Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 14th March 2007, 20:36   #1

Exclamation swift vdi or second elantra crdi

Hi,
I know both the cars are in totally different leagues but I just wanted to know whether which will be a better option as the costs are similar of a first hand swift vdi and a second hand elantra crdi (done arnd 45000 kms, 2yrs old model).
Thing is I really like the features of the elantra and the swift is nowhere nearby but since i have never bought a second hand car before so Im hesitating thinking about the spares costs of the elantra if anything were to go wrong whereas with the swift i will be getting the warranty.
Big car/small car no issue..main concern is - which is a better buy for this price..6-6.5 lakhs.
Your opinions please.
carjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 23:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Given a choice i think the vdi would be the right choice...its BRAND NEW...0.0kms...no problems at all..whereas the Elantra is also a good car...but 40k and 2.5 yrs old aint nothing compared to a new vdi.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 23:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

There might be a new Elantra out in the next few months. Hyundai will be doing stock clearance if you're looking for VFM right now.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 23:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Given the healthy budget of 6.5lacs ....Go for a fully loaded Swift VDi....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 00:10   #5
BHPian

Get the Elantra inspected from a nearby Hyundai dealer, have the service records verified and seek some advise on upcoming maintainence costs. Elantra's are known to be trouble free normally, but have heard of some issues related to fuel injectors . I know of one that's run 1.40 lacs kms and remember of another being discussed on this forum with 3 lacs kms on it. They last well and sounds great VFM if all's well with the car.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 00:56   #6
fb1
BHPian

hmm I would get the elantra if it were in good condition, swift even it is brandnew is no where compared to elantra crdi + abs + traction control.
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 02:25   #7

I agree fb1, i love the elantra and swift is no where near features wise. Ive seen the elantra and it seems to be fine. I had better get it checked up according to hawkeye..
but what bothers me is that the elantra crdi is the old accent crdi engine with one extra cylinder..i mean both are the same generation of crdi engines.
Now from earlier posts here and as per many opinions from friends i've heard that the accent fuel pump gets destroyed in a while due to low grade diesel. If the same were to happen with the elantra then im in for a big time expense right...we are talkin close to a lakh..which creates a serious dent on vfm for a second hand car.

Swift is low on features but the engine(power and mileage) are really good for the city/highway too. The vdi for 6l comes with ABS too.

So that lands me in confusion again! However have any of you'll heard this problem from the elantra???
Old 15th March 2007, 02:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

What is your usage & for who long do you want to keep the car? Based on that we can advise you better.

Remember the Elantra after 3 years won't fetch you much in resale whereas the Swift will still be worth a decent amount of money.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 08:42   #9

usage is around 1500 km per month.. would be keeping the car for atleast 3 years!
Old 15th March 2007, 10:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Do you need a boot?
Or you just were thinking of getting a bigger car.
Elantra will serve you well, has low maintenance costs, but not as low as swift.
It comes with a 4 year warranty, so you have 1.5 years of warranty left.

But you need to be aware of one thing, that if elantra breaks down(bad fuel, accident etc.,) after warranty, and damage is to ECU, Airbags get deployed etc., it will be very very costly to repair.

After 3 years you will not get much resale too.

However if you want a big car with a boot, elantra is a really good deal.
In your original post big/small is not an issue, you just want a nice car with low maintenance costs, in that case Swift makes more sense.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Trying to make things simple and easy.

Do you want an economic car that is the current fashion and you want to reduce the "probablility" of maintainance costs atleast for a few years. GO FOR THE SWIFT VDi. But i dont think you should try to get an ABS coz there have been people complaining of not getting delivery even after a long waiting period.

If you want to travel in "luxury" at the budget you have. GO ahead and have the elantra thoroughly checked out and buy it if you are satisfied.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 13:09   #12
fb1
BHPian

hey man elantra crdi is an awesome car to drive, it rips.. my friend has one which has done 90,000 kms its still awesome to drive.. just take a mechanic and make sure the car is fine...
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 13:54   #13
BHPian

My thoughts exactly carjinx. If I can get a good used Elantra for 5-5.5L nothing like it. Or else the swift vdi it is. The only thing putting me off regarding the swift is its god damm waiting period!
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 11:17   #14
BHPian

The Elantra CRDi is an awesome vehicle to drive - a trifle difficult if you are short because the seats are kept low for those oversize americans. You SHOULD strongly consider it if you can get a fair assessment done on its mechanicals. Hyundai sources most of its overpriced diesel engines (or just the designs) from a reputed Diesel Engine manufacturer in the US. They put the same engine as the Elantra in the Tucson.

I cant comment about the Swift Diesel because I havent driven it.
wizardofid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 09:20   #15
BHPian

@carjinx,
There is feel good called warranty that you get when you buy a new car, If you can afford the waiting I would suggest the Swift VDi+ABS.
supremoo is offline   Reply With Quote