Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 11th March 2007, 01:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
As the owner of a Swift Zxi, I will happily point you towards the Palio 1.6. Thats the car I wish I was driving. Amazingly fast, great dynamics and fantastic build quality. Buy it immediately if its available.

Only aspects in which a Swift Zxi is superior.. safety (because of Airbags and ABS), after sales service and perhaps fuel efficiency.
That was an honest assessment! Cheers!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 11:22   #32
BHPian

Swift Vxi it is..... At 70k more Swift Vdi's performance is also equal to or better than this Palio. Besides I hardly ever find Palio's on the roads. Nobody prefers to buy them. It's difficult to sell off even in the used car market. It does'nt seems like a good investment. Just for a little bit more performance ? IMHO my excitement levels would be more driving a Swift than a Palio. Getting behind Swift's wheel would make me smile more than getting behind an unexciting Palio. Palio carries a too old syndrome for me. I used to hear about Palio YEARS ago.... :(

Times are changing. And Maruti is changing fast..... faster.... than the competition. Fiat have no immediate plans for launching the Punto even. What can you expect from this company and its services? I have seen a Fiat service centre on the road to my office. It looks like a road side dhaba.

Swift - Yes Yes Yes
Palio - No No No NEVER...

Last edited by Tech : 11th March 2007 at 11:25.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 13:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Tech i would appreciate if you drive a 1.6 Palio and then comment. Its not a little difference its alot. Mindblowing torque for the engine and excellent handling and the build quality is years ahead.

I test drove a brand new Swift ZXi done just 7kms which was rattling and i test drove a 28k Kms Palio S10 which was not in good shape as far as the owner had maintained but mind you it had impressive build quality.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 13:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I test drove a brand new Swift ZXi done just 7kms which was rattling.
Not just rattles.

I don't know about the Palio, but I test drove the Swift Vxi the other day and the suspension is nothing short of a nightmare. Accepted, a lot of us are head over heels over the Swift's looks, very tight cornering, but god someone please do something about that hard suspension. It is good for "good " metaled roads, but the slightest bad road and you have had it. :-(
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 14:09   #35
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Tech i would appreciate if you drive a 1.6 Palio and then comment. Its not a little difference its alot. Mindblowing torque for the engine and excellent handling and the build quality is years ahead.
Well if I was so bent upon torque and power then I would have preferred to go in for a Verna Diesel or Honda VTec and would not have minded the higher price. At least you get a big car also and along with that a general acceptance in friend's circle. If in my colleagues circle, somebody comes in a Fiesta, somebody in a VTec, somebody in a NHC, somebody in a Lancer / Viva, there I would look awkward in a Palio ! (That's my own thoughts). Swift is fine. There are more than 20-30 Swifts in our office. You have to see your circle as well and not just look at power. That's why I mentioned that I would prefer to go in for a VTec and peace of mind as well. As you move up people watch and observe you. That's one another reason why Honda is ruling Indian sales. It mixes perfectly with Indian psyche and thinking.

Being an enthusiast is fine, but being practical is IMHO better.

Being a professional of Finance as well, I tend to look at this as a financial investment as well as I am particular about getting proper returns from this depcreciating investment. And besides I am a careful investor as well and am particular about risks and returns. So once again no to Palio.

From Performance (I'm OK with Swift's), Resale, Returns, Fuel Efficiency (Palio might even give 5-6 kmpl with highest performance), looks wise, market acceptability wise, maintenance wise ( without getting my head red with useless service and running here and there - peace of mind) and by a general public acceptance wise, I will always go in for a Swift. Fiat has tied up with Tata for service. I was in a Tata showroom one fine day. Nobody bothered to meet me for 20-30 minutes. Even after an enquiry I waited for 10-15 minutes or so. Working is more like in Govt Offices.

Nopes that's not my cup of tea.

So....

Swift - Yes Yes Yes
Palio - No No No Never

Last edited by Tech : 11th March 2007 at 14:20.
Old 11th March 2007, 14:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would have preferred to go in for a Verna Diesel or Honda VTec and would not have minded the higher price.
Firstly the Verna & Honda Vtec have a good engine but handling, conrening, build quality there are not even close to the Palio.

Secondly the Vtec doesnot have as much torque as the Palio 1.6

Quote:
At least you get a big car also and along with that a general acceptance in friend's circle. If in my colleagues circle, somebody comes in a Fiesta, somebody in a VTec, somebody in a NHC, somebody in a Lancer / Viva, there I would look awkward in a Palio ! (That's my own thoughts).
Secondly if you are more concerned about what your friends think about your car then i have nothing to say. You are buying car for yourself or for your friends to look at.

Most Importantly this thread is about Palio 1.6 Sport vs Swift VXi then why are we even talking about cars 2-3Lacs dearer. If then i can say i would look better in a Civic by paying some extra cash. Its all about the segment.

Quote:
From Performance (I'm OK with Swift's), Resale, Returns, Fuel Efficiency (Palio might even give 5-6 kmpl with highest performance), looks wise, market acceptability wise, maintenance wise ( without getting my head red with useless service and running here and there - peace of mind) and by a general public acceptance wise, I will always go in for a Swift. Fiat has tied up with Tata for service. I was in a Tata showroom one fine day. Nobody bothered to meet me for 20-30 minutes. Even after an enquiry I waited for 10-15 minutes or so. Working is more like in Govt Offices.
I totally agree to the same, i dont own a Palio and i have booked a Swift VDi for the reasons you have mentioned above, however Palio is a good car in some aspects. Also i went to the Tata showroom and the story was quite similar, no test drive cars and they were trying to pull me to the Indica. This happened more then a month ago and she (sales lady) promised me she will call me with the TD of the Palio but no news is good news it seems.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 15:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Well if I was so bent upon torque and power then I would have preferred to go in for a Verna Diesel or Honda VTec and would not have minded the higher price. At least you get a big car also and along with that a general acceptance in friend's circle. If in my colleagues circle, somebody comes in a Fiesta, somebody in a VTec, somebody in a NHC, somebody in a Lancer / Viva, there I would look awkward in a Palio ! (That's my own thoughts). Swift is fine. There are more than 20-30 Swifts in our office. You have to see your circle as well and not just look at power. That's why I mentioned that I would prefer to go in for a VTec and peace of mind as well. As you move up people watch and observe you. That's one another reason why Honda is ruling Indian sales. It mixes perfectly with Indian psyche and thinking.
Well I have a perfect car for that kind of mentality.They own a vtec,fiesta et all right?. You go one step ahead and buy yourself a tata safari/ scorpio.That is even bigger right.It should satisfy your ego and you would definitely be accepted very well in your circle.And then soon enough you will see ford endeavours/nissan x-trails in your circle.The story continues and the entire circle ends up with mercs/bmws/audis.And I hope that really happens for you.Good luck with that.

And a careful investor does not buy things just so that he can fit in the crowd.A careful investor looks for value for money in everything,sees and purchases according to his requirements and needs,and buys something that fits in his budget as well.

Yes, Swift is a great car,be it the petrol or diesel.And is very good value for money.But its not perfect,the same goes for all cars,including palio.But let me tell you this, all things considered, palio 1.6 gives you the biggest bang for your buck.Take the verna diesel or the honda city vtec and a palio 1.6,put them on a track in stock form,and I can pretty much guarantee you that the palio will not be humiliated.And that is to say the least.I dont want to go further on that.Yes,in a straightline, the other two might have an edge.And it costs virtually half of other two.That is not say that verna/fiesta or the honda are rubbish.They all are brilliant cars,but the very fact that you compare a 4.5 lakh car to a 8-9 lakh car,is in itself a big compliment to the palio.

Whatever said and done,not many on this forum will agree with your mentality.But then each one is different and that makes the world an interesting place to live in. So well......

Last edited by roms : 11th March 2007 at 15:27.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 15:54   #38
BHPian

Now that was RUDE.

And it's not about ego. It's about being in a circle, being acknowledged for your fine taste. People tend to evaluate you on that basis. Your selection has to be fine also. It reflects your taste, your elegance. It's very important for me when you are in an international community, mind you, maybe not for you. Tata safari/ Scorpio is no answer for fine cars like VTec. I mean what kind of mentality is that. That's like trying to soak others in your way and is childish.

Well I know there are a number of Palio lovers on this forum.

So where are the Palio sales? And they also give maximum discounts. Why doesn't Hondas give you discounts?

And I hardly see Palios on the streets. Maybe 2 in a day. Being an enthusiast is fine but being practical is better. And I am more of a normal consumer. Not crazy about torques or speeds. So that's why these things though exciting, are not that important for me. Consumer to Consumer everybody is different.

Palio 1.6 may you the biggest bang for your buck. But then where is the resale value? Why do people not buy it in seconds markets? Why inspite of it all and all the good features? Resale is important for me, for a depreciating asset. I will not drive one vehicle for ages.

And I am not saying that Fiat or its technology is not good. But in today's competitive world, management cannot sleep while others make hay. It all shows about commitment to a market and having a competive edge along with good customer service. So what is Fiat doing about it? Let them get the Punto, Liana and Alfa Romeos and set up proper networks in the Indian markets and then talk about performance, torque and speeds. I am with Fiats then.

This forum has more of enthusiasts. I am not one of them. So my way of thinking is different.

And then it's about being environment friendly as well. You know nature's reserves are limited. So make the best use of them. Just for the sake of fun and self indulgence ? Fuel guzzlers are a big no. Indian government will soon take this into consideration. High speeds thrill. But then being a sensible driver is also important.

Read the other thread about the Verna accident.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...nt-cochin.html
That driver was also so much excited with speeds and torques that he forgot everything as well. Plan properly for the future as well and for near and dear ones who depend on you. Be matured. Such court cases last 10-20 years.

Two of the most desirable cars for me at the moment are -
Maruti Suzuki Swift
Honda Civic

So whatever you guys say or hold on to. I hold on to what I feel is good.

So....
Swift - Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Palio - No No No Never NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER
Old 11th March 2007, 17:22   #39
BHPian

Well I guess I was rude.Sorry for that.This isn't about palio lovers coming to the rescue every time the Palio is maligned.
What I wanted to put across is this -
You can call yourself a 'smart investor' if you buy the Swift over the Palio 1.6 due to reasons we all know-low resale,low brand image,fe,service.So,yes buying a swift over the palio is more of a 'head ruling the heart decision' and is a safe and sound investment.
What I dont understand for the love of God is that how is it a 'smart investment' if you buy a car double the price of a palio 1.6 and then justify your purchase decision by stating that it would help you to fit in the circle better?
Thats like saying ' the skoda superb fits my requirements perfectly,but I'd rather buy the e-class at double the price since it helps me fit in the circle better.'
Yes,if you actually require a sedan like the vtec/verna over a hatch like palio, then making such an investment is understandable.
We all want to move ahead in life and buy better cars than palio.Palio is certainly not the 'be all and end all' of cars.But I would certainly not buy something just to fit in the crowd.Sorry again for being rude.Like you said,everyone is different,so I shall leave it that.Peace
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 19:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support Team -Guys , please stick to the topic. This thread aint about for FIAT or against FIAT. Lets help our man choose a car.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 19:52   #41
Team-BHP Support

1. Safety - equally good, palio feel good coz of heavier european buld

2. Power - Palio

3. Quality of the Materials used in the Vehicle - Both equally good or bad, swift being a notch better

4. Drive Quality and Confidence at higher speed : Palio
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 20:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Japs have far overtaken the Europians, in the reliability and dependability areas. in india also resale values are far better for the jap breeds. service is also better with marutis. you can increase the power output with some small tweaking, and handling with better shocks and broader tyres.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 00:47   #43
BHPian

IMO to buy a Palio it guy need to be true-blue FIAT enthusiast. You need to be able to ignore and live with all the hassles of pre-sales and post-sales service. You should be able to tackle all the difficulties with unavailability of spares etc. You should be able to bare the slightly lower FE.

If you are all that then go to Palio 1.6 itís a much better car than Swift. If not then better stick to Swift.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 02:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Swift is a fine car..like jack of all trades. Palio on the other hand comes with some more power and better handling. Looks are subjective.
Swift comes along with Maruti's super service and better (by a huge difference) resale value.
Check your finances, your priorities in the car, whether you can manage with few problems from Fiat service, your priority to resale value etc and then decide accordingly.
Think wise, listen to your heart and then act. Happy shopping.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 09:37   #45
BHPian

no car can beat palio in performance,quality,...the only problem which palio has is lack of servicing and a bit petrol just that
i am driving a palio not even 1.6 but 1.2 2002 and i bought it second hand car is 5 years but healtier than any 1 year swift i just love the way palio is
handeling,ride,performence,...just awesome man
so if u are a car lover go for palio and if u are looking for economy and...then swift will do for u
cheers
payam is offline   Reply With Quote