Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 12th March 2007, 14:12   #46
BHPian

Congratulations on selecting two good cars out of the lot. Whatever you buy you are not going to go wrong either way (strictly & technically only "CAR" wise).
All the best.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 00:46   #47
BHPian

Question

@ thread starter (if you're still on this topic i.e ,

So - was a choice finally made?
I was about to start a thread on Palio 1.6 vs Swift Vxi and found this one (though this started a little earlier and seems to be for the retro).

My options are now between Palio 1.6 Stile sport (not the retro) and the Swift Vxi.
I could only test drive the retro 1.6 today and by god i am really sold on the ride etc. The stile sport 1.6 is a little spruced up in the looks section (though the rear is not all that great IMHO) and will be checking it out on Sunday.
From my visit to the Tata-Fiat Dealer, i must say i was pretty impressed. Upon telling him that i am choosing between the stile and the Swift, he sprung in to his best marketing action (predictable and desired) but what took me by surprise is the way he explained the design and build quality. He actually compared the fiat's neat way of designing and approaching build quality with the tata vehicles in the showroom (! i mean thats like saying he really wants u to buy this car - he could have tried to sell me a Tata indi** which was matching the budget). i took it 1 step further and asked him about the service station etc - when he mentioned how many dedicated fiat bays (2) they had and engineers/technicians (8) for fiat alone and even agreed to show me the service station on my Sunday TD. !! so far this experience is making me slowly believe that the A.S.S may actually be good.
Anyways - we shall see . Will be doing the Vxi TD during the weekend.
Wondering if any one else here has any comments here on this comparison.
(and by god - i hope this doesnt turn out to be another "save fiat" or "Kill fiat" war thread )
sithon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 09:47   #48
BHPian

Hi Sithon,
I am a recently new Fiat owner, having bought a Petra in November 06. I have had some issues with my car. For instance, the alternator conked off within 12 days of buyin the car. And more recently, the tiny little thingy that converts rotating motion into power for the speedometer started slipping. The firt time I had been to Anuroop and the second time, Shaman, both in Bombay. And both times, the technicians were knowledgable and spares were available. Shaman actually picked up the car from my office which is 15km away.
So, I can not really complain about bad service. Of course there are enough people around complaining, which makes it important to pay attention to them as well, but what I am saying is that service is not necessarily terrible.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 11:19   #49
BHPian

I am sitting at the FIAT service station in Delhi (Vivek automobiles) . I have come for repeat job. Got the coolant leakage fixed about a month back and it is started leaking again yesterday. The moment I told the guys that the coolant has been leaking again, the guys sprung into action and a guy was on it within 2 minutes. The service manager ensured me that the problem will be dealt with and I dont have to pay any charges. Even though I have had some issues with my 2006 palio 1.2 but I dont have any complaint about after sale services that Vivek Auto has provided. I have had quite a few bad experiences with Pasco Maruti service stations (both Chandigarh and Delhi ) with my other car. I guess if FIAT India has to survive they have to improve upon the After Sales services all over India

Coming to the comparison now. First of all , its a little unfair for the Swift to be compared with the 1.6. It should ideally be compared to the 1.2(old one) . Between the palio 1.6 and swift vxi ,the 1.6 is definitely a better package overall.

Last edited by rishibravo : 2nd June 2007 at 11:24.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 16:52   #50
BHPian

it get a second hand 1.6 hands down and then soup it up, prefferably the one with airbags and abs. If not choice i would buy the palio brand new. Swift just feels too tinny in comparison. actualy i should ask should it be the palio sport 1.6 or the chevy srv?
agent4ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 11:34   #51
BHPian

The 1.6 Engine is a fabulous one, I will suggest it to any one for sure. I do not drive a Palio but I have 1.6 Petra.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 22:58   #52
BHPian

@anachronix

buddy what did buy finally??????

if r stillll in the process of deciding, i suggest u to go for
PALIO1.6 if u love smoking any car in a straight line, build quality, and torque....
SWIFT 1.3 petrol if u wanna have fun on tracks r hilly sections, want fuel efficiency as well as fun, peace of mind in terms of service backup..

and AFA rattling issues r concerned, dude any car can rattle if the driver and roads r bad.......

HAPPY MOTORING
DRIVE SAFE
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 09:44   #53
BHPian

Default hi !

both the cars are two of the best in the class.maruti has better service historywhere as fiat tata are strengthening it too.both will give u the same fuel efficiency if u drive them the same way . but remember palio is 100 bhp where the swift is @88 bhp. palio is having 137 Nm torque where as swift has 113 kgm. both weigh the same<@ 1050 kg> depends upon the options. so ull be getting 100% piece of mind in swift and @80% exitment where as in palio ull be getting @100% exitment and 80%piece of mind ...
if u care to notice, generally when people talk in the group when someone drives a palio he says i came in palio but others say(with some great exceptions are ohc and old lancers) i came in a car!.. may be the palio owner is a different breed all together.so if u want ur brother to own a car WITH A WOW! factor in the crowd and wow factor deep in his heart ... it must be 1.6 palio ...

Last edited by TURBOSAM : 8th September 2007 at 09:50.
TURBOSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 11:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Read the latest overdrive article, both cars have been compared!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 12:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

GUYS!!! i think its time we stopped discussing. This is reaching nowhere and the person who started the thread is nowhere to be see. Either he has lost interest or has already bought the car. Now why continue the battle??
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 22:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
if u care to notice, generally when people talk in the group when someone drives a palio he says i came in palio but others say(with some great exceptions are ohc and old lancers) i came in a car!.. may be the palio owner is a different breed all together.so if u want ur brother to own a car WITH A WOW! factor in the crowd and wow factor deep in his heart ... it must be 1.6 palio ...
SAM.....wierd but I myself have noticed when somebody asks me how you will come...I say Palio instead of car....(Palio leke atta hoon)....there is a sense of fulfillment when I stand next to the Palio.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 21:39   #57
BHPian

Guys,

This thread really talks a lot about palio and swift .. Helps me a lot as i am also planning to buy a palio 1.6 but still i have swift VXi in mind..

So if any palio stile 1.6 owners could update the city FE that they are getting now... Would be appreciable...
~~VinZ~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 21:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Read the latest overdrive article, both cars have been compared!
And the Swift outdoes the palio on stock tyres in handling department.

Striahgtline the 1.6 is fast.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 04:00   #59
BHPian

if you want raw power go in for the 1.6 and also keep in mind the after sales service and also the fuel efficiency....the ride quality is the best on the palio and any car enthusiast would anyday prefer the palio to the swift...both the vehicles have their pros and cons but the palio is a great car compared to the swift
aditya.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 08:21   #60
BHPian

Guys following is my opinion not intented to hurt anyones feelings.

First and formost I don't think its fair to Compare a Maruti/Suzuki with A FIAT.

Itt dosnt make any sence to compare the following.

Stile 1.6 Vs Swift Zxi

1596 vs 1298 (tough 0.2 wont sound that big but it goes big on hp/cc ratio)

100@5500 vs 88@6000

137@4250 vs 113@4500

If looking for FE then dun think of anything other than Marutis or Hyundais.

Ffollowing is the topic that i came up with.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...io-1-6-vs.html
guyonblackybx is offline   Reply With Quote