be] office travel (30kms).

After checking some options between 3.5L to 5.5L, I am planning for a SWIFT. But I am not able to decide for the SWIFT Petrol (about 4.94L) or SWIFT Diesel (about 5.69L)?

My monthly usage would be around 1200-1300 kms. [which includes office travel].
I have read that Swift Diesel is impressive in its mileage (some 22km/ltr). So will it be worth investing more in Diesel?

Thanks,
Ajinkya
ajinkyapose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th February 2007, 19:06   #2
BHPian

Hi,

This link may give u some info..................

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...what-next.html
subbarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 19:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

For your type of mileage, stick to petrol
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 19:59   #4

Unhappy

Thanks guys. BUT Still not able to finalise......
Any views from ppl. having SWIFT Diesel / Petrol. (Also if possible give the mileage of ur vehicles)
I am dealing with Navnit Motors, THANE. Any advice for me from you guys? He is not giving any "free" goodies with the vehicle.
Only insurance @ Re.1 for loan amt. >= 3L.

Diesel has a catch - With initial investment - It will be cheaper to go places than as compared to Petrol.

Old 26th February 2007, 20:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Assuming the swift d gives 20kmpl in the city, then you will spend 2400 bucks on gas every month. if you buy the vxi, your monthly fuel bill is around 6000 bucks. which is more attractive ??
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 20:06   #6
BANNED

1300+ kms? Definitely not worth spending that extra lac on diesel. Spend that money on ICEing the car.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 20:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
For your type of mileage, stick to petrol
It is using this reasoning that my dad has decided upon Swift VXI and we are booking this week.

With SAVINGS aspect diesel is unwarranted unless your doing 80-100kms/daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Assuming the swift d gives 20kmpl in the city, then you will spend 2400 bucks on gas every month. if you buy the vxi, your monthly fuel bill is around 6000 bucks. which is more attractive ??
You forgot to include maintenance costs of Diesel engines.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 20:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

As Ajmat says, go for petrol.

You won't get a clear suggestion on diesel Swift. It's too new for anybody to give you a clear report.

There are other options available. Check them out here. Most of the diesel cars are covered in this forum. Use search function. Spend some time on reading...Unless you're hooked on Swift.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 20:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

You seem to have started with an inclination to the diesel. In which case other options may not appeal to you. As advised above, petrol makes more sense for your kind of running. Not that you'll be cheated if you go in for that refined 1.3 Turbojet.

2nd part of your Q : I own a Swift petrol with K&N and 195/55 R15s. I get a mileage of 15.5 kmpl.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 21:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked out the Ikon Flair. If you are willing to wait for atleast 2 months i hear they are also coming out with a TDCi engine also(simmilar to the one in the fiesta diesel with lower capacity of course). They should normally place it against the swift Diesel variant. I had checked out he Swift VDi(Diesel) but could not digest the price they were asking when comparing the things that they are giving you. (see my post in what car section on "Buying Adventure over swift vdi"). Its not a value for money car. But if Mileage and After Sale score high in your priority list thats the best car at the price. If you are a person who wants to "feel good" in your car this is not the one for you.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 22:39   #11

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, it's helping to solve the doubt!

No. I have'nt tried much options. I am looking for small cars to "zip" in the parking issues.
I have checked out - Xeta, Zen, SWIFT, Santro & Getz. Out of which I shorlisted SWIFT & Getz.
But SWIFT is having a hand over Getz in terms of price, looks & mileage. But then I found Getz more comfortable as compared to SWIFT & I have heared Getz mileage is 9-10km/liter !!!
Old 27th February 2007, 01:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Going by your requirements I think the Swift petrol should be the car for you. In case you can afford to wait for some long term reports on the recently launched Swift diesel from out fellow TBHPians you might consider that as well.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 07:31   #13
BHPian

swift vdi would be a better option.the maintaince of the diesel will be more as compared to the petrol version so its better u go for petrol..
bayuin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 08:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayuin2004 View Post
swift vdi would be a better option.the maintaince of the diesel will be more as compared to the petrol version so its better u go for petrol..

Ehhhhh? you are contradicting yourself
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 08:51   #15
BHPian

Ajin,
I would suggest you to stick to VDi. You might spend a lac over the petrol, but the advantages are
1.Diesel has better power and drivability. Once you like diesel cars you will not like petrol cars.
2.Once the fuel costs are less you tend to drive more.You might not use your two wheeler anymore.
3.As esteem lover suggested, you are going to spend 3600 bocks more on the fuel. Why dont u take an extra 1 lac loan and pay emi with this amount. At least you will get a better resale value when u sell the car.Money spend on petrol is money gone.
4.DDis is far better technology than the petrol
5.Personally I do not suggest to spend too much on ICE. You will not get any resale value on that, while the money invested on diesel does.
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote