Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 19th July 2013, 12:58   #196
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
My suggestion. Avoid Hyundais. Poor FE, no VFM and old school 4-speed AT. i20 AT costing more than Amaze AT? What's with Hyundai?
We have a lot of satisfied i10 AT owners on the forum and if you go for the looks and gizmos, i20 does offer some value proposition to that segment as well.

Quote:
For shattering performance there is Polo. This AT hatch will put many MT sedans to shame.
The DSG box on the GT is miles ahead of the Torque convertors & CVTs on offer in this segment for sure but its reliability is a big question mark given the history of the DSG boxes on the Skodas, especially those powering the TSI variants. I would suggest wait and see.
By the way, I paid the same money for a Vento (torque convertor) AT in 2010 that the GT DSG is currently offered at. It *is* fantastic VFM provided the reliability issue is laid to rest.

Quote:
For space, features and FE, Micra CVT. How about push-button start, self-folding ORVMs, auto AC etc.?

For cheapest AT with phenomenal FE, most compact city-friendly size and cutest looks ( I feel that way ) there is A-Star.
Agreed.

Quote:
In my view other ATs do not merit any attention, Hondas included.
That's a bit unfair. The Brio/Amaze have a 5-speed 'box which offers better ratios than the 4-speeds on the Marutis and Hyundais. You are speaking as a purist perhaps but the average Joe city driver looking for comfort and convenience will find both of these in any AT, including those you have dismissed.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 13:41   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

That's a bit unfair. The Brio/Amaze have a 5-speed 'box which offers better ratios than the 4-speeds on the Marutis and Hyundais. You are speaking as a purist perhaps but the average Joe city driver looking for comfort and convenience will find both of these in any AT, including those you have dismissed.
Just one question:

For City Driving: Will both CVT and conventional AT give similar performance? I am not talking about the FE here but general pick up and acceleration?

For Highway driving: Again which will be better for overtaking etc?

The choice between Micra and Brio is not just about brands or features but about completely different technologies.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 18:20   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know about the AT-boxes in i10/Santro that he refers to as 3+1, but I don't think MSIL will offer a better AT in their entry-AT car costing 4.5 lakhs and a comparitively inferior AT-box in their cars a segment and more higher costing close to 8lakhs. Also the "3+1 gear" definition was discussed in detail in another thread and also clarified IIRC.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th July 2013 at 18:46.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 22:18   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

I am sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. Actually, I am a big fan of Honda myself. But upwards of City. I do not like Amaze and Brio one bit. Granted, Honda might have its own compulsions. Car sales is all about numbers and Honda badly needed some numbers hence these plain jane cars. But they are too bland. That dash-board! Ugghh..... Those folded-paper creased door panles! And in case of Brio, that rear glass which looks like a shop window to dsiplay merchandise. Anyway sorry if I hurt you but then, well, this is how I feel. Now I hope mods do not edit this. I have seen that happen with alarming regularity unless I foul-mouth Tata cars which seems super acceptable.

As for Polo DSG reliability, it is said they have ironed out all the bugs. Now that is to be seen. One more thing. If Amaze and Dzire look like hatches with a boot stuck on, Polo looks like a sedan with its boot chopped. We did not have a low-rider hatch like this since Zen's demise.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 22:25   #200
BHPian

Just about the perfect thread I was looking for

In the market for an used Automatic small car. Its for my sister for running daily errands. Would be hardly used for 10 or 15 kms everyday.

Was looking at the i10 Automatic simply because a couple of my friends own it and they are quite happy with it. What do you think would be the right price range for an used i10 run around 15k to 20k and say 2 years old? I saw a couple of them quoting 4 lakh for a similarly used car on Carwale.

I am looking at used automatics since the new AT's are a bit overpriced (personal opinion). I happened to go through the last couple of pages as well. Surprisingly, there are quite a few other options as well. Hmm, maybe I should check the others out as well.
Kimified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 14:49   #201
BHPian

@kimified: test-drive the MS A-Star; when I TDed it I liked it.
pratim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:36   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Just about the perfect thread I was looking for

In the market for an used Automatic small car. Its for my sister for running daily errands. Would be hardly used for 10 or 15 kms everyday.

Was looking at the i10 Automatic simply because a couple of my friends own it and they are quite happy with it. What do you think would be the right price range for an used i10 run around 15k to 20k and say 2 years old? I saw a couple of them quoting 4 lakh for a similarly used car on Carwale.

I am looking at used automatics since the new AT's are a bit overpriced (personal opinion). I happened to go through the last couple of pages as well. Surprisingly, there are quite a few other options as well. Hmm, maybe I should check the others out as well.
Better to go for new A-star Auto instead of giving 4 lakh plus for used i10 Auto. There is question mark about i10 Auto mileage which could go as low as 6-7 kmpl in city. A-star is known to be having very good mileage.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 20:26   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified
Instead of paying 4L for a (ab)used AT, I would add a ~lakh more and get a new A*-AT. But if you come across a decent 2-year example at 3L or so, that would be good - but doubt the possibility.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 20:51   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Better to go for new A-star Auto instead of giving 4 lakh plus for used i10 Auto. There is question mark about i10 Auto mileage which could go as low as 6-7 kmpl in city. A-star is known to be having very good mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
@kimified: test-drive the MS A-Star; when I TDed it I liked it.
Sure. I will check out the A-star then. Have decided to give Brio a shot as well (Albeit its way out of the budget I am looking for). Thanks.
Kimified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 13:08   #205
BHPian

I did a lot of test driving of the A-star, Brio... and finally ended up buying a pre-owned Santro eRLX AT @ INR 2.4 lakh. Two things sealed the deal, the Santro is the narrowest of the hatchbacks and also has the best low end toque. The Astar drives much better, but is a bit wider than the Santro, while being smaller inside.
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 16:07   #206
BHPian

Refueling this thread for some expert opinion. With many new hatchback automation options available now, which one would you guys suggest? I am looking at an automatic car within 10L budget for my wife.
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 16:13   #207
BHPian

I am also in the market for a new car. My requirements are pretty simple. It should be an automatic. It should have airbags and ABS. I don't care about anything else. (Apart from the budget - Can't spend more than 7-8 L)

I know this restricts my choices to Honda Brio and Nissan Micra. However, Brio seems really dated now. It doesn't even have Bluetooth in its infotainment center. No phone controls on the steering. (I know I can upgrade to a BT system by paying extra but still it wouldn't get steering controls)

Micra - I am skeptical about Nissan's after sales service.

Should I wait for Honda Jazz or take the plunge with Brio itself? Will there be a Brio refresh in the near future?
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 16:57   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Should I wait for Honda Jazz or take the plunge with Brio itself? Will there be a Brio refresh in the near future?
How urgent is the need? You have two options lined up. Figo Aspire with the DCT and the Jazz CVT. Surely both should happen this year. If you are OK with compact sedans, The Aspire with the DCT will be an awesome product to wait for.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 17:38   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Refueling this thread for some expert opinion. With many new hatchback automation options available now, which one would you guys suggest? I am looking at an automatic car within 10L budget for my wife.
There are lot of options. If you can share any specific criteria that you have, it will be easier to suggest. Currently under 10L you have the Nano AMT, Alto K10 AMT, Celerio AMT, Grand i10, Micra CVT, Brio, Polo GT TSI, Xcent, Amaze, Zest (diesel AMT), Dzire. Ford Aspire (To be launched) and Honda Jazz (To be Launched)

Quote:
I am also in the market for a new car. My requirements are pretty simple. It should be an automatic. It should have airbags and ABS. I don't care about anything else. (Apart from the budget - Can't spend more than 7-8 L)

I know this restricts my choices to Honda Brio and Nissan Micra. However, Brio seems really dated now. It doesn't even have Bluetooth in its infotainment center. No phone controls on the steering. (I know I can upgrade to a BT system by paying extra but still it wouldn't get steering controls)

Micra - I am skeptical about Nissan's after sales service.

I doubt the Jazz AT would come in under 8L OTR. Same goes with the Aspire. I think both of them would be between 9-10L On Road.

Although not a hatch, the Xcent is worth considering.

In any case I think you should wait. Aspire and Jazz look quite promising and I think one of these is the one to go for even if it means stretching the budget a little.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 13:40   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will say wait for the Jazz. it is coming with the CVT, and going by latest trends Honda should have much more updated and upgraded interiors as well in the new Jazz. I also expect a Brio upgrade, and also the CVT in place of the old Civic/City 5-speed box. A CVT except for the rubber band effect has all things going for it. Size, weight, economy are all in favour of the CVT. If they pull out the stops then rubber banding can be controlled by having fixed shift ratios electronically.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote